Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Plans for new Whitburn Coastal Consevation Centre

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Friday 2nd August 2019, 16:10   #1
IAN JAMES THOMPSON
Registered User
 
IAN JAMES THOMPSON's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 787
Blog Entries: 2
Plans for new Whitburn Coastal Consevation Centre

There are plans for the National Trust to build a new Coastal Conservation Centre close to Souter Lighthouse by Whitburn Country Park. I just found the article by accident and knew nothing about this. I had heard nothing from the National Trust locally about this as Iím a National Trust member. There was a public consultation at the National Trusts Souter Lighthouse early on in July, but heard nothing about this. As well as owning Souter Lighthouse the National Trust own quite a large part of the coastline in Tyne and Wear in that area upto Souter Lighthouse and the National Trust have a lease on Whitburn Country Park. The planning application goes in towards the end of 2019. There are a number of articles Iíve found today and there is a planned downloadable document about this. Not sure how to put the links in. Hopefully someone else will be able to help and put in the links. Iíve got mixed views on this and Iím very undecided about weather this should go ahead. Itís difficult to make my mind up.
Ian.
IAN JAMES THOMPSON is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 5th August 2019, 12:17   #2
kb57
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Durham, UK
Posts: 638
Plans are here, accompanied by the usual architectural 'pseuds corner' b******s:
https://nt.global.ssl.fastly.net/sou...ation-2019.pdf

National Trust explanation is here:
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sou...rvation-centre

Shields Gazette article is here:
https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/...se-site-374340

Ian, as you say the planning application is to be submitted later this year - you will have the opportunity to make your views heard to South Tyneside Council, as they will have to go through a formal consultation process then.

I have to say, to be fair this doesn't look a terrible scheme - although I'm no fan of the National Trust in the NE (the abomination that is Gibside being one reason, the overall fetishism attached to old stuff owned by the landed gentry being another), this appears to be a relatively small scale building which is going to fit into its surroundings OK.

What I'm less clear about is where this fits into the visitor strategy for protected sites on the NE coast. At present anyone building new houses in the area has to contribute to coastal management schemes, to offset the effect of increased recreational pressure on Durham Coast SAC and Northumbria Coast SPA. If this is part of that process, and NT wardens are going to explain to visitors that it's not a good idea to let Fido chase the waders on the rocks, then its a positive thing. If its an unrelated and woolly-minded attempt to encourage more coastal recreation, then not so good.
kb57 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 19:47   #3
IAN JAMES THOMPSON
Registered User
 
IAN JAMES THOMPSON's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 787
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb57 View Post
Plans are here, accompanied by the usual architectural 'pseuds corner' b******s:
https://nt.global.ssl.fastly.net/sou...ation-2019.pdf

National Trust explanation is here:
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sou...rvation-centre

Shields Gazette article is here:
https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/...se-site-374340

Ian, as you say the planning application is to be submitted later this year - you will have the opportunity to make your views heard to South Tyneside Council, as they will have to go through a formal consultation process then.

I have to say, to be fair this doesn't look a terrible scheme - although I'm no fan of the National Trust in the NE (the abomination that is Gibside being one reason, the overall fetishism attached to old stuff owned by the landed gentry being another), this appears to be a relatively small scale building which is going to fit into its surroundings OK.

What I'm less clear about is where this fits into the visitor strategy for protected sites on the NE coast. At present anyone building new houses in the area has to contribute to coastal management schemes, to offset the effect of increased recreational pressure on Durham Coast SAC and Northumbria Coast SPA. If this is part of that process, and NT wardens are going to explain to visitors that it's not a good idea to let Fido chase the waders on the rocks, then its a positive thing. If its an unrelated and woolly-minded attempt to encourage more coastal recreation, then not so good.
Iíve visited the Gibside Estate for the first since the very early 1990ís despite living not far from that National Trust Property in another part of Gateshead and been a member of the National Trust since the early 1970ís and what I saw of the Gibside Estate and changes really shocked me whatís happened there with the changes after such a long period of time since I last visited Gibside.But I wonít say any more about that as it might derail this thread.
Ian.
IAN JAMES THOMPSON is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 23:13   #4
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 13,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
Iíve visited the Gibside Estate for the first since the very early 1990ís despite living not far from that National Trust Property in another part of Gateshead and been a member of the National Trust since the early 1970ís and what I saw of the Gibside Estate and changes really shocked me whatís happened there with the changes after such a long period of time since I last visited Gibside.But I wonít say any more about that as it might derail this thread.
Ian.
Then why mention it at all? Fess up, you'll feel better.

And stop apostrophising plurals ("1970's")!!!

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 06:38   #5
IAN JAMES THOMPSON
Registered User
 
IAN JAMES THOMPSON's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 787
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Then why mention it at all? Fess up, you'll feel better.

And stop apostrophising plurals ("1970's")!!!

John
Why do you always criticise and also my spelling. What does it matter?
Ian.
IAN JAMES THOMPSON is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 17:37   #6
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 13,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
Why do you always criticise and also my spelling. What does it matter?
Ian.
Ian.

Every one of your threads is based on criticism of one or other organisation involved in conservation. Sometimes I agree with your points, sometimes not. However, given your normal posture in thread opening I don't think you are in any position to complain about criticism... in addition there is this thing called constructive criticism which gives you the opportunity of a learning experience. You will learn more from someone who disagrees with you than you ever will from someone who agrees with everything you say.

Now, onto the question of spelling and why it matters, because lets face it, its a wide and increasing problem in modern society and a lot of people will say "why does it matter?" Well, it matters because different words have different meanings, and if you use the wrong one you make your meaning at best obscure to others and at worst destroy it altogether. You also give others a particular view of your level of education and possibly intellect, whether or not the errors are due to carelessness or hurry rather than ignorance of proper usage.

In which connection, now that I've used the word "whether" in its correct context, I pretty much have to point out that when you (presumably) intended to do likewise in your original post, you actually wrote "weather" which has to do with rain, sun, wind and snow.

You also wrote: " I had heard nothing from the National Trust locally about this as Iím a National Trust member." (My emboldening.) What you have written there is that the National Trust didn't inform you because you are a member, whereas what I think you meant (do please correct me if I'm wrong) was "they didn't tell me despite the fact I am a member": i.e. the exact opposite of what you wrote.

Words are important. The English language deserves your love, respect and care: it is a rapier, not a sledgehammer. Wielding it as it is intended to be wielded, with precisely chosen words spelt correctly in the right place, will make your writing a million per cent more effective.

Checking your work carefully before you post it will help. Never draft and post in haste. At work I usually get someone else to read my stuff through because it gets very difficult to spot your own mistakes.

Also, if I'm really, absolutely honest, sometimes I poke the antheap because I know I will always get a reaction. I can't help it. Jester is my role.

All the best,

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 21:49   #7
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East
 
Jos Stratford's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Exile in Eastern Europe
Posts: 16,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
However, given your normal posture in thread opening I don't think you are in any position to complain about criticism.

The English language deserves your love, respect and care. Wielding it as it is intended to be wielded, with precisely chosen words spelt correctly in the right place, will make your writing a million per cent more effective.
With the language deserving love and all that, shouldn't there be a comma after 'opening'?
__________________
For photographs and articles, Lithuania and beyond, click here for my website
Jos Stratford is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 9th August 2019, 09:43   #8
stuartvine
Registered User
 
stuartvine's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Surbiton
Posts: 728
First law of criticising anybody's grammar: Thou shalt always maketh a mistake thyself.
__________________
"Let loose the Kraken!"
stuartvine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 9th August 2019, 12:51   #9
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 13,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartvine View Post
First law of criticising anybody's grammar: Thou shalt always maketh a mistake thyself.
Yeah, innit!

With reference to Jos's comment, I prefer to err by under- rather than over-comma-ing. I think the example chosen is at least arguable - but as I lack even basic training in grammar (which I regret and found a major disadvantage in trying to learn foreign languages at school), most of my use of language comes from selecting models to follow in a lifetime of wide reading. Sorry!

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 12:35   #10
kb57
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Durham, UK
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartvine View Post
First law of criticising anybody's grammar: Thou shalt always maketh a mistake thyself.
Such as putting a capital letter after a colon...
kb57 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 13:24   #11
Mark Newsome
Born to seawatch...
 
Mark Newsome's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: County Durham
Posts: 1,853
Back on subject... as a birder at Whitburn CP, I can't see a lot wrong with this development. But its much more from a public interpretation/local environment angle rather than having a benefit for birds/wildlife (or birders). There are routes shown in the links to feedback about the proposals if you're not keen for whatever reason.

It could be a good source of info for the public in the future about the marine wildlife at Whitburn (we cover nearly every day of the year watching for birds and marine mammals so have a huge amount of info) - we'll see if they are interested in any collaboration on that.

Mark
Mark Newsome is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RSPB submits plans for new visitor centre at Sherwood Forest (RSPB) BF Newsroom Latest news from the RSPB 0 Tuesday 27th September 2016 10:23
RSPB-led consortium presents plans for new Sherwood Forest visitor centre (RSPB) BF Newsroom Latest news from the RSPB 0 Monday 11th July 2016 11:00
Forsinard Flows field centre plans criticised JTweedie Conservation 15 Tuesday 29th April 2014 10:16
Nature to take centre stage under forestry plans (RSPB) BF Newsroom Latest news from the RSPB 1 Thursday 8th December 2011 11:13
Bird charity plans seabird centre (BBC News) BF Newsroom Live Bird News from around the World 9 Monday 14th September 2009 06:53

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.17734599 seconds with 25 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:18.