Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

question about songbirds after dark

Old Friday 16th April 2010, 16:20   #1
gforcepdx

question about songbirds after dark

I live in portland oregon and this is my first post here... hello to all.
I hear a bird in the early morning hours spring through fall. They tend to be solitary and have a song that comes in a pattern of threes. They seem to sing only at night, just after sunset and again just before sunrise, however last night they started up at about 3 am. Can anyone tell me what breed of bird it is that I hear at night and why it is that they prefer the dark. When I think of nocturnal birds, I tend to think of owls alone. It has a beautiful call.
Old Thursday 29th April 2010, 01:29   #2
sacha kindi

My hunch is that this songster is the common and unappreciated robin. Where I live, the notes are usually in groups of five, not three, but I'm sure it varies, it doesn't sound like a fixed phrase. The robins are the last ones to stop singing at night and the first ones to sing in the morning, where I live, and they seem to like to do their main loud singing when the other birds are quiet, which fits the behavior you describe (ie., you only hear them doing that song in the late dusk and early dawn). And it also fits that they are solitary when they sing (though if you live where there are a lot of robin territories you can hear various ones singing from different spots). Robins actually are great singers and can be amazing singers during courting season. But they are so common, who gives them a second glance?

(Robins don't sing during the dark of night, though, only late dusk and early dawn, and I have never heard them as early as 3 am, so if your bird is really singing at night, he may be some other bird, no idea what. Mockingbirds are famous for night singing, but we don't have them here.)

Last edited by sacha kindi : Thursday 29th April 2010 at 01:38.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: