• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Goa, India (1 Viewer)

current news

Stuart
these news updates are really good, keeps the excitment bubbling along until i get out there at the end of March. the more you can add the closer to then the happier i will be!
Stuart Ling said:
Great Thick-knee - one this morning by Siolem Bridge over the River Chapora.
The bird is on the raised embankment surrounding the salt pan immediately west of the bridge on the Morji side. It can be reached by taking a track on the right hand side of the bridge which then carries on underneath the bridge.

Grey-headed Lapwing - still present today in rice paddies at Marna-Siolem. The taxi drivers are keeping news of this bird to themselves which seems unnecessary, so the following details should enable birders to see it independently. At the crossroads in Siolem, by the large church, take the road to Mapusa for 1.8km. On the right hand side you will see a cream coloured house with a white wall, both trimmed with red. The house is just before a white chapel. On the opposite side of the road is an obvious pull in with a mango tree in it, surrounded by old coconuts and rubbish. View the paddies from here and the bird is usually close by. It has been present since Nov. 21 so is presumably settled!

Also this morning 60 Pallas's and 300 Slender-billed Gulls at Morji Beach as well as 3 Barred Buttonquail. Between Siolem Bridge and Parsham, 20 Terek Sands and 9 Black-headed Ibis.

Regards

Stuart

A few records from 'PandaChris' from last week on another Birdforum thread:
"Lack of an experienced guide did mean that we had to do some of the work ourselves and though we probably saw less species than many visiting birders (about 190-200 in seven days) we did from time to time watch birds in places were birders may never have been before. Just exploring the immediate area around our hotel (Dona Paula - no other birders in the area) we found sites for Indian Blue Robin, White-throated Fantail, Grey-breasted (throated) Whistling Thrush, Malabar Skylark, Yellow-wattled Lapwing and others (I believe the lark/lapwing site is known to guides and that there's a Spotted Owlet in the areas as well, that we missed). We also saw Egyptian vultures at a couple of sites that were well away from any of the places normally visited by birders."
(Grey-breasted Whistling Thrush must be a typo!)

Dona Paula

whitburnmark said:
A few records from 'PandaChris' from last week on another Birdforum thread:
"Lack of an experienced guide did mean that we had to do some of the work ourselves and though we probably saw less species than many visiting birders (about 190-200 in seven days) we did from time to time watch birds in places were birders may never have been before. Just exploring the immediate area around our hotel (Dona Paula - no other birders in the area) we found sites for Indian Blue Robin, White-throated Fantail, Grey-breasted (throated) Whistling Thrush, Malabar Skylark, Yellow-wattled Lapwing and others (I believe the lark/lapwing site is known to guides and that there's a Spotted Owlet in the areas as well, that we missed). We also saw Egyptian vultures at a couple of sites that were well away from any of the places normally visited by birders."
(Grey-breasted Whistling Thrush must be a typo!)

Just to expand on this a little the Laughing Thrushes (not Whistling Thrushes!) were seen in a couple of places along the road to the Cuidade de Goa resort from the Dona Paula roundabout. The Indian Blue Robin and Fantails were seen from the beach path near the entrance to Ciudade de Goa which passes through a densly wooded area, mostly secondary growth with a few larger trees. The Robin was under a noticeable Cashew tree that formed a shady canopy on the down slope side of the tree and was a source of some delight as my partner had seen a female in Backwoods but I'd missed it. I reckon this male was better. The Fantails were a little further down the path and were quite noticeable.

The first Egyptian Vulture was from the cliffs a little further on from Ciudade de Goa, late afternoon and the second was much further north, on the following day (Sunday 26th February) over a road side quarry somewhere south of Siolim(?). Details will be in our trip report when I get round to it but both birds were photographed and are on our website - link below - click the photos link near the bottom of the home page. The photos aren't great, but I'll try to see if they were the same bird. Typical that the only vulture we saw was one we'f seen many times before.

The larks/pipits were in some open ground perhaps a mile beyond Ciudade de Goa, with the Sparrow Larks, which interested us the most, being on the right hand side of the side road, in a grassier area beyond the dry-stone walled 'paddock'. There's a walled of area to the right of the road, that seems to be used for public meetings. The walls are marked with white paint and the Desert Wheatear (presumably the one mentioned in other reports in this thread) was often in here. It had been used for a meeting by Sonia Gandhi and the Congress Party a few days before and was almost entirely floored with sand.

Back from my second trip to Goa. excellent 2 weeks but generally quieter than last year although I did get 29 new birds for the area, some listed below.
Ruddy-breasted Crake 1 at Biera Mar
Painted Snipe female showing very well at Biera Mar
Pintailed Snipe at Biera Mar helpfully alongside a Common Snipe to compare pattern on back and wings
Malabar Parakeet 1 at Molem and 2 at Tambri Surla
Malabar Trogon 1 male and 2 females plus second male calling at Tambri Surla
Blue-bearded Bee-eater 1 at Bondla gave excellent views, first picked up on call by Lloyd.
White-bellied Woodpecker 1 on way up to the waterfalls
Ashy-crowned Sparrow-lark, 2 pairs at Dona Paula one pair with two newly fledged young
Plain Martin, 3 between Arpora and Baga Fields
Tawny Pipit, 1 at Dona Paula
Woolly-necked Stork, 21 together on the crocodile boat trip

as last year my thanks go out to Lloyd for his invaluable help and good humour and for the large bottle of 'holy water', I've still got some left to drink!

the pictures taken varied but some attached, Sony W5 on my Kowa TSN 821 with 32xWA

Attachments

• ashy-crowned finch-lark_00.JPG
    ashy-crowned finch-lark_00.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 164
  • greenshank_00.JPG
    greenshank_00.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 187
  • malabar trogon_00.JPG
    malabar trogon_00.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 187
  • wire-tailed swallow_00.JPG
    wire-tailed swallow_00.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 167
  • yello-wattled lapwing_00.JPG
    yello-wattled lapwing_00.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 167
A few more pics

Of course the larks are Sparrow-lark, not Finch-lark as captioned - silly me!

Attachments

• baby finch-lark_00.JPG
    baby finch-lark_00.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 190
  • brown wood owl_00.JPG
    brown wood owl_00.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 208
  • green heron_00.JPG
    green heron_00.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 168
  • malabar pied hornbill_00.JPG
    malabar pied hornbill_00.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 179
  • red-wattled lapwing_00.JPG
    red-wattled lapwing_00.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 163
i will be going to GOA next month hope i can get some photo's half as good
anyone been recently that has any new info on whats around

back from my third visit to Goa, 5 - 18 Nov

IF YOU NEED A GUIDE USE LLOYD FERNANDES - HE IS AN EXCELLENT BIRDER AND A REALLY NICE BLOKE AND PROVIDES A GOOD BREAKFAST, CONTACT DETAILS AVAILABLE

some of the birds seen during the trip;

BIERA MAR

Brown Shrike
Paddyfield Warbler
Baillon's Crake
Ruddy-breasted Crake
Cinnamon Bittern - up to 3
Black Bittern - 1 by small pond
Painted Snipe - up to 4
Oriental Skylark
Bluethroat
Pacific Swift

CARIMBOLIN LAKE AND FIELDS

Ruddy shellduck - 3
Steppe Eagle - 2
Tawny Eagle - 1
Greater Spotted Eagle
Sea Eagle
Osprey
Pallid Harrier
Marsh Harrier
Oriental Honey Buzzard
Shikra
- Nice collection of raptors -

MORJIM

Small Pratincole - c60
Grey-headed Lapwing
River Tern - over salt pans by bridge
- very few gulls other than Brown-headed

BACKWOODS

Oriental Pygmy Kingfisher
Sri Lankan Frogmouth
Spot-Bellied Eagle Owl
Clamorous Reed warbler
Jerdon's Nightjar - 1 only

CHOROA ISLAND

Pallid Harrier - 5
Montague's Harrier - 1 male
Lesser Adjutant - 6

TRIP TO HAMPI

Black-shouldered Kite - 3
White-eyed Buzzard - 1
Black Ibis - 1
Rufous-tailed Lark - 1
Ashy-crowned Sparrow-lark - 7
Yellow-wattled Lapwing - 6
Red Collared Dove - lots
Yellow-eyed Babbler
COBRA

Alas I have still not caught up with a Pitta!!

Last edited:
overnight at bondla

When I was in Goa in feb 2005 our taxi driver remarked that overnight stays were possible at Bondla. It was getting pretty late in our stay so went uninvestigated.
Does anyone have any info on this? A mate is going to Goa after Christmas and would like to maximise his time, Backwoods is arranged and all other traditional sites pencilled in. A couple of days at Bondla and he'll be closing in on my tally. Actually on second thoughts, lets keep him in the dark!

Go on then, while I'm here...

Feb 2005

Beira Mar;
Paddyfield Warbler
Clamourous Reed Warbler
Baillons Crake
Pallid Harrier

Baga Fields;
Red Collared Dove
Isabelline Shrike

Arpora Shrimp Ponds:
Terek Sandpiper
Broad-billed Sandpiper (per A.N. Other)
Brown Shrike
Baya Weaver 775 roosting
Rosy Starling 300 roosting
Chestnut-tailed Starling 660 roosting

Zuari River:
Ruddy Shelduck 2 min, poss 4
Ruff
Peregrine

Maem Lake:
Little Spiderhunter
Crested Treeswift

Divar Island:
Rain Quail (skylark site)
Montagu's Harrier

The rest was the usual fare - but what usual fare!

When I was in Goa in feb 2005 our taxi driver remarked that overnight stays were possible at Bondla. It was getting pretty late in our stay so went uninvestigated.
Does anyone have any info on this? ...

I've stayed at Bondla on a good few occasions. I've always just turned up on the day and not had a problem booking in. However, I'm sure the reception there has a phone and the number could be obtained when in Goa (managed by Forestry Department) - just in case you don't like taking chances. If by some remote chance you turn up and you can't get booked in, there's several hotels in Ponda not too far away. I can't remember the price of Bondla exactly but it was somewhere in the region of £3-4 per night. Last time I was there, the huts had been refurbished a little, but they're still fairly basic. Don't expect hot running water, luxury beds and insect free rooms!! The restaurant provides good but fairly basic food, but you need to tell them in advance you'll be eating so they can get more provisions if needed.
Being on-site early morning and late evening is a huge bonus. If you stay at least a couple of nights, you've got the chance to explore different areas for nocturnal birds. The approach road (the last mile before the reception) was generally the best area for Frogmouth and Oriental Scops, the reservoir pond was good for Grey Nightjar and Brown Fish Owl, whereas the gardens between the zoo and the reception was good for Jerdon's Nightjar. A friend had response from playback of Great-eared Nightjar on the hillside opposite the reception a few years ago. Plenty of exciting possibilities!

Thanks for that - I'll pass on the gen.

I personally didnt get to Dona Paula on my visit because the considered opinion was that it was under development. I have noticed since that people are still getting the sparrowlark there - does anyone know the latest?

Can anyone offer a comparison between the islands Charao and Divar? I did the latter in search of Oriental Skylark (successfully) and raptors (a few) but not the former.

A site hardly ever mentioned is the rubbish tip at Saligao zor, the popular Wood Owl stake-out. Rather than approach the owl (which we didnt find) directly uphill from the spring we took a right just before the last house, up through a little open ground, over a stone wall onto a ridge. Following the ridge left will bring one to the trees where the owl roosts. However, even further beyond this area is the rubbish dump where we encountered the odd raptor, Blue-faced Malkoha and a few scrubland birds.

Has anyone tried a more prolonged watch here? We had hoped for vultures and more raptors and storks but my fiancee wasnt over-enamoured of the place and another of our number had been less than 100% and was suffering, so we didnt linger more than an hour or so.

Chorao vs Divar - no comparison in my eyes. I've had some good days on Chorao but fantastic days on Divar. The Harrier roost is excellent through much of the winter (into double figures of Pallids some evenings plus the odd Monty's), and for scarce birds, Divar wins hands down (for me) - eg Oriental Prat, Greater Flamingo, Isabelline Wheatear, also Red-necked Stint in the past etc. Divar is comparitively unpopulated and so less distrubed and it feels easier to wander where you want. It's much better for larks (esp Rufous-tailed, Oriental Skylark and Black-crowned Sparrow-lark).
Saligao is going a bit downhill with more disturbance and development (or at least it was last time I was there). Brown Wood Owls had decreased and were harder to find, but there was still a decent range of commoner woodland stuff. Raptors do seem to be quite good in this area - I've seen a few Hobbys, Amur Falcons and Indian Spotted Eagles, and I'm sure being one of the biggest hillsides in the immediate area, a prolonged watch would be productive.
Unfortunately (for now), vultures are a something of the past in northern Goa.

Thanks.

I can pretty much remember the Oriental Skylark site and the spot we skywatched from. Do you have a particular plan of attack for Divar or know of a driver who knows it particularly well. We used Chand (Chandra?), Beira Mar (where else!) who knew quite a bit, but like you say, Divar has that "anything's possible" feel and I feel we left it pretty much unexplored.

Marinha Dourada Hotel

I went to Goa in November 2004 with my non-birding wife and stayed at the Marinha Dourada. I may be going back there this winter but cannot find any tour operator that now uses the Marinha Dourada. Is it still open or does anyone know any tour operators that still use this hotel?

I went to Goa in November 2004 with my non-birding wife and stayed at the Marinha Dourada. I may be going back there this winter but cannot find any tour operator that now uses the Marinha Dourada. Is it still open or does anyone know any tour operators that still use this hotel?

The Marinha Dourada seems to be still covered by Thompson (it's advertised on Thompson website as featuring in Winter Collection and Faraway Shores brochures). I've stayed there last couple of times I've been and booked online with Directline Holidays (search Google for their website). They still have the MD available this winter. Example price for 14 nights in November was £665. Damn good value considering location and quality of hotel.

The Marinha Dourada seems to be still covered by Thompson (it's advertised on Thompson website as featuring in Winter Collection and Faraway Shores brochures). I've stayed there last couple of times I've been and booked online with Directline Holidays (search Google for their website). They still have the MD available this winter. Example price for 14 nights in November was £665. Damn good value considering location and quality of hotel.

Cheers Mark,

That's a clincher, guess where I am going this winter?

Thanks.
I can pretty much remember the Oriental Skylark site and the spot we skywatched from. Do you have a particular plan of attack for Divar or know of a driver who knows it particularly well. We used Chand (Chandra?), Beira Mar (where else!) who knew quite a bit, but like you say, Divar has that "anything's possible" feel and I feel we left it pretty much unexplored.

Depends a bit on the tide. If there's mud on show, I'd try do the pools first, both on the road down to the Old Goa ferry and by walking out to the edge of the mangroves past the football pitch from the 'big tree' on the road back to the Ribander ferry. One point to remember is that the tide on the inland pools on Divar is 1-2 hours later than the estuary itself - it takes that long to rise and work its way through the mangroves. It works out well though, as birds are pushed off the main river with high tide and there's still mud available for them on Divar.
The harrier roost is obviously best in the evening, walking out from the village in the island centre back towards the mangrove edge. This track is also excellent early morning as birds leave roost - I once had over 500 Blue-tailed Bee-eaters leaving roost together there.
During hot times of the day, there's nothing better than sitting in the shade of the big solitary tree and scanning around.
Drivers - I've always used Lloyd Fernandez from Calanagute. A friend of mine has run birding tours to Goa since the mid '90s and has used Lloyd throughout. He has a variety of vehicles and knows all the sites well (also researches a few new ones in the non-tourist season). Plus he's a pretty decent birder and supplies very good breakfasts!
Quite a few of the established Beira Mar drivers have moved on in the last couple of years and I'm always a bit wary of the newer taxi drivers who say they can show you all the sites and all the species, but go shy when you mention some lesser known species. They all know where to see Indian Pitta and Brown Fish Owl, but are limited to birds at the more well known sites.

Nice one.

I remember Lloyd - shared a boat with him and a couple of his customers when I was after Collared King'. Bumped into him at Maem too. He's good company when you're not paying him, ha! ha! Ah me - what memories!

This is all gen I'm gathering for a mate - but I'm beginning to get a bit restless myself!

If you've any up to the minute gen - feel free, we've got until Feb. Guess returning birders who go in the first winter period (i.e. Oct - Dec) will be able to bring us up to date. Hope they add to your sightings query. I'm intrigued to know what difference a good/bad monsoon makes.

I'm not usually one who returns to a place time and again but come on, birds, curry, curry, birds ...

Goa Trip Report

Goa, India
Jan 28th – Feb 12th, 2008

My wife Sandra and I decided to book a holiday to Goa after talking to several of our friends who have been there on a number of occasions.
We booked a package tour through Hays travel on behalf of Manos costing £1,114.
This included a one night’s stay with parking for two weeks at Britannia Airport Hotel near Manchester airport, flights with my travel to Dabolim, in flight meals included, coach transfer to the resort hotel The Riverside Regency in Baga Beach on a bed & breakfast basis.
Food and drink is very reasonable, 6 Bacardi’s and bottled Cokes, six large bottles of Kingfisher lager and two meals would normally come to about £14

Visas and inoculations
We applied to the High Commission of India for our visa’s in December total cost £74 = 2x postal orders and special delivery self addressed envelopes
Two injections from the practice nurse (Hepatitis A, Polio, Diphtheria, Typhoid, & Tetanus)
We were also advised to take antimalarial tablets, Paludrine/Avloclor at £30 for two boxes.
(Although a few people say these aren’t necessary we took them just in case)

Books used
Birds of Southern India: Richard Grimmett & Tim Inskipp and various trip reports from the net

Sites Visited Guides Used

Morjim Beach. Lloyd J. Fernandes.
Bondla. Rama M Govekar (Raymond)
Carambolim Mahesh Dhargalkar
Maem Lake Naresh
Batim Lake
Zauri River
Soilim
Fort Aguada
Saligoa
Apora Woods
Baga Hill and Fields

Birds Seen

Barred Buttonquail: 4 at Morjim Dunes.
Indian Peafowl: 11 seen on the road into Calangute, also heard on Baga hill.
Lesser Whistling-duck: Very common at Batim lake
Gadwall: Common at Batim Lake.
Spot-billed Duck: 3 at Batim lake
Northern Shoveler: Common at Batim lake.
Cotton Pygmy-goose: Common at Batim Lake.
Common Teal: Common at Batim lake.
Garganey: Common at Batim Lake
Northern Pintail: Common at Batim lake.
Black-rumped Flameback: 1 at Baga hill.
Greater Flameback: 1 at Bondla.
White-cheeked Barbet: 5 on Baga hill, 3 at Morjim
Coppersmith Barbet: Present at many sites.
Malabar Grey hornbill: 1 at Bondla.
Malabar Pied Hornbill: 2 at Maem lake.
Common Hoopoe: 1 in Baga fields.
Indian Roller: Common.
Common Kingfisher: Common.
Stork-billed Kingfisher: Common.
White-throated Kingfisher: Common.
Black-capped Kingfisher: 3 on the Zauri river
Collared Kingfisher: 7 on the zauri river.
Pied Kingfisher: Singles on the Zauri river, and Carambolim.
Green Bee-eater: Very Common.
Blue-tailed Bee-eater: Very Common.
Chestnut-headed Bee-eater: 4 at Bondla.
Asian Koel: Common.
Greater Coucal: 1 at Biera Mar hotel.
Alexandrine Parakeet: 2 at Biera Mar, 2 at Soilim, 4 over Baga hill.
Rose-ringed Parakeet: Common.
Plum-headed Parakeet: Common.
Indian Swiftlet: Common.
Asian Palm Swift: Common.
Alpine swift: Fairly common.
House Swift: Fairly common.
Crested Treeswift: 5 at Bondla, 1 at Biera Mar.
Barn Owl: Singles at hotel, and Biera Mar.
Jungle Owlet: 1 at soilim.
Spotted Owlet: 1 at hotel.
Brown Wood Owl: 1 at Saligoa
Brown Hawk Owl: 2 at Carambolim.
Grey Nightjar: 1 at Maem lake.
Spotted Dove: Common
Emerald Dove: 1 at Maem lake.
Orange-breasted Green Pigeon: 1 at Maem lake.
White-breasted Waterhen: Several at Biera Mar.
Purple swamphen: Very Common at Carambolim lake, 2 at Batim lake.
Common Moorhen: 2 at Biera Mar.
Common coot: 8 at Batim lake.
Pintail Snipe: Fairly common at Biera Mar.
Common Snipe: 5 in Baga fields.
Greater Painted Snipe: 2 at Biera Mar.
Eurasian Curlew: 4 on the Zauri river.
Common Redshank: Common.
Marsh Sandpiper: 8 at Marinha Dourada saltpans.
Common Greenshank: Fairly common.
Green Sandpiper: Fairly Common.
Wood Sandpiper: 3 at Biera Mar.
Terek Sandpiper: several on the Zauri river.
Common Sandpiper: Fairly common.
Little Stint: 1 at Marinha Dourada saltpans.
Bronze-winged Jacana: 2 at Maem lake, 3 at Baga fields.
Black-winged Stilt: 6 at Marinha Dourada saltpans.
Little Ringed Plover: Common.
Kentish Plover: Common.
Lesser Sand Plover: Common on Morjim beach, 2 at Marinha Dourada saltpans.
Greater Sandplover: Common on Morjim beach.
Yellow-wattled Lapwing: 5 at Soilim, 2 near Calangute
Red-wattled Lapwing: Fairly common.
Small Pratincole: 23 at Marinha Dourada saltpans.
Arctic Skua: 1 at Morjim beach.
Heuglin’s Gull: Common at Morjim beach.
Caspian Gull: Common on Morjim beach.
Pallas’s Gull: Common on Morjim beach.
Brown-headed Gull: Common on morjim beach.
Black-headed Gull: Common on Morjim beach.
Slender-billed Gull: Several on Morjim beach.
Common Gull: 1 on Morjim beach
Gull-billed Tern: Fairly Common
Lesser Crested Tern: Several on Zauri river and Morjim beach.
Greater Crested Tern: 20 on Zauri river.
Sandwich Tern: 2 on Morjim beach.
Osprey: 1 at Biera Mar.
Black-shouldered Kite: 8 noted at various sites.
Black Kite: Very Common.
Brahminy Kite: Very Common.
White-bellied Sea Eagle: Singles at Baga hill, Zauri river, and over Apora
Crested Serpent Eagle: 1 at Bondla
Marsh Harrier: 2 at Biera Mar
Shikra: Fairly common.
Besra: 1 at Maem lake.
Oriental Honey Buzzard: 2 over Baga Fields.
Indian Spotted Eagle: 2 at Soilim, 1 at Carambolim lake.
Greater Spotted Eagle: 1 at Soilim.
Steppe Eagle: 1 at Bondla.
Booted Eagle: 1 over Baga hill, several over Baga fields.
Changeable Hawk Eagle: 1 at Maem lake.
Common Kestrel: Present at several sites.
Peregrine Falcon: 1 over Baga fields.
Little Cormorant: 1 on Baga river on several occasions.
Indian Cormorant: Several on Zauri river.
Western Reef Heron: 1 at Morjim beach, 3 on Zauri river.
Great Egret: Common.
Intermediate Egret: Common.
Grey Heron: 2 on the Zauri River, 2 at biera Mar.
Purple Heron: 2 at Biera Mar
Indian Pond Heron: Very common.
Little Heron: Common on the Zauri river, 1 on Baga River
Black-crowned Night Heron: Common on the Zauri river.
Cinnamon Bittern: 1 at Biera Mar.
Black-headed Ibis: 46 on the Zauri river.
Eurasian Spoonbill: 21 on the Zauri river.
Asian Openbill: c60 at Soilim.
Woolly-necked Stork: 4 at Biera Mar.
Lesser Adjutant: 16 circling over the Zauri river.
Indian Pitta: 1 at Fort Aguada.
Blue-winged Leafbird: A few pairs on Baga hill.
Golden-fronted Leafbird: A male on Baga hill.
Brown Shrike: 1 at Biera Mar.
Bay-backed Shrike: 1 at Morjim dunes
Long-tailed Shrike: Common
Rufous Treepie: 2 at Maem lake
House Crow: Very common.
Large-billed Crow: 2 at Carambolim, 1 on Baga fields
Eurasian Golden Oriole: Common.
Black-hooded Oriole: 6 on Baga hill.
Ashy Woodswallow: 3 at Biera Mar, 2 at Marinha Dourada saltpans.
Large Cuckooshrike: 1 at Maem lake.
Small Minivet: Present on Baga hill.
Bar-winged Flycatcher-shrike: 2 at Bondla.
Black Drongo: Common.
Ashy Drongo: Common
White-bellied Drongo: 2 at Apora
Bronzed Drongo: 2 at Bondla.
Greater Racket-tailed Drongo: 1 at Bondla
White-throated Fantail: 1 at Carambolim.
White-browed Fantail: 1 at Bondla
Black-naped Monarch: 1 at Bondla
Asian Paradise Flycatcher: 2 at Bondla, 2 at Saligoa
Common Iora: Singles at Bondla, Apora, and Baga hill.
Blue-capped Rock Thrush 1 at Bondla.
Malabar Whistling Thrush: 3 at Bondla, 1 at Maem lake
Orange-headed Thrush: 2 at Bondla, 1 at Apora
Blackbird: Singles at Bondla, Maem lake and Baga hill.
White-bellied Blue Flycatcher: 1 at Bondla
Tickell’s Blue Flycatcher: 3 at Bondla.
Bluethroat: 3 on Baga fields
Oriental Magpie Robin: Fairly common
White-rumped Shama: 1 at Bondla.
Indian Robin: 5 on Baga hill.
Stonechat: 6 on Baga fields.
Pied Buschat: Singles on Baga Fields and Marinha Dourada saltpans
Chestnut-tailed Starling: 16 at Biera Mar.
Brahminy Starling: 7 at Morjim.
Rosy Starling: Common.
Common Myna: Common
Jungle Myna: Common.
Hill Myna: 5 at Biera Mar.
Velvet-fronted Nuthatch: 2 at Bondla.
Black-lored Tit: 8 on Baga hill.
Pale Martin: 3 at Bondla.
Barn Swallow: Common.
Wire-tailed Swallow: 11 at Bondla
Red-rumped Swallow: Common
Streak-throated Swallow: Fairly common at Carambolim
Grey-headed Bulbul: 2 on Baga hill.
Black-crested Bulbul: 3 at Bondla.
Red-whiskered Bulbul: Common.
Red-vented Bulbul: 2 at Maem lake.
White-browed Bulbul: 1 at Bondla.
Yellow-browed Bulbul: 2 at Bondla.
Zitting Cisticola: 3 on Baga fields.
Plain Prinia: 2 on Baga fields.
Blyth’s Reed Warbler: Common.
Clamorous Reed Warbler: 1 at Biera Mar
Common Tailorbird: Singles on Baga hill and Biera Mar.
Greenish Warbler: Common.
Western Crowned Warbler: 1 at Bondla.
Puff-throated Babbler: 1 at hotel, 5 at Apora.
Dark-fronted Babbler: 12 at bondla.
Jungle Babbler: 3 at Apora, and 8 at Maem lake.
Brown-cheeked Fulvetta: 2 on Baga hill.
Greater Short-toed Lark: 1 on Baga fields.
Malabar Lark: Common.
Oriental Skylark: 2 on Baga Fields.
Thick-billed Flowerpecker: 4 on Baga hill.
Plain Flowerpecker: Common.
Purple-rumped Sunbird: Common.
Crimson-backed Sunbird: 2 at Bondla.
Purple Sunbird: 3 at Bondla.
Loten’s Sunbird: 2 on Baga hill, 2 at Bondla.
White-browed Wagtail: Singles on Baga river and Baga fields.
Yellow Wagtail: 11 at Carambolim.
Grey Wagtail: 1 at Bondla.
Richards Pipit: Several on Baga fields and Carambolim.
Paddyfield Pipit: Common.
Blyth’s Pipit: 4 on Baga fields
Tree Pipit: 9 on Baga fields.
House Sparrow: Common.
Baya Weaver: Common on Baga fields.
White-rumped Munia: Common.
Scaly-breasted Munia: 2 on Baga fields.
Black-headed Munia: 9 at Bondla.

A total of 203 birds seen of which 139 were new species for me. Images can be viewed on my website:

http://www.tomtamsbirdimages.co.uk/india.htm

Tom Tams.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back