• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine Falcon? (1 Viewer)

adampaul

I believe in God, only I spell it N.A.T.U.R.E. - F
Hi again,

I'm ready to accept the attached as a Tundra? Peregrine Falcon, but if anyone can confirm/deny, I would appreciate it, as if it is a Peregrine, it's the only photo I have of one. I can't really make it out as anything else (Kestrels were present too, but this doesn't look at all right for a Kestrel, and was soaring high, with slow wingbeats), but it was faraway and flying very fast.

Photo was taken on 10 Sept near Mono Lake, California.

Thanks!
_Adam

Attachments

• CRW_3203.jpg
    CRW_3203.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 368
adampaul said:
Hi again,

I'm ready to accept the attached as a Tundra? Peregrine Falcon, but if anyone can confirm/deny, I would appreciate it, as if it is a Peregrine, it's the only photo I have of one. I can't really make it out as anything else (Kestrels were present too, but this doesn't look at all right for a Kestrel, and was soaring high, with slow wingbeats), but it was faraway and flying very fast.

Photo was taken on 10 Sept near Mono Lake, California.

Thanks!
_Adam
Hi,
Can rule out kestrel.Wing shape leads to peregrine but the head and beak shape look puzzling. However, I think these to be a trick of light/camera angle. If the wing beats were regular and deep with the bird flying in a straight line, relatively low then I would plump for peregrine. Having never stepped foot in the USA not familiar with species that may be similar, but from what you have here, I think peregrine. Had one over my house this August, a first for me.
Jono

[Check the black cap and "moustache" and white cheeks.[/QUOTE]

Hi Always wondered as to the whereabouts of the remaining Third Reich leaders.
Jono

Thanks everyone!

The bird was flying straight and fast, with steady wingbeats. It was pretty high overhead. Agree it's not a kestrel - we saw one there as well, and its wings flapped very quickly.

Didn't fly like a gull. The most likely gull in this area would be California; I learned that they're the only ones who can cope with the extreme saltiness of Mono Lake and enjoy its bounty of alkalai(?sp) flies, although others pass through (eg. a lone Bonaparte we also saw).

I'm not sure I can convince myself that there is a black moustache and white cheeks in the photo - maybe if I squint at it :). Still looks pretty good for peregrine to me.

Thanks!
_Adam

Looks fine for Peregrine to me. The lack of white on the cheek suggests a Pacific bird, which would be consistent with the S California location.

Rgds

Greg

I think it would be safe to say that it is a Peregrine Falcon, although the picture is sort of puzzling. Definatley not a Kestrel though.

I know I am on thin ice here, but that bill does not look like a falcon to me, more like an Asian Lapwing of some darkheaded sort. Each feather in the primaries look somewhat broad, and even more curious, for each it looks like there is a dark edge to a lighter feather -- could possibly be the backlighting, even though I have not found any picture of a falcon that shows this.

If it indeed is a falcon, there is a third option that needs to be ruled out: I have myself seen prairie falcon at Mono Lake. If the dark in the head is indeed a moustacial stripe, that probably is too broad for Prairie, but it needed to be mentioned.

Finally, a technical question: has this image been sharpened, and if so by how much?

cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back