Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular bargains

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Sunday 15th September 2019, 11:45   #3851
Ries

The Meopta Meostar B1 10x42HD price goes down and down here in NL, only €612 now! Verrrry tempted...
Old Sunday 15th September 2019, 13:29   #3852
justabirdwatcher

I recently bought a pair of older, non-HD B1 10x42's. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I've always written them off as too heavy and chunky in the hands. But after using them for a week or so, I'm starting to like the way they fit my hands, and the weight is a bonus for keeping the 10x steady while hand-holding. The main reason I bought them was to use on a tripod or window mount, so the weight wasn't really a concern for that use.

The B1's have IMO one of the best eyecups in the business. They suck into my eye sockets perfectly, with just the right amount of eye relief that I get a full field of view and no beans or blackouts. They are one of the most comfortable bins to my eyes that I've ever used - reminding me a lot of my old Nikon LX-L's actually, which is high praise.

I think if you can get past the initial impressions of chunky, heavy binoculars, you might just love them. There is nothing lacking from their image quality. You'd have to pay 3x as much to get any better, and even then it would barely be noticeable.

I say go for it.
Old Sunday 15th September 2019, 15:53   #3853
Ries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ries View Post
The Meopta Meostar B1 10x42HD price goes down and down here in NL, only €612 now! Verrrry tempted...
Sold out now, no idea how
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 03:20   #3854
[email protected]

A seller on Ebay has a new Fujinon 12x28 TECHNO-STABI Image Stabilized Binocular for $425.00(Plus $16.02 shipping). Good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujinon-12x...8AAOSwPu9ddo74
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 05:22   #3855
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A seller on Ebay has a new Fujinon 12x28 TECHNO-STABI Image Stabilized Binocular for $425.00(Plus $16.02 shipping). Good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujinon-12x...8AAOSwPu9ddo74
The 12x28 shown in the link for $425.00 is a used item. What is its price new?

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 05:59   #3856
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
The 12x28 shown in the link for $425.00 is a used item. What is its price new?

Bob
The description on that Fujinon says "“Like new, warehouse stored, not in original packaging, has carry bag and neck strap."

Here is another listing for a new one for $569.00 or best offer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujinon-Tec...sAAOSwvw1c5EXp
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 13:52   #3857
Sheikov2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTS View Post
Natchez have the Weaver Super Slam 8.5x45 on sale (again) at $399.99.

MRSP 2014 $1062.49, 2019 $819.99.

Adorama no stock
Amazon no stock
B&H Photo $697.99 (no stock, special order, 3-5 weeks, and not from Weaver).

They will sell them all eventually ...

341' @ 1000 yds, 18.5mm ER, central dioptre, IPD lock, scratch proof lenses,
apparently cold weather tested to - 20°F (-29°C), Hoya (?) ED glass,
open bridge magnesium body, 885g, manufactured in Japan.

Here : Weaver Super Slam 8.5x45

Natchez often have weekend discount codes (generally 10%, US only), which include their closeouts, so worth signing up for their emails if you are watching this one.

I bought one of these 5 years ago (then around $450.00) and have had it in fairly constant use since then, easy to handle, great focus wheel placement and very nice optics.
I am looking at those now. I am very tempted. I have the Bushnell Legend M 8x42 and thy are quite nice. I wonder if the SS would be an upgrade optically. I can buy the Weaver today for 397$ with shipping and tax included using a 10 percent off coupon. Do you know if they have a dialectric coating?
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 14:25   #3858
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikov2000 View Post
I am looking at those now. I am very tempted. I have the Bushnell Legend M 8x42 and thy are quite nice. I wonder if the SS would be an upgrade optically. I can buy the Weaver today for 397$ with shipping and tax included using a 10 percent off coupon. Do you know if they have a dialectric coating?
Where do you get the 10% off Ebay coupons?
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 14:32   #3859
SteveTS

There are have been a few of posts of the Natchezss offer of the Weaver Super Slam 8.5x45 on here going back to 2014.

Earlier @Nixterdemus dug out the Outdoor Life 2010 optics tests in which the Weaver Super Slam 10.5x45 came a very close second to the Swarovski EL SV 10x42. Sure the spec is a little different, the glass is the same, I have attached the results here.

Speaking for myself, I kept the Weaver Super Slam 8.5x45 in preference to an Alpen Rainier HD ED 10x42 and a Bushnell Elite HD ED 10x42: I owned both and kept the Weaver. In comparison not in the slightest concerned if they have a dialectric prism coating or not.

Interestingly very few of the Weaver Super Slam in either 10.5x45 or 8.5x45 have appeared on the pre-owned market, so I guess those that have bought them have kept them

YMMV and just ignore the post count professionals who have never held one.

Regards, Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Optics.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	705109  

Last edited by SteveTS : Tuesday 17th September 2019 at 14:38. Reason: typo!
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 16:24   #3860
Sheikov2000

I ordered the Weaver Super Slam. I figured it was forth the try for me. I could return it and just burn $30 for the shipping both ways. But it could very well be an upgrade from the Legend M. Once I have the Weaver I will report here. So far nothing touches the Legend M optically in the 300-400 price range. I have tried Athlon Midas, Bushnell Engage, the other Legend series (L, E) Vixen Foresta, Vanguard Endeavour ED II, Celestron Granites, Hawke Frontier ED. The only one that was as good was the Vixen Artes J, which I liked a lot.

Last edited by Sheikov2000 : Wednesday 18th September 2019 at 15:46.
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 17:23   #3861
gcole

Quote:
Outdoor Life 2010 optics tests in which the Weaver Super Slam 10.5x45 came a very close second to the Swarovski EL SV 10x42. Sure the spec is a little different, the glass is the same, I have attached the results

Regards, Steve
A few years back I owned the Weaver Super Slam 10.5 x45. I remember it to be a solidly built binocular. Also at the time I owned the Pentax ED 10x50 which was a tad sharper than the Weaver but if I had not had both of them side by side for comparison I doubt the small difference would have been noticeable. I kept the Pentax, sold the Weaver but always thought that the 8.5x version of the Weaver would have been optically better suited for my needs. I should have kept the Weaver being half the price of the Pentax. At the time the 10.5x version was selling for $300 shipped discounted on EBay new but the 8.5x was still listed for $800. If the prices had been reversed I would have bought the 8.5x Weaver. Back then good quality made optics having an affordable price to value prices were harder to find. Not today, with so many excellent Chinese and other foreign brands closing that quality/price gap. Today if I were in the market for a 8.5x binocular, the Weaver would be a good quality to value buy over a comparable Chinese brand due to the Weaver being made in Japan.
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 17:23   #3862
wdc

Quote:

Regards, Steve
I'll be the devil's advocate on this one. I've not used it, just studied the specs on the Natchez web site. A good deal on a binocular always gets my attention, so I look at the specs to see if the IPD and eye relief have the possibility of working for me. While those specs are in the ball park, the close focus seems UNREASONABLE: 62.2' ? Is that a typo?

The first binocular I bought specifically for birding was a direct response to trying out some astro binoculars on birds in my yard, and realizing they couldn't focus under 20'. The Weavers may be great optics, excel in low light, good for open range, hawk watching, maybe astro, but if you're in the trees, and the warblers and other characters are nearby, that is not the pair you want with you. Just keep that in mind! I imagine they were not designed or marketed for birders, even though they could probably do a fine job in certain circumstances. In others they will be inadequate. But at that price, one can afford to acquire such 'purpose built' devices...

-Bill

Last edited by wdc : Tuesday 17th September 2019 at 20:19. Reason: clarity
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 17:33   #3863
gcole

Quote:
I ordered the Weaver Super Slam. I figured it was forth the try for me. I could still return it and just burn $30 for the shipping both ways. But it could very well be an upgrade from the Legend M. Can’t wait to find out.
I would bet the Weaver will be a upgrade over the quality/construction build of the Bushnell. Optically, only your eyes can make that personal judgment. Having owned a Weaver not the Legend I would place my bet on the Japan made Weaver.
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 21:26   #3864
18000bph

P190916 for ten percent off the weaver
Old Wednesday 18th September 2019, 07:16   #3865
SteveTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
the close focus seems UNREASONABLE: 62.2' ? Is that a typo? -Bill
Yes, Bill, clearly a typo. The close focus is < 3 metres.

Regards, Steve
Old Friday 20th September 2019, 16:51   #3866
Sheikov2000

The Weaver SS came today. I immediately went out to test it agains my Bushnell Legend M. This was a short test, but I already have initial impressions. Fit and finish on the SS are good, but not better than the M. The M is very well made, and the focus is excellent with zero play. The SS is similar in built quality.
The view of the SS s nice and bright! The FOV is listed as 341’ but it seems open and not restrictive, quite possibly larger than listed. Detail and resolutions are both very good, but NOT better that the M. So here’s the thing - the sweet spot of the SS appears small. Smaller than the M for sure. The detail/contrast looking at the same object (Neighbour’s chimneys) is noticeably smaller on the SS. With the M, however, I see almost the entire object in perfect, comparable detail and resolution, before things go gently out of focus. Where the Weaver wins, however is ergonomics - simply superb with the placement of the focusing ring. Conclusion: Is it worth $400 over the M, for which I paid $160? No, it is not. It is hard to believe that its listed price was a grand.
I was mainly looking to upgrade from the Legend M for two reasons - to either get something more compact with similar performance, or to get something similar size, but better optically. So far I haven’t been find either, and of course I am looking at mid priced binoculars. Most likely I will return the Weaver. I will enjoy it for another day or two to check low light performance.

Last edited by Sheikov2000 : Friday 20th September 2019 at 16:55.
Old Friday 20th September 2019, 19:54   #3867
[email protected]

Quote:
The Weaver SS came today. I immediately went out to test it agains my Bushnell Legend M. This was a short test, but I already have initial impressions. Fit and finish on the SS are good, but not better than the M. The M is very well made, and the focus is excellent with zero play. The SS is similar in built quality.
The view of the SS s nice and bright! The FOV is listed as 341’ but it seems open and not restrictive, quite possibly larger than listed. Detail and resolutions are both very good, but NOT better that the M. So here’s the thing - the sweet spot of the SS appears small. Smaller than the M for sure. The detail/contrast looking at the same object (Neighbour’s chimneys) is noticeably smaller on the SS. With the M, however, I see almost the entire object in perfect, comparable detail and resolution, before things go gently out of focus. Where the Weaver wins, however is ergonomics - simply superb with the placement of the focusing ring. Conclusion: Is it worth $400 over the M, for which I paid $160? No, it is not. It is hard to believe that its listed price was a grand.
I was mainly looking to upgrade from the Legend M for two reasons - to either get something more compact with similar performance, or to get something similar size, but better optically. So far I haven’t been find either, and of course I am looking at mid priced binoculars. Most likely I will return the Weaver. I will enjoy it for another day or two to check low light performance.
Try the Celestron Trailseeker ED 8x42. it is a very good value at it's price point.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Tra...24599728&psc=1
https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.co...review-253.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qneV6gXNVmI
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 01:26   #3868
[email protected]

Here is a like new Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 for $650.00(shipped) on Astromart. Nice binocular at a good price.

https://astromart.com/classifieds/as...x42-monarch-hg
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 13:03   #3869
Sheikov2000

The older Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x32 is on sale for $166. However, until September 30th Vanguard has a $60 main-in-rebate, which would bring the price to$106!
BH Photo Video link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...inoculars.html
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 14:45   #3870
SteveTS

Quote:
The older Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x32...$106!
Pretty good! Any lower and you are in stocking filler territory.

The lowest over here this year has been $120.00, lowest currently is $215.00.
Old Monday 23rd September 2019, 13:29   #3871
Sheikov2000

Vixen Artes J 10x42 $361 (wrongly described by Amazon in the title as 8x. It is a 10x in the detailed description)
I bought the last one on Amazon in 8x42. It is incredible - sharp from corner to corner, bright, great focusing wheel, very compact for a 42, fantastic ergonomics, made in Japan. I will post a separate review of it. This Vixen Artes J seems the same as the Leupold Mojave BX-4 and Opticron DBA VHD.
Link to amazon for the 10x42: https://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Optics-...g-goods&sr=1-2

Last edited by Sheikov2000 : Monday 23rd September 2019 at 13:34.
Old Tuesday 24th September 2019, 13:31   #3872
MichelleOhio

Quote:
The older Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x32 is on sale for $166. However, until September 30th Vanguard has a $60 main-in-rebate, which would bring the price to$106!
BH Photo Video link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...inoculars.html
I would love to know where to find the 8.5x45. Can't locate them for some reason. (Vanguard says they are no longer made. Boo.)

Last edited by MichelleOhio : Tuesday 24th September 2019 at 13:51.
Old Tuesday 24th September 2019, 14:14   #3873
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleOhio View Post
I would love to know where to find the 8.5x45. Can't locate them for some reason. (Vanguard says they are no longer made. Boo.)
Here is a Vanguard Endeavor ED 8.5x45 on Ebay. NIB for $279.99.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vanguar...5.c10#viTabs_0
Old Tuesday 24th September 2019, 14:27   #3874
MichelleOhio

Thanks! Looks like a better deal to just stick with the 8x42 for just over $100.
Old Monday 30th September 2019, 14:20   #3875
Sheikov2000

The Vixen Artes J 10x42 is now down to $290 on Amazon. If you don’t mind the narrower FOV, it is a super sharp binocular. I love the 8x version of it.
https://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Optics-...gateway&sr=8-1
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: