Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kowa BDII-XD - september 2019

Old Sunday 25th August 2019, 19:04   #51
Swedpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz1973 View Post
I had a look through the 6.5 at Birdfair, and the ER was sufficient to give me full FOV with my eye glasses.

Quote:
Me too.

Lee
Thanks for reply. I am looking forward to try it!
Old Sunday 25th August 2019, 20:21   #52
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

Does anybody know when the release date will be? I'd be interested in trying a pair as a lighter alternative to my 7x42's. I wonder if Kowa would loan me a pair for a prolonged field test in November...

@axbridge_birder
Old Sunday 25th August 2019, 21:13   #53
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatsonbirder View Post
Does anybody know when the release date will be? I'd be interested in trying a pair as a lighter alternative to my 7x42's. I wonder if Kowa would loan me a pair for a prolonged field test in November...
Oct. 1st is what Kowa US told me, but maybe sooner for Europe (?)

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 25th August 2019, 23:55   #54
[email protected]

The new Kowa BD II XD's will have a AFOV of 65 degrees which is great for a 6.5x but don't forget the Nikon 8x30 EII has an AFOV of 70.4 degrees and the Nikon 7x50 WX has an AFOV of 74.9 degrees. The Kowa will have the advantage of better DOF and ease of holding the lower magnification steady though. It should be an interesting binocular.

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 26th August 2019 at 00:22.
Old Monday 26th August 2019, 05:39   #55
Swedpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The new Kowa BD II XD's will have a AFOV of 65 degrees which is great for a 6.5x but don't forget the Nikon 8x30 EII has an AFOV of 70.4 degrees and the Nikon 7x50 WX has an AFOV of 74.9 degrees. The Kowa will have the advantage of better DOF and ease of holding the lower magnification steady though. It should be an interesting binocular.
Yes, but the Nikon 8x30 has the drawback of much shorter eye relief and is not waterproof. And 7x50WX should not even be compared to: more than 10 times the price and it weighs 2,4kg! So it should not be considered as a free hand glass and is intended for tripod or at least monopod use.

Last edited by Swedpat : Monday 26th August 2019 at 07:12.
Old Monday 26th August 2019, 09:41   #56
[email protected]st.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
Yes, but the Nikon 8x30 has the drawback of much shorter eye relief and is not waterproof. And 7x50WX should not even be compared to: more than 10 times the price and it weighs 2,4kg! So it should not be considered as a free hand glass and is intended for tripod or at least monopod use.
I agree. A 10 degree 6.5x should be very wide field and expansive and immersive. For $300.00 I would certainly try one.
Old Monday 26th August 2019, 10:39   #57
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherbirder View Post
May just be the cynic in me but I hope all the pre-release 'love' for the 6.5x32 doesn't influence or induce a change of pricing structure by Kowa so prospective purchasers get stung. The astronomical price of their 550 Prominar 'travel' scope hasn't really worked in their favour methinks.

RB
If only birdforum had that kind of pulling power! If anyone from Canon is reading this ... your 10x42L is a steaming pile of crap and prices need to come down NOW!!!!!

But I see no reason why the manufacturer of a highly regarded product shouldn't charge accordingly - if I were in that fortunate position, I'd certainly hope to be able to.

My brother was able to check this out at Birdfair - I'll add his observations to my next post in the Birdfair thread.
Old Monday 26th August 2019, 22:01   #58
Rotherbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
If only birdforum had that kind of pulling power! If anyone from Canon is reading this ... your 10x42L is a steaming pile of crap and prices need to come down NOW!!!!!

But I see no reason why the manufacturer of a highly regarded product shouldn't charge accordingly - if I were in that fortunate position, I'd certainly hope to be able to.

My brother was able to check this out at Birdfair - I'll add his observations to my next post in the Birdfair thread.
And I wouldn't necessarily underestimate the reach of optics manufacturers. I would think Zeiss got fair wind that their SF eyecups were not 100% fit for purpose from the chatter on this forum! Their prime purpose - as you rightly state - is making money and not necessarily by keeping birders sweet by offering them bargains. If someone gives in and buys a hypothetical £3000 binocular and enthuses wildly about it, then it won't take the followers of fashion long to follow suit and £3000 becomes the new norm for the so-called 'best'. It happens every time.

RB
Old Tuesday 27th August 2019, 12:56   #59
Dd61999

The 6.5x kowa have me excited with their 10 degrees field of view
Old Wednesday 28th August 2019, 14:25   #60
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post

That seems a pretty extreme stance, given that the Canon 10x42L is offered at
Amazon for $1200, versus $2700 for the Zeiss SF or the Swaro EL.
The Canon is heavy and lumpy, but imho, thanks to its stabilization feature, still the most capable birding glass available and a steal at the current price.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 1st September 2019, 15:13   #61
Upland

OK, it’s September. Where are they?
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 05:42   #62
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland View Post
OK, it’s September. Where are they?
OK, HERE THEY ARE! GET YOUR PRE ORDERS IN! DON"T DISREGARD THE 8X32'S. THEY ARE 8.8 DEGREE"S AND 462 FEET FOV. SAME AS THE NIKON 8X30 E2! THE 6.5X32 HAS AN AFOV OF 65 DEGREE'S AND THE 8X32 HAS AN AFOV OF 70 DEGREE'S!
https://www.astroshop.eu/instruments...culars/p,63441
https://www.astroshop.eu/instruments...-angle/p,63442
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Myp2Sxt0Dh4

Last edited by [email protected] : Wednesday 4th September 2019 at 13:55.
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 06:41   #63
SteveTS

Quote:
OK, HERE THEY ARE! GET YOUR ORDERS IN! DON"T DISREGARD THE 8X32'S. THEY ARE 8.8 DEGREE"S AND 462 FEET FOV. SAME AS THE NIKON 8X30 E2! THE 6.5X32 HAS AN AFOV OF 65 DEGREE'S AND THE 8X32 HAS AN AFOV OF 70 DEGREE'S!
Available from 7th October 2019.

Regards, Steve
Old Friday 6th September 2019, 21:23   #64
Upland

Kowa USA rep Paul Kardos says retail will be $399 for 32mm and $449 for 42 mm. Release date of 10/1
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 04:22   #65
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz1973 View Post
I had a look through the 6.5 at Birdfair, and the ER was sufficient to give me full FOV with my eye glasses.
Did you or anybody compare the 6.5x32 to the 8x32 BD II XDs? I was trying to decide which one to buy. Maybe buy them both and return the one you like least.
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 08:38   #66
typo

Quote:
Did you or anybody compare the 6.5x32 to the 8x32 BD II XDs? I was trying to decide which one to buy. Maybe buy them both and return the one you like least.
Dennis,

The most obvious difference I saw was the CA increased with magnification, and was rather higher than I might expect for a double ED design. However, you should keep in mind what I said elsewhere. Kowa have a bit of a habit of bringing pre-production samples to Birdfair and it's anybody's guess what the final product might look like.

David
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 15:42   #67
[email protected]

I think I will try the 6.5x32 even though I usually don't care for low power but these have a huge FOV and I already have the Swarovski SV 8x32's so there is no way the Kowa's in an 8x32 are going to compare with a $2K binocular even with the bigger FOV and they are not going to bring anything different to the table. 6.5x32 it is then. I don't think even a 10 degree 6.5x will WOW me but we will see. The most WOW binocular I have ever had is the Swarovski SV 12x50 which I still have and is my "Big Gun."

Last edited by [email protected] : Saturday 7th September 2019 at 17:54.
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 16:48   #68
42za

I will be interested to know if the new Kowa BDII-XD series will actually have better optical performance than the old BD-XD Prominar series , or is it only an increase in the Field of View that sets the new series apart.

My wild guess is that Kowa have only changed the eye-pieces and kept the other optics and lenses from the old BD-XD series.

So the question is , if a person is satisfied with the field of view of the old BD-XD Prominar series will it be worth while to upgrade.

But the 6.5 x 32 does interest me .

I have an old series 8 x 42 BD-XD Prominar and I think that it is a very fine binocular.

Cheers.
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 17:55   #69
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42za View Post
I will be interested to know if the new Kowa BDII-XD series will actually have better optical performance than the old BD-XD Prominar series , or is it only an increase in the Field of View that sets the new series apart.

My wild guess is that Kowa have only changed the eye-pieces and kept the other optics and lenses from the old BD-XD series.

So the question is , if a person is satisfied with the field of view of the old BD-XD Prominar series will it be worth while to upgrade.

I have an old series 8 x 42 BD-XD Prominar and I think that it is a very fine binocular.

Cheers.
It depends upon how much of a WA fanatic you are.
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 20:04   #70
tenex

Quote:
OK, HERE THEY ARE! GET YOUR PRE ORDERS IN! DON"T DISREGARD THE 8X32'S. THEY ARE 8.8 DEGREE"S AND 462 FEET FOV. SAME AS THE NIKON 8X30 E2! THE 6.5X32 HAS AN AFOV OF 65 DEGREE'S AND THE 8X32 HAS AN AFOV OF 70 DEGREE'S!

I don't think even a 10 degree 6.5x will WOW me but we will see. The most WOW binocular I have ever had is the Swarovski SV 12x50 which I still have and is my "Big Gun."
I think we have a similar sense of wow. The 15x SLC does for me what the 12x EL does for you, which would have been my second choice. And on the other end, what a low mag bino needs to wow is a comparable AFOV, a proportional trade-off of magnification for real field, which almost never happens below 8x, and the 6.5x BD is no exception. (I'll be equally interested to hear about the new BD's construction. I keep being disappointed with that in this price range.)
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 20:12   #71
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
I think we have a similar sense of wow. The 15x SLC does for me what the 12x EL does for you, which would have been my second choice. And on the other end, what a low mag bino needs to wow is a comparable AFOV, a proportional trade-off of magnification for real field, which almost never happens below 8x, and the 6.5x BD is no exception. (I'll be equally interested to hear about the new BD's construction. I keep being disappointed with that in this price range.)
You and I agree. A 6.5x at 10 degrees is till only 65 degrees AFOV, whereas, the 8x at 8.8 degrees is 70.4 degrees AFOV so I bet the 8x will have more WOW factor. My SV 12x50's are 68.4 degrees AFOV using the simple method of calculation not the ISO. Your SLC 15x56 are 67.5 degrees AFOV. Still a 65 degree 6.5x is pretty good and it is going to have good DOF and be easy to hold steady but WOW factor I don't know. That is one thing that is nice about the BD it has a magnesium frame which is getting rare at the under $500.00 price point.. I will take a magnesium frame any day over polymer I don't care what the plastic nuts have to say.

Last edited by [email protected] : Saturday 7th September 2019 at 20:23.
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 20:31   #72
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42za View Post

Cheers.
It is hard to say, but the exterior looks quite a bit more "upscale" to me, so that plus the wide angle viewing would be a fair improvement especially considering the lack of increase in price
Optically I thought the original BD XD was quite good, but with a narrow FOV.

All of the magnifictons look good on paper, but considering I've been using the 10x with Image Stabilization, the 6.5X seems a good complement.

Despite owning some variety of all the alpha models, I still think the 8.5x44 Genesis is my favorite - if only it had a wider field of view. It seems they will never update this model, unfortunately.
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 00:21   #73
Upland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
It is hard to say, but the exterior looks quite a bit more "upscale" to me, so that plus the wide angle viewing would be a fair improvement especially considering the lack of increase in price
Optically I thought the original BD XD was quite good, but with a narrow FOV.

All of the magnifictons look good on paper, but considering I've been using the 10x with Image Stabilization, the 6.5X seems a good complement.

Despite owning some variety of all the alpha models, I still think the 8.5x44 Genesis is my favorite - if only it had a wider field of view. It seems they will never update this model, unfortunately.
Kowa rep told me new Genesis are in the works and will go to a double bridge design.
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 17:52   #74
Upland

Had another chat with Kowa rep this morning. Among other things he said the new Genesis models have been put on the back burner and are probably another year away.
Old Tuesday 10th September 2019, 23:18   #75
wdc

I emailed Kowa today to ask about local retailers carrying their new line, so I could try it out, and the GOOD news is that they will be demo-ing the new BD II XD's in Sonoma this Saturday at the Wine Country Optics Festival.
http://www.sonomabirding.com/coming-events/

The BAD news (for me), is that I will be out of town. Hopefully some folks here on the forum can get up there to try them out and report back. Someone with glasses! ;-)

-Bill
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: