Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kowa BDII-XD - september 2019

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Thursday 19th September 2019, 06:56   #101
[email protected]
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Thanks Dennis.

Andy W.
No problem. I pre-ordered mine from Binoculars USA. I got a 5% discount.
denco@comcast.n is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 20th September 2019, 01:43   #102
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,668
From what I have read, I think I am going to skip the 6.5X42, and possibly look at the 8X32. At that price, I hope folks get a good sample. There is much discussion about this new Kowa glass, here and elsewhere. Besides the Meostar B1.1, the new Kowas are the only new ones in town, and they have not arrived yet.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th September 2019, 02:14   #103
[email protected]
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,120
I received an Email from Binoculars USA and they said the Kowa's aren't going to be released till 10/25/19. I told them I would wait but I hope this doesn't turn into a Leica Trinovid like fiasco where they will never will be delivered at all. Binoculars USA by the way seems like a great dealer. They sure keep you informed about your order!
denco@comcast.n is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 20th September 2019, 15:06   #104
Upland
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42za View Post
I will be interested to know if the new Kowa BDII-XD series will actually have better optical performance than the old BD-XD Prominar series , or is it only an increase in the Field of View that sets the new series apart.

My wild guess is that Kowa have only changed the eye-pieces and kept the other optics and lenses from the old BD-XD series.

So the question is , if a person is satisfied with the field of view of the old BD-XD Prominar series will it be worth while to upgrade.

But the 6.5 x 32 does interest me .

I have an old series 8 x 42 BD-XD Prominar and I think that it is a very fine binocular.

Cheers.
When I spoke with Paul Kardos he assured me this is a completely redesigned optical system along with the nicer more ergonomic body style. The increased fov, close focus distance and a much faster focusing speed confirm this in my mind. Looking forward to receiving mine.
Upland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 20th September 2019, 20:56   #105
gcole
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland View Post
Binoculars USA was offering a 5% discount on pre orders but I think it ran out last night. They’re just starting up so I imagine a phone call would get you that discount.
Online pre-order now 10% no phone call needed = $359 USA
gcole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 01:48   #106
[email protected]
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
Online pre-order now 10% no phone call needed = $359 USA
I wonder if they are going to keep increasing the discount the closer they get to being released? Maybe we should wait awhile!

Last edited by [email protected] : Saturday 21st September 2019 at 01:52.
denco@comcast.n is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 02:36   #107
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 6,098
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
.... Can anyone tell me which way the focuser goes to infinity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland View Post
When I spoke with Paul Kardos he assured me this is a completely redesigned optical system along with the nicer more ergonomic body style. The increased fov, close focus distance and a much faster focusing speed confirm this in my mind. Looking forward to receiving mine.
Can anyone confirm focuser direction towards infinity ??




Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 03:49   #108
wdc
Registered User
 
wdc's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moraga, California
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland View Post
When I spoke with Paul Kardos he assured me this is a completely redesigned optical system along with the nicer more ergonomic body style. The increased fov, close focus distance and a much faster focusing speed confirm this in my mind. Looking forward to receiving mine.
We are an eager, curious bunch, and perhaps we're all suckers. We'll find out in about a month, eh?

At least we can return them if they fail in some fashion to meet our expectations.

The last 6x30 I ordered (and returned) was from Maven. Why did I return it? One reason was that I tested it at dusk sitting in the house looking out at the yard, including the birdfeeder. As a companion to compare it with, I used the Leupod Yosemite 6x30. The Leupold was visibly brighter in low light compared to the Maven. My wife observed the same result. Maybe that is just Porro vs. roof optics, both with decent coatings, I don't know. The Maven was a sweet little ergo/mechanical package, but it wasn't necessarily better optically, and it was 5x the price.
We'll see how the Kowa fares against the Leupold. At least it is only 3.5x the price... It'll most certainly have a wider field, and perhaps a much better focuser than the Leupold. But then there's dusk.... ;-)

-Bill

Last edited by wdc : Saturday 21st September 2019 at 04:08.
wdc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 04:06   #109
[email protected]
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
We are an eager, curious, bunch, and perhaps we're all suckers. We'll find out in about a month, eh?

At least we can return them if they fail in some fashion to meet our expectations.

The last 6x30 I ordered (and returned) was from Maven. Why did I return it? One reason was that I tested it at dusk sitting in the house looking out at the yard, including the birdfeeder. As a companion to compare it with, I used the Leupod Yosemite 6x30. The Leupold was visibly brighter in low light compared to the Maven. My wife observed the same result. Maybe that is just Porro vs. roof optics, both with decent coatings, I don't know. The Maven was a sweet little ergo/mechanical package, but it wasn't necessarily better optically, and it was 5x the price.
We'll see how the Kowa fares against the Leupold. At least it is only 3.5x the price... It'll most certainly have a wider field, and perhaps a much better focuser than the Leupold. But then there's dusk.... ;-)

-Bill
Interesting. But not surprising. A porro almost always has better transmission than a roof. Less glass surfaces to absorb light. I observe the same thing with my porro's Nikon EII and Habicht's. Those little Leupold's are surprisingly good binoculars for $100.00. The Kowa's with their wide FOV will have a more complex ocular which will absorb more light also.

Last edited by [email protected] : Saturday 21st September 2019 at 06:11.
denco@comcast.n is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 13:22   #110
gcole
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 1,039
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
Online pre-order now 10% no phone call needed = $359 USA
I forgot to mention in their Returns policy, there is a restocking fee of 20% . This kinda cancels out their easy guarantee 30 day return policy. This amounts to about $70 on a $359 discounted sale plus you have to eat the original free shipping. On top of that , the returnee pays the return shipping cost. I think I will wait to see, if Dennis with his 5% deal turns out to be a sour tasting Lemon or what I experience every time I take shots of my favorite sweet tasting honey flavor Irish Whiskey

Last edited by gcole : Saturday 21st September 2019 at 13:35.
gcole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 13:38   #111
[email protected]
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
I forgot to mention in their Returns policy, there is a restocking fee of 20% . This kinda cancels out their easy guarantee 30 day return policy. This amounts to about $70 on a $359 discounted sale plus you have to eat the original free shipping. On top of that , the returnee pays the return shipping cost. I think I will wait to see, if Dennis with his 5% deal turns out to be a sour tasting Lemon or what I experience every time I take shots of my favorite sweet tasting honey flavor Irish Whiskey
If I knew they had a 20% restocking fee I don't think I would have ordered there. Too risky on a brand new binocular when there are so many dealers with easy returns like Amazon.com, B&H, Adorama and Optics Planet. I canceled my pre-order with USA Binoculars. Thanks, for that information.

Last edited by [email protected] : Saturday 21st September 2019 at 13:46.
denco@comcast.n is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 14:18   #112
gcole
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If I knew they had a 20% restocking fee I don't think I would have ordered there. Too risky on a brand new binocular when there are so many dealers with easy returns like Amazon.com, B&H, Adorama and Optics Planet. I canceled my pre-order with USA Binoculars. Thanks, for that information.
If Binoculars USA actually follows thru with whats in their Returns Policy on a $359 deal, that would turn out to be around a $100 loss for me if purchased and returned. Maybe some forum member here that has had a transaction and return could verify this.
gcole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 14:22   #113
[email protected]
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
If Binoculars USA actually follows thru with what’s in their Returns Policy on a $359 deal, that would turn out to be around a $100 loss for me if purchased and returned. Maybe some forum member here that has had a transaction and return could verify this.
I think Binoculars USA is a start up so probably nobody has had any experience with them.
denco@comcast.n is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 15:02   #114
gcole
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 1,039
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If I knew they had a 20% restocking fee I don't think I would have ordered there. Too risky on a brand new binocular when there are so many dealers with easy returns like Amazon.com, B&H, Adorama and Optics Planet. I canceled my pre-order with USA Binoculars. Thanks, for that information.
I have purchased Optics from all of the above retailers and never had a restocking fee. I always new I had to pay the piper in the form of return shipping for the privilege of returning the item. I admit I am veryeeee tempted to purchase the Kowa which I do not need. The possibility of having to pay a $70 restocking fee , plus to and from shipping ..... I will wait for one of the above sellers deals if and when it comes. I recently sold a 6.5x32 Japan made IF Very Good Binocular just because I really did not need it, but if this Kowa “ Center Focus ” turns out to be as Kowa advertises ? I probably will not be able to control my purchasing impulses.

Last edited by gcole : Saturday 21st September 2019 at 15:05.
gcole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 22nd September 2019, 00:57   #115
[email protected]
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,120
I have not encountered this 20% restocking fee in a long time so I assumed Binoculars USA had free returns just like all the other sellers. This sounds like a blast from the past. Anyway they cancelled my order and refunded my money and I will wait till the dealers with free returns get the Kowa in stock. It is too risky with a new binocular like this. It could turn out to be a dog!
denco@comcast.n is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 22nd September 2019, 21:06   #116
edwincjones
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,183
What does a dealer do with returned stock?

-sell as new again when it is not?
-sell with used discount?
-just eat the loss?

edj
__________________
"I see skies of blue and clouds of white,
the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night,
and I think to myself what a wonderful world"
-L Armstrong, IZ, and others
edwincjones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 22nd September 2019, 21:10   #117
18000bph
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 90
I believe the dealer generally sells the returned item as new.
18000bph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 23rd September 2019, 10:00   #118
edwincjones
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000bph View Post
I believe the dealer generally sells the returned item as new.
If I received a returned object as new-and knew it,
I would wonder/worry what was wrong with it to be returned;
and lose faith with the dealer.
I would expect a discount-justification for a restocking fee.

edj
__________________
"I see skies of blue and clouds of white,
the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night,
and I think to myself what a wonderful world"
-L Armstrong, IZ, and others
edwincjones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 23rd September 2019, 11:09   #119
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincjones View Post
If I received a returned object as new-and knew it,
I would wonder/worry what was wrong with it to be returned;
and lose faith with the dealer.
I would expect a discount-justification for a restocking fee.
edj
Hi,

if I can't tell that it's a return (as in being clean and fully working), I don't care. If it obviously has been handled (has fingerprints or other light dirt but is fully working) I would expect to have paid less for an open box/demo unit.

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 23rd September 2019, 23:37   #120
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000bph View Post
I believe the dealer generally sells the returned item as new.
If there is anything wrong with it, he should not move it on, if he does, then that would be up to the seller to check what the dealer is trying to give him,err.. (hose him) to sell. I always check my products, always.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th September 2019, 09:52   #121
edwincjones
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
If there is anything wrong with it, he should not move it on, if he does, then that would be up to the seller to check what the dealer is trying to give him,err.. (hose him) to sell. I always check my products, always.

Andy W.

thanks for the replies

edj
__________________
"I see skies of blue and clouds of white,
the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night,
and I think to myself what a wonderful world"
-L Armstrong, IZ, and others

Last edited by edwincjones : Tuesday 24th September 2019 at 09:55.
edwincjones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 29th September 2019, 14:42   #122
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I already have the SV 8x32 and I don't think there is anyway the Kowa 8x32 is going to be better than the SV.
One way the 8x32 Kowa is better than the SV is that is has a field of view over 19% bigger when compared on an area of view basis.

And no, fov is not the only criteria on which to judge but sometimes fov is just what you need.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 29th September 2019, 18:13   #123
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 6,098
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
One way the 8x32 Kowa is better than the SV is that is has a field of view over 19% bigger when compared on an area of view basis.

And no, fov is not the only criteria on which to judge but sometimes fov is just what you need.

Lee
Lee,

Is that more or less than when going from a medium to a large size pizza? what about when going from a large to a family size? Is the ham green or fresh off the bone? And why don't people like pineapple?! Isn't that pineapplist??



Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 29th September 2019, 18:59   #124
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Lee,

Is that more or less than when going from a medium to a large size pizza? what about when going from a large to a family size? Is the ham green or fresh off the bone? And why don't people like pineapple?! Isn't that pineapplist??

Chosun
Some people say it all depends on the apparent size of the pizza not the size in reality, and in this context pineapple is like the Higgs boson - even when its not there, you know its been there! The correct name for fear of pineapple might be ananaphobia or it might humbug. Folks in France sometimes order their steaks cooked 'blue' in restaurants, so these same folks might like their ham 'green', although, technically speaking, green ham is ham that hasn't been cooked, cured or smoked.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 30th September 2019, 09:41   #125
edwincjones
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,183
25 days and counting

edj
__________________
"I see skies of blue and clouds of white,
the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night,
and I think to myself what a wonderful world"
-L Armstrong, IZ, and others
edwincjones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rwanda and Uganda September 2019 the wicker man Companions for Birding Trips 3 Saturday 26th January 2019 08:38
Rwanda - September 2019 for 10 days the wicker man Companions for Birding Trips 0 Thursday 3rd January 2019 19:52
Kowa Digital camera adapter TSN-DA1 with Kowa 28mm step down ring on Ebay Oenanthe Digiscoping Adapters 1 Saturday 17th March 2012 14:53



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.14843893 seconds with 40 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:03.