Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Yipee for me. I,m a (bad) birdwatcher.

Old Tuesday 30th August 2005, 02:55   #1
ehrodz

Yipee for me. I,m a (bad) birdwatcher.

I felt a little less inadequate as a birdwatcher after reading the review of Simon Barns book How to be a (Bad) Birdwacher in the Sept-Oct issue of Audubon. A bad birdwacher bungles through. Does not sweat the technical stuff. And just looks and has fun. I think I'll read the book and just maybe, instead of feeling a little less inadequate as a birdwatcher, I'll feel a little more adequate.
Old Tuesday 30th August 2005, 11:28   #2
joser

Yes, it is a very good book. Regardless of ability and experience you can still enjoy birds and be happy and content at any level.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 12th October 2005, 04:32   #3
Pied Kingfisher

I would like to join the group and I must be bad enough by having bought and placed so many bird guides on my bookshelves.
Old Thursday 13th October 2005, 18:53   #4
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Bad Birdwatcher

I also think the book is excellent and agree with his definition of a bad birdwatcher, I most surely am one even though I will occassionally twitch a rarity. I absolutely love watching birds, give me a saltmarsh with thousands of waders, a wood with a feeding flock of lbj's or a decent cliff for seawatching and I am in heaven. No matter that I still have problems deciding where the tertials are, or if thats a supercilium or not I'm having fun.
The world would be a much better place with more men of Simon Barnes outlook in high places.
Keith
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrodz
I felt a little less inadequate as a birdwatcher after reading the review of Simon Barns book How to be a (Bad) Birdwacher in the Sept-Oct issue of Audubon. A bad birdwacher bungles through. Does not sweat the technical stuff. And just looks and has fun. I think I'll read the book and just maybe, instead of feeling a little less inadequate as a birdwatcher, I'll feel a little more adequate.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 15th October 2005, 09:51   #5
russkie

Keith
you have given me an idea - why dont we arrange a field trip - in the northeast for us average birdwatchers?
we can go out with or field guides and try to help each other make sense of the lbj's , gulls , and non-descript waders, and not feel inadequate beng with our peers.
Maybe one or two experts could come along from the forum to help us along - a sort of teach in.
Please post here if you fancy it - it cant be that hard to arrange !
Im willing to try to organise it if I can get some names.
cheers Nigel
Old Saturday 15th October 2005, 17:32   #6
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Sounds like a great idea, Russkie.

Funnily enough I was thinking along the same lines as the gist of this thread when I was at St Mary's (Whitley Bay) today.

I was in the middle of a small blizzard of goldcrests - probably a small fall really, but magical to me - when another birder mentioned that there was a paddyfield warbler further up county, and I realised that it would be wasted on me because I wouldn't know a paddyfield warbler if it stood up in my soup.

But I didn't care, because I was up to my knees in goldies - and that was good enough for me, "common" or not.

Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, TCs.
www.capture-the-moment.co.uk

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: