Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Canon EOS1DX MkIII rumours, speculation, field test escapees, teasers & announcements

Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 17:55   #1
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up Canon EOS1DX MkIII rumours, speculation, field test escapees, teasers & announcements

Canon rumours has it that the successor to the EOS1DX MKII has begun field testing with a very small number of photographers and/or engineers.
https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eo...ing-has-begun/

The whole rationale behind this camera is that it will be the company's high performance flagship which they have stated at this point in time will be DSLR. As such AF performance will be key.

I expect evolution rather than revolution.

With the 2020 Tokyo Olympics looming, company pride will be on the line. I would expect that Canon would want these in the hands of Pro's in commercial quantities perhaps late this year or first thing next year, so that they are fully conversant with it's operation come the Games.

What to expect: (my guesstimates)
* Ergonomics essentially the same .....
* 24MP (stacked?) BSI CMOS sensor
* 16 fps in all modes
* at least 153+ focus points, all cross type operable at f8, perhaps even some central matrix at f9.5? with AF down to -5EV
* vastly uprated RGB+IF sensor, 720,000 pixel or more, and improved algorithms /AI.
* dual DIGIC 9+
* 4K 60p oversampled video, and uprated 19201080 full HD at up to 240fps capability.
* fully articulated 2.1Million dot LCD screen
* dual CFExpress card slots.
* uprated built in wireless protocols and hardware.

This will be the last roll of the Woolly Mammoth dice ..... I would expect a mid life refresh about 3 years after launch with a hybrid OVF+EVF viewfinder, and uprated hybrid e-shutter capability, etc. There may also be a higher resolution (lower fps) variant sold alongside then as well. Expect these to see the 2020's out with no further significant R&D to the DSLR platform .......

Somewhere in the latter half of this initial 2020 /~2023 interval, expect an 'R' mount Mirrorless IDX successor to debut, and begin the take over process.

What are your thoughts? / mail? I'm particularly interested if anyone has a 'friend of a friend' who has laid eyes /hands on one of these protypes in testing, confirmed specs, or even a cheeky spy photo !

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Friday 22nd February 2019 at 18:32.

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 19:04   #2
MJN

I currently use a 1DX2 and it's a remarkable camera. Basically the first and most important upgrade I would look for in a 1DX3 would be a shutter mechanism that doesn't spray oil all over the sensor cover. Other than that, the DX2 is the business.
Old Wednesday 13th March 2019, 05:50   #3
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Evolution Not Revolution

The latest mail has an announcement sometime between Q4 2019 and Q2 2020. I would think Canon would want these out in the market ASAP so that the Pro's can fully get to grips with them in plenty of time for work duty at the Tokyo Olympics.

No concrete specs are known at this time, but I have heard a number of MkII owners calling for a sensor that doesn't attract dust like theirs do - perhaps stopping the oil spraying as MJN mentioned might be a good start. If there are protypes undergoing field testing at this time then someone knows something ....
https://www.canonrumors.com/the-futu...-x-series-cr1/

The rumour also has it that the 'high resolution' Mirrorless R model [if that is what is meant by the "pro" model, a Nikon Z8 and Sony a7rIV competitor - otherwise it could refer to a Mirrorless IDX III - an a9(II) competitor, though I think it may be too soon for that] will be delivered after the IDX III. Given the high spec high dollar R lenses that have led that range's release, Canon Mirrorless customers are crying out for a high end [EVF and MP] Mirrorless body to suit.

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Wednesday 13th March 2019 at 06:05.

Old Wednesday 27th March 2019, 06:01   #4
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Canon EOS 1DX III won't be released until 2020

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-rest...uct-lines-cr2/

It seems the best we could hope for this year is an end-of-year announcement for early 2020 release ....

Chosun

Old Wednesday 29th May 2019, 11:18   #5
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
....... What are your thoughts? / mail? I'm particularly interested if anyone has a 'friend of a friend' who has laid eyes /hands on one of these protypes in testing, confirmed specs, or even a cheeky spy photo !
I will bet that there is someone who knows someone who knows of someone testing an engineering mule or prototype of the 1DX Mk III ....... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dig...-2020-olympics

Any snippets ??

Chosun

Old Wednesday 29th May 2019, 19:14   #6
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
I currently use a 1DX2 and it's a remarkable camera. Basically the first and most important upgrade I would look for in a 1DX3 would be a shutter mechanism that doesn't spray oil all over the sensor cover. Other than that, the DX2 is the business.
Maybe a different oil formulation would be a first step?

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th June 2019, 18:14   #7
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation Mirrorless Sister for 1DX II/III

A rumour has a mirrorless hi-speed model (R9? R1X?) making a debut before the hi-res model (R7? R8?). No specs or release date, but you would have to wager that the DSLR 1DXIII would still put in an appearance first. The R mount still needs those physically looooong supertelephotos in a native mount if a Pro model is to be taken seriously. I'd expect the 300 f2.8, and 500 f4 to make their R debuts first ....... when - who knows?
https://www.canonnews.com/new-rumor-...-than-expected

Chosun

Old Monday 24th June 2019, 18:38   #8
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
The CanonRumors article (https://www.canonrumors.com/canons-e...y-thought-cr1/) suggested it could be at the same time as the 1DxIII, which they recognize would be a first for Canon.

Canon/nikon must be feeling a lot of Sony heat at the moment. Maybe this is Canon's way to shake the tree.
Old Tuesday 25th June 2019, 01:04   #9
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
The CanonRumors article (https://www.canonrumors.com/canons-e...y-thought-cr1/) suggested it could be at the same time as the 1DxIII, which they recognize would be a first for Canon.

Canon/nikon must be feeling a lot of Sony heat at the moment. Maybe this is Canon's way to shake the tree.
I think they're certainly feeling the heat - but would conservative Canon be so bold ? I think that would uproot the tree and all the monkeys in it !

The Pro's tasked with capturing and making a living at the event will be rusted on Pro DSLR users. Familiarity breeds confidence and performance. They'll know the limitations and the plan B's.

I can't see Canon being so bold as a public release - for one thing where are the native R mount supertelephotos ? It's also a company in self declared contraction. Also given Canon's Mirrorless AF performance so far they're not exactly setting the world alight. From what I've seen and read, some of the results turn out okay (somehow) but the tracking system is a couple of steps behind (clearly seen when filmed). Sony seems to have a handy lead.

Perhaps the engineers will be out secretly (as secretly as you can under a global gaze ! :) real world testing some prototypes and mules.

Maybe any public releases would be confined to the 'R9' (or whatever it will be called) body fitted to the new R mount lens 70-200 f2.8and strapped to the side as a 2nd system like a lightweight photo journalists kit ...... ?

Chosun

Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 11:13   #10
stevo

Watching wimbledon this week & one of the pros had a 1dx sized camera,what was different was the units for the strap lugs.Both were bright green & stood out.Just wondered if it was a 1dxiii protoype being tested.
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 12:37   #11
Mark Batten

Quote:
Thinking about moving from the 1DX mark 1 to mark 2. The reports re oil on the sensor put me off. How frequent is the problem?
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 14:35   #12
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Batten View Post
Thinking about moving from the 1DX mark 1 to mark 2. The reports re oil on the sensor put me off. How frequent is the problem?
I guess if you listen to Canon then there isn't a problem. It may be worth you googling and visiting Fred Miranda forums and get a slightly contrasting view.
I'm currently awaiting the return of mine from Canon after it's fourth visit to Elstree. My mates camera has no problem whatsoever.
Best.
Mike.
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 15:47   #13
Mark Batten

Quote:
I guess if you listen to Canon then there isn't a problem. It may be worth you googling and visiting Fred Miranda forums and get a slightly contrasting view.
I'm currently awaiting the return of mine from Canon after it's fourth visit to Elstree. My mates camera has no problem whatsoever.
Best.
Mike.
Had no problems with the Mark 1 which is a superb camera.
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 16:11   #14
MJN

I've never used a mk1 so can't comment on it.
Every person I've spoken to that has had them both is in no doubt that the mk2 is a worthwhile upgrade.
There is a problem with mine that takes way more attention than I would ideally like to spend on it.
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 18:38   #15
Mark Batten

Quote:
I've never used a mk1 so can't comment on it.
Every person I've spoken to that has had them both is in no doubt that the mk2 is a worthwhile upgrade.
There is a problem with mine that takes way more attention than I would ideally like to spend on it.
Which suggests it is not much of an upgrade:-)
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 00:08   #16
mr_birdman
No longer a Canon Snob.

Quote:
Agreed, the camera (and Nikon's D5) are unbeatable for action photography. The oil is a real pain in the rear. My better half and I have those bodies and cannot clean the sensors enough. Very poor design Canon!

BF Supporter 2011 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 00:11   #17
mr_birdman
No longer a Canon Snob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Batten View Post
How frequent is the problem?
S H I T

Period. But you can keep cleaning sensors. It's not a huge issue for my bird or aviation photography, but for macro or any other where I step down to say f/11 or more the spots become VERY visible. No matter how many times I clean both 1Dx2 sensors in our arsenal, the issue remains. Every 1Dx2 user I spoke to has the same issue.

Canon should be ashamed of developing a camera that is so expensive yet poor in sensor quality. (referring to oil on sensor, not overall image quality, which is superb once you stop grumbling about the oil spots)

BF Supporter 2011 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 07:50   #18
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_birdman View Post
S H I T

Period. But you can keep cleaning sensors. It's not a huge issue for my bird or aviation photography, but for macro or any other where I step down to say f/11 or more the spots become VERY visible. No matter how many times I clean both 1Dx2 sensors in our arsenal, the issue remains. Every 1Dx2 user I spoke to has the same issue.

Canon should be ashamed of developing a camera that is so expensive yet poor in sensor quality. (referring to oil on sensor, not overall image quality, which is superb once you stop grumbling about the oil spots)
Agreed.
My camera as good as it undoubtedly is cannot realistically be used for macro at f16. The clean background looks like the Milky Way and when analysed at pixel level contains thousands of tiny black spots.
For birds at f5.6 - f8 its superb.
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 12:24   #19
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

On 'good' authority from a 'reliable' source the 1DX III is coming in 2020 as expected.
Able to do 6K video without crop, and protypes have IBIS.
It looks like it will match the Nikon D6 blow for blow (also as expected). I hope they get the oil spray issues sorted too ....

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-cano...oming-in-2020/

Chosun

Old Monday 7th October 2019, 15:54   #20
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

28MP, 30fps, IBIS

The latest rumoured specs ..... sounds like Canon may be actually trying to do more than just compete here ....
https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eo...fications-cr1/

Chosun

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: