Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Gran Canaria and Tenerife, July 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 28th July 2019, 00:05   #26
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by magifrig View Post
Sorry to spoil the fun but Nanday Parakeet is definitely NOT on Cat C of the Spanish list, which includes the Canaries. A new list was actually released just a few weeks ago.

The only country you can count it in is Israel, though I haven't heard of any reports in recent years.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt
The Canaries birds have far more going for them than the brief population (pair?) at Pardes Khana-Karkur surely? Considering how well the Monk and Ring-necked Parakeet populations are doing in and around Tel Aviv, difficult to think that a self-sustaining population wouldn't be well ...... sustaing!

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Sunday 28th July 2019, 14:12   #27
magifrig

Maybe you're right about those populations Paul but for comparative purposes e.g. netfugl and BUBO we've agreed to follow the official national lists of the countries within the Western Pal. There's really no other logical way to do it is there?

Once you start trying to make your own decisions outside the official parameters it becomes a very slippery slope.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt
Old Sunday 28th July 2019, 19:29   #28
Paul Chapman

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by magifrig View Post
Maybe you're right about those populations Paul but for comparative purposes e.g. netfugl and BUBO we've agreed to follow the official national lists of the countries within the Western Pal. There's really no other logical way to do it is there?

Once you start trying to make your own decisions outside the official parameters it becomes a very slippery slope.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt
Difficult really. At the end of the day, you are combining different national approaches and providing your own harmonisation eg in respect of the Dutch list?

On the Nanday Parakeet, I remember the surprise of a well-known Israeli birder when I told him that it had been admitted to the Israeli list. That said he was more sceptical of the Starling which at least persists.......

The other logical way would be to set minimum size population and minimum period before acceptance into a combined WP list. It would be an interesting exercise to attempt to do so.

Of course, these Category C species are the ultimate blockers - see this almost error free blog post:-

http://bigyearwp.hyber.org/index.php...-paul-chapman/

I'd sooner tick a Dalmatian Pelican in Cornwall over a Bulgarian one than those Israeli Nandays over the Canarian ones. But I've been at the bottom of the slippery slope for years!

That said, I may have a proper look at my remaining Category C's to finally get my IOC WP list to 800 but I wouldn't really suggest anyone compares their lists with mine on BUBO or anywhere else. The only purpose of your list is to remind you what you still want to see!

By the way, almost all of that is tongue in cheek. You do an excellent job in keeping track of and reconciling such things.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Sunday 28th July 2019 at 19:49.
Old Monday 29th July 2019, 19:57   #29
magifrig

Thanks for the kind words Paul. My personal view is that none of the Nanday populations inspire confidence but I guess we'll keep following the national lists; that approach seems to cause the fewest arguments!

Cheers Graeme Joynt
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: