Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Retiring Binoculars, looking for similar replacement..

Old Friday 13th September 2019, 14:19   #1
slingworks

Retiring Binoculars, looking for similar replacement..

I'm looking for a new binocular and not really sure what's out there matching my needs...So I'm looking for some expert advice.

I often hunt Coyotes and for the past few years I've used an IF 7x30 with an 8.5 degree field of view, 22-23mm of eye relief and field flatteners.....

I found this to be the very best binocular for it, as I live in hill country with lots of heavy woods/brush and mixed open ground. Coyotes are quick and elusive..So I've always appreciated the wide angle for covering ground and the IF as I can "see" about anything at any depth of field just by looking...

What I have is superb for this use...But I think I'm starting to show age..I noticed this past summer some days I can use them, some days I can't.....In general I am starting to feel it on all my IF binoculars....

So I am curious what is a good "manual focusing binocular" with the same specs? (Wide field, flatteners and long eye relief)?

A fellow I know is going to trade me some Fujinons I have for a pair of Pentax DCF 8x43 SP.....I think they're good binoculars but maybe not quite what I really want...I really wanted something in the 30mm class....

Any advice or recommendation is appreciated, thanks!
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 15:07   #2
[email protected]

If I were you I would wait for the new Kowa BDII XD's that will be out in a couple weeks. The 6.5x32 with a 10 degree and 525 foot FOV sounds ideal for your coyote hunting. With a big exit pupil they would be bright for those early morning hunts also. They are center focus but you would not have to focus a 6.5x much with it's great DOF. They will be about $350.00.

https://www.kowaproducts.com/BDII-XD-brochure.pdf

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 13th September 2019 at 15:14.
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 15:32   #3
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingworks View Post
IF as I can "see" about anything at any depth of field just by looking...

Any advice or recommendation is appreciated, thanks!
The above sounds to me like you have bought into that "auto-focus" Blarney started by Steiner and perpetuated by bottom of the barrel companies.

If you want to know the clinical realities of the matter, send me a PM.

Cheers,

Bill
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 15:35   #4
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If I were you I would wait for the new Kowa BDII XD's that will be out in a couple weeks. The 6.5x32 with a 10 degree and 525 foot FOV sounds ideal for your coyote hunting. With a big exit pupil they would be bright for those early morning hunts also. They are center focus but you would not have to focus a 6.5x much with it's great DOF. They will be about $350.00.

https://www.kowaproducts.com/BDII-XD-brochure.pdf
ditto

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th September 2019, 16:09   #5
SteveTS

A used Vortex Viper HD 6x32 would fit the bill perfectly if you can find one.

These have a wide linear field of view of 140 metres at 1000 metres, 19.5mm of available eye relief and Vortex own the field in respect of their unlimited, fully transferable, lifetime, no receipt needed warranty.

Regards, Steve
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 16:16   #6
marcsantacurz

I'm excited to try that new Kowa too. You could also look at the Nikon HG 8x30 with 8.3* FoV. Weatherproof and all that. About US$850 new.

Marc
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 17:07   #7
slingworks

Thanks for the replies!

WJC, I'll have to look into those...In case I need to appear more educated in the future :)

I am currently using a pair of KOMZ 7x30 BPOs...With the later straw colored coatings.

Denco I'll look into those Kowas....I have Kowa Spotters and if the binoculars are as good I'm all for that.
I'll also look into that Nikon. Sounds like a great option from what you're written.

Last edited by slingworks : Friday 13th September 2019 at 23:51.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: