Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Enchanted Lake Bird Sanctuary (Oahu)?

Old Monday 2nd March 2015, 12:52   #1
Malakuma

Enchanted Lake Bird Sanctuary (Oahu)?

I'm going to Oahu this June and will be able to devote at least one full day to birding. I was thinking about this tour: http://hawaiibirdingtours.com/tour_coastal.html

I have searched for information on the Enchanted Lake, but it seems to be a residential area and I cannot find any website or details on a bird sanctuary there. Mainly, I was wondering if the birds there are in captivity. Although it may be a lovely place, I am really hoping to add to my life list and don't want to waste time and money if most of these birds are caged.

If anyone has any information or recommendations on Oahu birding in general, I'll be grateful! Thanks.
Old Tuesday 3rd March 2015, 22:15   #2
bkrownd

The birds listed are all common wild species, so there's no particular reason to suspect they're caged. It's adjacent to or part of Kaelepulu Pond wetland in a residential development - you might find more information under that name.

The web site for it is here: http://www.kaelepuluwetland.com/

A touristy web page says: "Enchanted Lake Bird Sanctuary
Good spot to watch for red-footed boobies, great frigate birds, red-tailed tropic birds, "hawaiian" duck, and plover. Located off of Keolu Drive at the end of Kiukee Place in Kailua on the eastern windward side of Oahu. "

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: