Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Norfolk birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Sunday 9th February 2014, 16:18   #22251
Archie Opteryx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songkhran View Post
Welcome to Birdforum stuarta21, many times I envy people who are just starting out on their birding careers, you have many great experiences and finds ahead of you, enjoy, for what it is worth here are a few tips:-

1. Start right at the beginning, look at some very obvious birds, Great Crested Grebe, Green Woodpeckers and Kestrels - acquaint yourself with these birds fully.

2. Buy some field guides - this one is very good by Lars Johnsson called Birds of wood, park and garden, very naturalistic illustrations. If you can't get that get the new Helm guide of confusion species. When you get home from a good days birding pour over these birds and try to absorb as much information as possible.

3. If you can draw, buy some tracing paper and draw some of these birds, try to work out the different parts of the birds without finding out their names - start with head, tail, beak etc, work out how the bird can fly using its different feathers, stick the tracing up around your home and office, look at them everyday, imagine the excitement of seeing these birds in the field.

4. Call Birdline 09068700245 once a day in the evening, plan your day according to what you want to see, on many days there just won't be much about, so go to places that you really like. Don't call Birdline just before going out birding in the morning, there won't be many updates - you'll just be wasting your money!

5. When you arrive at a particular site, be in a state delirious excitement that you literally have to race to the sightings board, be careful though these sighting sometimes show all the birds that have occurred in the last week, so the chances are you will only see about 1/5 of the birds reported.

6. You will find that just by turning up at sites eventually an absolutely corking rarity will have turned up and there will be birders around to guide you through its ID. I'm afraid it will be about 30 years before you find your own rarity - but it will be worth the wait!

7. Try to appreciate common birds, I know you probably want to see all the rare stuff but if you don't now you will have to wait another 20 years before you realise the common stuff is what it is all about.

8. There is a really good magazine called Twitching, you can find this is some shops selling bird books but many experienced birders will have back copies - you may have to haggle!

9. Join the RSPB, for the youngsters there is the YOC and look out for a great cartoon called Rook, (I'm not sure its still going though), some of the trip reports are mouthwatering.

10. You will see lots of birders these days carrying very expensive binoculars, you don't have to splash out massively if all - try out every binocular and find the one that suits you - a 250 quid pair of second hand Zeiss West will do nicely.

11. Obviously you can't afford a camera at the moment, but rest assured photographing birds is very difficult! There are only one or two decent photographers about - their photos are split into three categories 'excellent', 'good' and 'record'

So that's about it - be humble, realise that there is a wealth of knowledge that will take a lifetime to learn and have fun!
Old Sunday 9th February 2014, 16:18   #22252
Archie Opteryx

Some more Glossy Ibis picks here
Old Sunday 9th February 2014, 22:52   #22253
VillagerFred

Um, its not called the YOC anymore....
Old Monday 10th February 2014, 18:40   #22254
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky09 View Post
Well said Jim! Totally agree with every word said.
Also im Looking forward to hearing about ur coming and goings from the patch or should it be " back garden" come next week!!
Happy birding
Shaky
Tideliner,

thanks for your response earlier. A lot of what you say makes sense, good birding to you.

Ricky, thanks for the comment, although I feel your positivity may be down to Kevin Nolan rather than my post.....

Updates from the new garden in Surlingham coming to a forum near you, soon.

Cheers,
Jim.
Old Monday 10th February 2014, 19:49   #22255
john.roberts

Roydon common

Can anybody help with directions for birding at Roydon Common will be coming down to Norfolk next week staying in Kings Lynn.
Old Tuesday 11th February 2014, 18:21   #22256
Lizzieliz87

For Roydon Common: at the knights hill roundabout take the a148 to Cromer. Then very quickly take first right signposted Roydon. The car park is along this stretch. Go past the pine trees on right hand side and look out for public footpath sign as entrance is near second one on right hand side. Look out for pile of old fencing in a field. That's at the car park.

Hope you enjoy your visit (I am one of the reserves wardens). The hen harriers about all day.
Old Tuesday 11th February 2014, 18:41   #22257
john.roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzieliz87 View Post
For Roydon Common: at the knights hill roundabout take the a148 to Cromer. Then very quickly take first right signposted Roydon. The car park is along this stretch. Go past the pine trees on right hand side and look out for public footpath sign as entrance is near second one on right hand side. Look out for pile of old fencing in a field. That's at the car park.

Hope you enjoy your visit (I am one of the reserves wardens). The hen harriers about all day.
Thanks for your help will definitely be visiting I'll pm you any sightings.john
Old Wednesday 12th February 2014, 08:37   #22258
ed_t_53

Titchwell February 11th

Yesterday's sightings:

Avocet - 34 on the freshmarsh
Goldeneye - 1 male on the freshmarsh, 30 on the sea
Water Pipit - 1 on volunteer marsh
Barn owl - 1 from fen hide

Ed.
Old Wednesday 12th February 2014, 22:09   #22259
sacha

Black Scoter Titchwell 2013.. Not proven
Enough said.
Old Thursday 13th February 2014, 21:59   #22260
Stratton Birder

Red Kite low north west over the A140 north of Long Stratton today at 2.30pm.
Old Friday 14th February 2014, 05:47   #22261
AFeather

swan ID

These birds are in a field south of staithe road near potter heigham. Id like a second opinion on the Id, I thought Bewicks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0116.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	483599  
Old Friday 14th February 2014, 05:55   #22262
paulptct
Paul Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFeather View Post
These birds are in a field south of staithe road near potter heigham. Id like a second opinion on the Id, I thought Bewicks.
Bewick yes for your picture.
The Bewick and Whooper swans betweenLudham, Catfield and Potter seem to be moving around more this year. They also seem to be more separated into smaller groups.
Though pretty much staying in the same 3 village triangle.
Old Friday 14th February 2014, 07:26   #22263
AFeather

Thanks, I've seen them hanging around with a couple of cranes. They've been feeding in this field for the last three days, I've seen them arriving at dawn from the NE and leaving at dusk in the same direction.
Old Friday 14th February 2014, 09:29   #22264
Lawts
Supa Silly Un

Holt Parrots

Any more specific details available re where they are. I got them a couple of months ago in the main car park by the buildings and children's play area. Is that still where they are or have they moved? Someone said car park field - not sure where they mean.

Thanks.
Old Friday 14th February 2014, 13:54   #22265
STS

You'll need to head south from Holt on the B1149 and go past the entrance to the Country Park. After about half a mile or so, just before the road goes down into quite a dip (!) there's a grassy area on the left where you can park or immediately past that there is limited space on both sides of the road. The birds were on the west side of the road this morning, their usual site I believe. Around 6 Commons were with about 24 Parrots.
I hope this is helpful.

Best of luck,
Thomas
Old Friday 14th February 2014, 14:51   #22266
ed_t_53

Titchwell 14th February

Today's sightings:

Avocet - 42 on the freshmarsh
Red-crested Pochard - Male and female on the freshmarsh
Goosander - Female on the freshmarsh
Hen Harrier - Ringtail seen over the tidal marsh
Brambling - 1 on the feeders at the vc
Scaup - 2 on the freshmarsh
Glaucous Gull - Juvenille past on the sea
Great northern diver - 1 on the sea

I'm away up north for job interviews/American warblers next week so the next update won't be until Thursday.

Happy birding,

Ed.
Old Friday 14th February 2014, 16:06   #22267
Robert S J Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_t_53 View Post
Today's sightings:

Avocet - 42 on the freshmarsh
Red-crested Pochard - Male and female on the freshmarsh
Goosander - Female on the freshmarsh
Hen Harrier - Ringtail seen over the tidal marsh
Brambling - 1 on the feeders at the vc
Scaup - 2 on the freshmarsh
Glaucous Gull - Juvenille past on the sea
Great northern diver - 1 on the sea

I'm away up north for job interviews/American warblers next week so the next update won't be until Thursday.

Happy birding,

Ed.
Do you know what way the Glauc went?
Old Friday 14th February 2014, 16:58   #22268
Stratton Birder

Some excellent pre-rain east Norfolk birding slotted in by myself and Geoff Bowen this morning which included both the Slavonian Grebe and redhead Smew on Filby Broad along with a good count of 80-90 Shoveler and two Bar-headed Geese which were nice to see regardless of their origin.

A quick pop-in to check Rollesby Broad in search of the Scaup which was dipped earlier at Ormesby Little Broad produced a Bittern instead which was just as rewarding and although we also dipped Snow Bunting at Caister, a quick drive up the coast to Winterton got me a personal record count of c150 birds on the north beach pending a more accurate count that should be attained by studying photographs later.

The Black-throated Diver showed well on Horsey Mere and another Bittern flew over the back. I can't remember the last time I saw Bitterns at two separate sites in Norfolk on a winters day if ever, so very nice indeed.

Although the rain had now arrived, news of the Scaup again at Ormesby found us returning to this site but this time with success which completed the trio of these lovely wintering birds - and now in full twitching mode and full of positive vibes, the Waxwing in Norwich along Ber Street proved too irresistible an opportunity to turn up and sure enough, there it was feeding on an apple in the tree from just a few feet away.

What with a backing cast which included Kingfisher, several Marsh Harriers, Buzzards and Goldeneye, a couple of Marsh Tits and courting Great Crested Grebes it was a cracking few hours of Broadland birding.

Steve.

Last edited by Stratton Birder : Friday 14th February 2014 at 17:06.
Old Friday 14th February 2014, 17:05   #22269
john miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS View Post
You'll need to head south from Holt on the B1149 and go past the entrance to the Country Park. After about half a mile or so, just before the road goes down into quite a dip (!) there's a grassy area on the left where you can park or immediately past that there is limited space on both sides of the road. The birds were on the west side of the road this morning, their usual site I believe. Around 6 Commons were with about 24 Parrots.
I hope this is helpful.

Best of luck,
Thomas
Please do not block the entrance to the clearing where the Parrots are. Last week the owner was doing some work in there. He has asked people to leave the site before and if he cannot get his tractor etc in it might be the end of any access.

John
Old Saturday 15th February 2014, 23:14   #22270
Penny Clarke

6 Fulmers at Coastguards. Merlin from Bishop's Hide NWT, Cley late Saturday afternoon.

Penny
Old Sunday 16th February 2014, 07:45   #22271
stuart white

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Black Scoter Titchwell 2013.. Not proven
Enough said.
Where did you read that ? Is there a new WIP out or have you got inside information !?
Old Sunday 16th February 2014, 08:27   #22272
Mark Batten

Stuart. Follow BBRC on twitter. They tweet decisions.
Old Sunday 16th February 2014, 08:57   #22273
sacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Batten View Post
Stuart. Follow BBRC on twitter. They tweet decisions.
Hi, yes that is where I too saw the announcement
Sacha
Old Sunday 16th February 2014, 09:13   #22274
Mark Batten

Something about a Great Reed Warbler at Holkham in May. Do not remember that one! https://twitter.com/_bbrc/status/434577304136585217

Last edited by Mark Batten : Sunday 16th February 2014 at 10:21.
Old Sunday 16th February 2014, 11:17   #22275
stuart white

You used to get an email from them, now you get a dear john on twitter! Just found out one of mine was rejected, that's made my day!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: