• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sound ID (1 Viewer)

Miguel Berkemeier

Not the Luscinia sound but the other sound that is heard and seems to be just one note! It seemed to be made by a bird flying over the area (near the river)

(Vila Velha de Ródao - Portugal)

Attachments

• MVI_2813.mp3
    353.5 KB · Views: 44
  • MVI_2814.mp3
    154.4 KB · Views: 28
  • MVI_2815.mp3
    303.3 KB · Views: 21
Hmm thank you!
Curiously in that area any of both species have any record. But I was around 50m close to Tagus river and it was at 23h00.
Should be a bird in migration? Or a nocturnal dispersal?

Hmm thank you!
Curiously in that area any of both species have any record. But I was around 50m close to Tagus river and it was at 23h00.
Should be a bird in migration? Or a nocturnal dispersal?

Although Stone Curlew isn't shown to be proven as breeding in the exact area of Portas de Rodão, I'd be very surprised if they didn't breed close somewhere, judging by the habitats. Same with Black-winged Stilt, which can breed on the tiniest of little reservoirs in the area. Also, BWT does fly some distance from its breeding site at night, calling based on my personal experience. Of course Stone Curlew is largely nocturnal down here. I'm not entirely sure but it sounds more like SC...but not to different from some of BWT calls either. Sorry I can't be clearer ;)

Although Stone Curlew isn't shown to be proven as breeding in the exact area of Portas de Rodão, I'd be very surprised if they didn't breed close somewhere, judging by the habitats. Same with Black-winged Stilt, which can breed on the tiniest of little reservoirs in the area. Also, BWT does fly some distance from its breeding site at night, calling based on my personal experience. Of course Stone Curlew is largely nocturnal down here. I'm not entirely sure but it sounds more like SC...but not to different from some of BWT calls either. Sorry I can't be clearer ;)
Thanks again! ;)
Magnus Robb initially told me that this sound should be an eagle call (probably Bonelli) probably angry with an eagle owl. But after he thought that it's probably just an otter!

Thanks again! ;)
Magnus Robb initially told me that this sound should be an eagle call (probably Bonelli) probably angry with an eagle owl. But after he thought that it's probably just an otter!

Thanks, good, that's that - Bonelli's don't call so much but now we know more. Its a tough call indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back