Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

new tripod

Old Thursday 19th September 2019, 08:17   #1
welsh_kite

new tripod

Hi All.
I'm looking to buy a new tripod in the 150-200 ish mark.
advice please as to what to look at.
I'll be using my Kowa TSN 821

regards Baz

Last edited by welsh_kite : Thursday 19th September 2019 at 09:39.
Old Friday 20th September 2019, 20:54   #2
johnf3f
johnf3f

Just my 2p, but I would wait (save) and get something better than your current budget allows. I use your scope's predecessor - namely a TSN4.

I occasionally use it on a Gitzo GT2531 (not really up to the job but light) or a Gitzo GT4542LS - much better but could be better still.

I find scopes to be far more demanding on tripods than even the largest lenses that Canon make (yes I have their longest EF lens) which is why I advocate the best tripods. A tripod upgrade is much cheaper than a scope upgrade and gives more improvement IMO.

Just my thoughts.
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 10:01   #3
jring

Hi,

I agree with John that at the given budget a good tripod will be hard to find new.

On the other hand these used legs on UK ebay look very much like my old Velbon legs and might work as well for you as mine do for me (with a Kowa TSN-3, which is 200g lighter than your scope but that should be no issue).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velbon-Ca...sAAOSw6PtchkQo

Be prepared to get rid of the head on that and replace with sth reasonable - I like the 500AH.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrotto...wAAOSwGUhdg4fE

And maybe a mulepack... I like mine a lot.

Joachim
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 20:34   #4
johnf3f
johnf3f

As Jring says it is hard to find a good tripod new at sensible money - I have but I am a spawney get! I have also had one or two, ridiculously good purchases second hand. I use Gitzo tripods because I have found them to be the best (in Europe) and they are cheaper than the Chinese copies.

Be patient, hunt around, the bargains are out there...............
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: