Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Oregon in Fall

Old Tuesday 5th August 2008, 12:19   #1
Jim Lundberg

Red face Oregon in Fall

I'm vacationing in Oregon in late September with plans to spend a few days in each of Newport, Florence, Bend and Lebanon/Albany. In addition to shorebirds, I would like to photograph Clark's Nutcracker, Townsend's Solitaire, Grey Jay, any of the Western specific Woodpeckers and Finches. I have spent several hours of online research for Oregon birdlists and birding hotspots, but nothing replaces local knowledge. I would most appreciate suggestions for where to best spend a little time in those areas - best refuges in the Willamette Valley, Siuslaw, estuaries, coast and Cascade hotspots, etc.
Thank you so much, Jim
Old Wednesday 13th August 2008, 02:35   #2
BeesWing

Im just back from Newport, Oregon, though I was only able to squeeze one morning of birding into the trip. We visited the park at Yaquina Head and enjoyed great masses of common murres, pigeon guillemots, Brandts and pelagic cormorants nesting in the cliffs and rocks surrounding the lighthouse. There were close views of brown pelicans and black oystercatchers. The tidepools and black cobble beaches were very nice as well. Im afraid we just drove tantalizingly near great mudflats and wildlife refuges as we drove north on 101 back to Portland. Someday.

I can heartily not recommend eating in Mos in Newport and strongly endorse Siletz Oatmeal Stout however. Good luck on your trip.

Last edited by BeesWing : Wednesday 13th August 2008 at 23:24.
Old Wednesday 13th August 2008, 15:01   #3
Harold Stiver

I spent a couple of days in the Sisters/Bend area last September and found Clark's Nutcracker, Townsend's Solitaire, Pinyon Jay, and American Three-toed Woodpecker.

There is a short feature on it here:

Oregon Mountain Birds

I found "Birding Oregon" by John Rakestraw useful.

Good luck!
Old Wednesday 13th August 2008, 21:34   #4
Jim Lundberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesWing View Post
Im just back from Newport, Oregon, though I was only able to squeeze one morning of birding into the trip. We visited the park at Yaquina Head and enjoyed great masses of common murres, pigeon guillemots, Brandts and pelagic cormorants nesting in the cliffs and rocks surrounding the lighthouse. There were close views of brown pelicans and black oystercatchers. The tidepools and black cobble beaches were very nice as well. Im afraid we just drove tantalizing near great mudflats and wildlife refuges as we drove north on 101 back to Portland. Someday.

I can heartily not recommend eating in Mos in Newport and strongly endorse Siletz Oatmeal Stout however. Good luck on your trip.
BeesWing,
Thank you for the reply. Don't you hate it when work gets in the way of birding? I will certainly visit the park at Yaquina Head. A Black Oystercatcher is a Lifer for me and looks to be a year-round resident. I wonder if the Murres will have moved offshore by late September.
Mo's, at one time, had a reputation for good clam chowder at a reasonable price -- too bad.
Jim
Old Wednesday 13th August 2008, 21:38   #5
Jim Lundberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Stiver View Post
I spent a couple of days in the Sisters/Bend area last September and found Clark's Nutcracker, Townsend's Solitaire, Pinyon Jay, and American Three-toed Woodpecker.

There is a short feature on it here:

Oregon Mountain Birds

I found "Birding Oregon" by John Rakestraw useful.

Good luck!
Harold,
I will hunt down "Birding Oregon". Again, I have found your website to be informative with beautiful photos. It gives me confidence that I will find some of the birds on my higher elevations wishlist.
Thank you, Jim
Old Saturday 16th August 2008, 00:14   #6
BeesWing

You might want to consider http://thebirdguide.com/pelagics/ these trips in your plans to visit. These pelagic trips operate out of Newport.
Old Sunday 17th August 2008, 13:22   #7
Jim Lundberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesWing View Post
You might want to consider http://thebirdguide.com/pelagics/ these trips in your plans to visit. These pelagic trips operate out of Newport.
I know, I know --time constraints and family visit though...
Old Sunday 17th August 2008, 15:00   #8
DavidP

Just back from a trip to southern Oregon and would recommend Cape Arago and Face rock at Bandon beach (river otter playing in the surf as well as loads of whimbrels, godwits and sea birds) as good places. Also another recommendation for Mo's this time in Florence.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: