Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Seafield to Kinghorn

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 09:09   #276
Gander

A couple of new arrivals seen on Thursday. A Stonechat was very evident between the car park and the seawall. Walking back to the car park later, I again saw a Stonechat near the harbour area, but believe it to be the same bird.

Also seen between the harbour and the tower were a passing flock of Wigeon. A nice addition to the patch year list.
Old Monday 23rd September 2019, 06:20   #277
Gander

Photos

Attached record shots of last week's Brent and Wigeon, along with the Stonechat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5868.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	705562  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5958.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	705563  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5956.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	705564  
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 10:15   #278
Gander

Due to other commitments, I only managed a flying visit to the strip, last on Wednesday afternoon. With only an hour to spare, I only made it to the tower and back, but it was enough to confirm that my winter regulars have started moving in. Purple Sandpipers were seen at the harbour, and Rock Pipits at the tower.

Early Thursday morning saw me return for a fuller examination. The only summer species left were Sandwich Terns. A large flock of Goldfinch were hammering the Teasel behind the seawall, while behind Lime Kiln Beach, a large flock of Long-Tailed Tits were working their way along the path.

Best bird of the day however would normally have gone to the Goldeneye I spotted heading up the Forth. Without consulting my records, I think this is only the second seen along the strip.

The Goldeneye however was trumped by a new entry to the list, when four Rooks flew over. It has been a long wait for a bird that is relatively common.

116. Rook
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5999.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	783.2 KB
ID:	707832  

Last edited by Gander : Friday 18th October 2019 at 10:18.
Old Yesterday, 14:47   #279
Gander

I arrived at the carpark at 09:30 hrs, with high tide having been about an hour earlier.
My hope was that with the high levels of water, I might find a winter Kingfisher on the few un-submerged rocks close in to the path between the harbour and the tower.

Heading south along the path towards the harbour, I came across another birder heading back to the car park. We chatted briefly, during which he informed me that he had seen a small group of Long-Tailed Duck. He also thought he'd seen a Little Auk, but was doubtful himself.

Moving on, I soon found the L-T Ducks, just out from the harbour. On the pebbly shore of the harbour, a couple of Wagtails were flitting about. Initially I thought they were male and female Yarrellii, but after watching them for a while, I concluded that one of the birds was probably an Alba (see what you think from photos).

Moving on again, I reached the tower without encountering any Kingfishers. Always an optimistic target I suppose.

Beyond the tower, there was little bird action. Leaden skies and cool temperatures not encouraging much to show. Great Tit was the only bird of note (L-TD excepted) by this point, with it being new for the month. I thought of cutting my visit short, but decided to push on to the benches, at least.

With nothing unexpected making the list, I turned back at the benches, having sat for a short while to sea watch. The journey back was pretty uneventful, apart from an overhead Yellowhammer, until I was about halfway down the slope approaching the tower. Stopping briefly to scan the rocks in the cove, a flash of blue was picked up, and I was onto a Kingfisher. A welcome addition to the year list. Hopefully, it will stay for the winter.

Passing the tower, a new addition for the month popped up in the scrub, in the shape of a male Stonechat.

With the L-T Ducks having arrived, I am only short Red-Breasted Mergansers to have a full set of my regular winter residents. Although I still have high hopes of a Black Redstart appearing on the strip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alba Wag.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	642.2 KB
ID:	708262  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6043.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	613.5 KB
ID:	708263  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6045.jpg
Views:	5