Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Small Pelagic Field Guide for NE Atlantic cruise?

Old Thursday 2nd June 2016, 18:46   #1
lberghol

Small Pelagic Field Guide for NE Atlantic cruise?

My husband and I will be going on a cruise from NYC to Quebec in early Sept. It isn't a bird-specific cruise but we are hoping to see some pelagic birds while we're aboard (I'm not sure what the likelihood of this is, since we've never been on a cruise before!)

We usually rely on apps in the field for ID, but I'm not sure what our wifi access will be like. Does any one have a recommendation for a good travel size pelagic guide that we could take with us? I'd LOVE a pamphlet type one for ease of packing, but thats probably wishful thinking.

Also if anyone has been birding on a big cruise ship, is it worth it to bring a scope, or will it be too "bumpy" on the water to use?
Old Thursday 2nd June 2016, 19:24   #2
John Cantelo

If you want to cover wildlife in general then Bradt publish a book on the wildlife of the North Atlantic specifically aimed at cruising ....
http://www.nhbs.com/title/160730/bra...north-atlantic

However, I think "A Field Guide to North Atlantic Wildlife: Marine Mammals, Seabirds, Fish, and Other Sealife
A Field Guide to North Atlantic Wildlife" (Yale University Press) is a more practical field guide and comprehensive book. Nicely illustrated too
See - http://www.nhbs.com/title/140027/a-f...antic-wildlife

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Thursday 2nd June 2016, 19:34   #3
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lberghol View Post
We usually rely on apps in the field for ID, but I'm not sure what our wifi access will be like.
Most bird ID apps, e.g. the Sibley guide, do not require wi fi access to function once you have downloaded the relevant data.

As for scopes, I have been told by cruise ship veterans that they can be useful on such ships.

Last edited by Jim M. : Thursday 2nd June 2016 at 22:17.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd June 2016, 21:32   #4
Stonefaction
Yes!

With regards the pamphlet type of ID guide, this might be of interest -
http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/pelagic...9781780092287/

The illustrations are rather crude-looking and relatively basic (and black and white) though there is annotation alongside the illustrations, but it is very lightweight and printed on waterproof paper. It has only 32 pages. It does sound exactly what you are looking for, and is designed specifically for pelagic birding in the North Atlantic. Probably at least worthy of a look.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: