Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Can cassowaries see UV light?

Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 07:51   #1
possum 2019

Can cassowaries see UV light?

We live in the middle of the forest in far north Queensland, Australia and are enjoying the diverse birdlife here very much.
A few weeks ago, the main mating season for cassowaries began, and now we have a big female here, who is upset by her reflection in one of our windows. Sometimes she becomes quite agitated and then starts booming at that 'other cassowary'.
We could let the shutters down, but a more elegant solution would be to use those almost invisible, UV-coated bird stickers on the glass. They would break up her reflection and hopefully stop her from getting worked up over nothing.
But these stickers won't work, if cassowaries cannot see the UV-reflecting coating.
Does anyone know?
Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 17:36   #2
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2019

Are you talking about stickers that reflect UV light, or are you referring to the common practice of "UV coating" which is actually one of two things:

--A coating to protect the substrate (the sticker) from fading in UV light (sunlight). Doesn't reflect UV light in any special way that I know of.

--A coating that is simply a coating to provide durability to the substrate that is cured by UV light and may or may not reflect or protect from UV light itself.

For example, we have a printer (think fancy, expensive inkjet...though it uses "inks" a bit more like paint) at work that uses "UV inks"...the inks do not cure by drying (they actually "never" cure in the open air by themselves) but by exposure to UV light. They don't reflect UV light in any special way that I am aware.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 19:15   #3
marcsantacurz

THe OP is talking about a transparent film or liquid that you put on your windows. It reflects UV but is transparent to most visible spectrum.

https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/ge...-home-windows/
Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 20:28   #4
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
THe OP is talking about a transparent film or liquid that you put on your windows. It reflects UV but is transparent to most visible spectrum.

https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/ge...-home-windows/
Thanks. Now I know *three* variations of this term. :)

Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 14:11   #5
pianoman
duck and diver, bobolink and weaver

Another possibility is insect screen mesh in the outside of the window, if you don't mind a very slight reduction of the quality of the view from your window.
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 19:12   #6
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
Another possibility is insect screen mesh in the outside of the window, if you don't mind a very slight reduction of the quality of the view from your window.
Here stateside, hot areas use "sun screens" which are large fixed screens permanently mount to the outside of a window to cut down on radiant heat. I've photographed through them before but...might not be idea since the mesh is rather large in size.

But combining an outside screen frame with something like UltraVue screen material might do the trick? UltraVue is a common trade name here for a material that is nigh-invisible to the eye. I have the stuff as regular window screens and can photograph through it no problem and looking through it you can barely tell it's there but for a very slightly darker view.

I'm betting the screen material would be enough to cut glare and mess-up the reflection.

Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 13:28   #7
pianoman
duck and diver, bobolink and weaver

Yep if the only object is to stop the Cassowary from getting riled up (not a problem I'm familiar with in my hemisphere!) the (fine) mesh would be enough I would think to stop it from seeing a coherent reflection of itself. If you want to get good photos through it though, then you might need to go more high tech
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: