Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Opinion on Nikon Monarch HG 10x42

Old Thursday 19th September 2019, 06:58   #26
F88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
... Then why do you keep posting in this thread?

When folks that own and USE the binocular in question say something positive about it, what is the point of you REPEATING your same opinions ad nauseum?
You no longer own, or use, the binoculars in question.

Do you assume these people are ignorant or inexperienced?

Are they not entitled to their opinion? You've already stated yours numerous times in the same thread.
The post you've quoted an extract from has again been magically removed. I was actually going to respond and quote the entire text but chose to refrain. That said I'm somewhat inline with your sentiment Bill. I guess that anyone who reads this forum more than once quickly becomes accustomed to Dennis, I guess he's actively passionate amongst other things.
I have no reservations regarding the EDG, my 8x32 is my clear favourite in my collection. The full range is still available in my country in store and had I the money I would collect an 8x42 while still available regardless of it going EOL, warranty or any other reasons. Another EDG if I were to be so frivolous would be my top pick over any of the alphas.
Old Thursday 19th September 2019, 13:13   #27
jgraider

Dennis' protocol is exactly the same every time.......

Whatever bino he owns is "the best" one made, and subject to change and probably will. When he buys a new model on the 'net, the review will again tell us how great this new model is, then it will be for sale shortly on ebay, followed by his comments on here about it's shortcomings.
Old Thursday 19th September 2019, 22:49   #28
tenex

I'm a bit confused here, partly by trying to follow a thread that's disappearing in smoke like the tape on Mission Impossible, but also by the EDG itself. It's discontinued, but Nikon was still showing it last month at Birdfair? Is there any word of a replacement? The MHG can't be that. (Nor the WX obviously.)
Old Thursday 19th September 2019, 23:50   #29
F88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
I'm a bit confused here, partly by trying to follow a thread that's disappearing in smoke like the tape on Mission Impossible, but also by the EDG itself. It's discontinued, but Nikon was still showing it last month at Birdfair? Is there any word of a replacement? The MHG can't be that. (Nor the WX obviously.)
Perhaps because the EDG was mentioned in the OP. I guess the more desirable binoculars started to steal the show in the thread?
While being discontinued (?), they are still available here. Unfortunately my thoughts are that the MHG is set to become Nikon's top dog likely because of sales and marketing rather than performance. I hope I'm wrong because the lack of the EDG will be a real loss.
Certainly the MHG competes nicely with the likes of the Conquest HD (same price point here) and with a few differences (wide FOV and low weight) brings something a little different options wise.
While budget permitting I'd always choose an EDG over an MHG, Nikon may well have other (business) ideas about what they're willing to put into their binoculars.
Old Monday 23rd September 2019, 18:52   #30
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
SP, I think you will love the 10x50SV. It offers a very special view, IMO.
jgraider, you are right. I bought one this weekend. Favourite already and found some new sightings with it first and second day. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old Monday 23rd September 2019, 19:20   #31
jgraider

Glad you like it SeldomPerched. You are also backed up by Swaro's world class customer service, which gives us Swaro owners real peace of mind. The other alpha maker's CS departments can't come close.
Old Wednesday 25th September 2019, 13:09   #32
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Glad you like it SeldomPerched. You are also backed up by Swaro's world class customer service, which gives us Swaro owners real peace of mind. The other alpha maker's CS departments can't come close.
To add to what you say about service back-up, the local shop staff were also raving about a trip they took to the Swarovski factory as well as S's consistently high hit rate for manufacturing accuracy.

To finish off, as this is a Nikon thread, Nikon is a firm that has consistently impressed me; not a single product of theirs has ever let me down or shown poor mechanical or cosmetic quality over several decades. Well, there was one exception but it was instantly repaired out of warranty free of charge as a known and admitted defect.

Tom

Last edited by SeldomPerched : Wednesday 25th September 2019 at 13:17.
Old Saturday 5th October 2019, 23:30   #33
Steve O4B
Optics4Birding.com

Here in the US, MHGs are on sale with a $100 instant rebate through 10/13/19. We also have some factory refurbished units at $150 off. These have only been used at trade shows, then refurbished by Nikon. Sold with full warranty.

That brings up my other issue I want to discuss here. Earlier this year, we had two different customers who had purchased EDG 10x42s a few years prior, who then needed repairs. EDGs are now completely gone from the US. Nikon did not have the parts to help either customer, nor did they have an alpha binocular for replacement, so they refunded the entire purchase price to each of them! Both ended up with Zeiss SFs, courtesy of the Nikon warranty.
Old Sunday 6th October 2019, 00:10   #34
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomPerched View Post

To finish off, as this is a Nikon thread, Nikon is a firm that has consistently impressed me; not a single product of theirs has ever let me down or shown poor mechanical or cosmetic quality over several decades. Well, there was one exception but it was instantly repaired out of warranty free of charge as a known and admitted defect.

Tom
Can only note that this is my experience as well, all my Nikon gear has performed flawlessly, despite sometimes abusive treatment.
So I too very much regret that Nikon has pulled back from the sport optics market and is no longer offering the EDG line.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 6th October 2019, 16:55   #35
SeldomPerched

Quote:
SP, I think you will love the 10x50SV. It offers a very special view, IMO.
JGR, you aren't wrong there; I now have a pair and some unusual birds for our area came to visit to help me celebrate!

I still haven't identified them properly...

Tom
Old Monday 7th October 2019, 19:19   #36
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

I use the Monarch HG 8x42 as my primary binoculars these days. Though I'm writing about 8x42s most will apply to the 10x bin as well.

The overall package... light weight, great ergos, wide field, good mechanics, modern coatings, contrast and color rendition, and moderate price just can't be bettered IMO.

My only (minor) criticism is that they don't come to critical focus as quickly as my Leicas or Zeiss. The focus feel is excellent but just a tad slower getting perfect focus. Once there they are quite sharp.

I give them my unequivocal endorsement.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: