• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatears - Ethiopia Feb 24 (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

I have these wheatears ID'd as
1. Cyprus
2. Isabelline

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_6122.jpg
    IMG_6122.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6139.jpg
    IMG_6139.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 59
Isabelline is ok. I'm not sure that we can be positive on such a noisy photo, but I'd rather say a Pied Wheatear on the first.

Interesting, I thought that at first, too. The photo is pretty bad, I admit, but I thought that the extent of white on the nape and the larger black 'pathway' between white in breast and back of head favored Cyprus. It was also notably stockier in appearance in the field.

Interesting, I thought that at first, too. The photo is pretty bad, I admit, but I thought that the extent of white on the nape and the larger black 'pathway' between white in breast and back of head favored Cyprus. It was also notably stockier in appearance in the field.

I've seen thousands of Pied W. in Ethiopia, and finding one Cyprus can be tough, although there are there; something like 1 for 500.. I've noticed how variable is Pied, and there is nothing here that make me exclude the default species, although, as said, with my knowledge, the photo is not enough for a positive ID. Other more skillful guys might have a better, authoritative opinion...

I've seen thousands of Pied W. in Ethiopia, and finding one Cyprus can be tough, although there are there; something like 1 for 500.. I've noticed how variable is Pied, and there is nothing here that make me exclude the default species, although, as said, with my knowledge, the photo is not enough for a positive ID. Other more skillful guys might have a better, authoritative opinion...

I certainly agree with you on the ratio of Cyprus to Pied, my experience is the same... I've only seen one Cyprus in the 4 years I've been here in Ethiopia. Unless someone with more experience can tell from my bad photo, I will have to mark it as pied.

Anybody have any thoughts one way or another? Perhaps Valéry is right and it is simply too poor of a photo to make a call.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back