• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yipee for me. I,m a (bad) birdwatcher. (1 Viewer)

ehrodz

I felt a little less inadequate as a birdwatcher after reading the review of Simon Barns book How to be a (Bad) Birdwacher in the Sept-Oct issue of Audubon. A bad birdwacher bungles through. Does not sweat the technical stuff. And just looks and has fun. I think I'll read the book and just maybe, instead of feeling a little less inadequate as a birdwatcher, I'll feel a little more adequate.

Yes, it is a very good book. Regardless of ability and experience you can still enjoy birds and be happy and content at any level.

Bad Birdwatcher

I also think the book is excellent and agree with his definition of a bad birdwatcher, I most surely am one even though I will occassionally twitch a rarity. I absolutely love watching birds, give me a saltmarsh with thousands of waders, a wood with a feeding flock of lbj's or a decent cliff for seawatching and I am in heaven. No matter that I still have problems deciding where the tertials are, or if thats a supercilium or not I'm having fun.
The world would be a much better place with more men of Simon Barnes outlook in high places.
Keith
ehrodz said:
I felt a little less inadequate as a birdwatcher after reading the review of Simon Barns book How to be a (Bad) Birdwacher in the Sept-Oct issue of Audubon. A bad birdwacher bungles through. Does not sweat the technical stuff. And just looks and has fun. I think I'll read the book and just maybe, instead of feeling a little less inadequate as a birdwatcher, I'll feel a little more adequate.

Keith
you have given me an idea - why dont we arrange a field trip - in the northeast for us average birdwatchers?
we can go out with or field guides and try to help each other make sense of the lbj's , gulls , and non-descript waders, and not feel inadequate beng with our peers.
Maybe one or two experts could come along from the forum to help us along - a sort of teach in.
Please post here if you fancy it - it cant be that hard to arrange !
Im willing to try to organise it if I can get some names.
cheers Nigel

Sounds like a great idea, Russkie.

Funnily enough I was thinking along the same lines as the gist of this thread when I was at St Mary's (Whitley Bay) today.

I was in the middle of a small blizzard of goldcrests - probably a small fall really, but magical to me - when another birder mentioned that there was a paddyfield warbler further up county, and I realised that it would be wasted on me because I wouldn't know a paddyfield warbler if it stood up in my soup.

But I didn't care, because I was up to my knees in goldies - and that was good enough for me, "common" or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back