• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New North American Hawk I.D. Book (1 Viewer)

Andy1

I have recently found a great new book for North American hawk identification. It's title is Hawks From Every Angle authored by Jerry Liguori. This book is destined to become a classic "must have" book for birders interested in the identification challenges posed by hawks, falcons, eagles, osprey and vultures.

This book is unique in that it focuses on the identification of these birds in flight - where they are most often spotted and where the plumage coloration details described in typical field guides are often of minimal usefulness. Instead, this book shows and desctribes the clues veteran hawk spotters use for identification such as flight pattern, attitude, body/wing shape and proportions, etc. Description and photos of each species show every angle they are likely to be seen with side-by-side comparison photos of similar species. Photo quality is excellent and photo image editing was used to make the birds in all comparison photos similar size. Each species description contains +/- 15 - 20 color photos to accompany the rich text. The photos show differences between sexes, different color morphs, as well as the differences between juvenile and adult birds of each species. Each species group contains detailed text description. For example, Buteo text headings are: Buteo Pitfalls - plumage, wing panels; Flight Style - wing beat; Soaring; Head-on; Gliding overhead; Wing-on/Going Away. Key important information is also in bold text. Black & white comparison photos between species have pointers showing key differneces in body shape and proportion.

If you want to improve your skill in identifying hawks in flight, I would strongly recommend this book. It is definitely worth the $20 price I paid for it. Check it out - you won't be dissapointed. :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back