Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Looking for a good birdfeeder for sunflower seeds

Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 18:57   #1
wunderlong88

Looking for a good birdfeeder for sunflower seeds

My son would like a good bird feeder to put out black sunflower seeds. We are looking for something not too expensive, if possible, but would like it to be reasonably easy to clean. Also, we wondered about rain and the seeds getting wet?

Here are 2 I am considering (we welcome other options):
https://www.amazon.com/Droll-Yankees...0633467&sr=8-9

or

https://www.amazon.com/Perky-Pet-B00...0633467&sr=8-4

Thank you,

Linda
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 19:44   #2
PYRTLE

Droll Yankee would be my choice, because.....
Robust, easy for birds to see the food, perch and extract the seed. All parts strip down for thorough, regular cleaning and reassembly.

Other one looks a bit clumsy, overengineered - why have a fly through?

One query, why black sunflower? these are messy with the husks gathering underneath. Hearts are more expensive but no waste.
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 20:38   #3
wunderlong88

I'm not sure about why he wants those seeds. He is the birder and just told me he wanted a feeder for those. We live in the country and have a lot of land, not concerned a bit about the mess but is it as economical to buy the hearts instead? Do they need a different type of feeder or will the Droll Yankee work for either?

Thanks.
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 22:06   #4
PYRTLE

The DY is suitable for both and also mixed seed. Economical depends on your view - your paying for the husk which will be discarded by birds and only attractive to rodents. The hearts are dearer. This feeder is not Grey Squirrel proof by the way, they will eventually gnaw through into the clear plastic.

Dependant on how keen your son is, try to offer other types of food so you attract a variety of bird species. Suet blocks and peanut butter products are popular.
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 15:22   #5
wunderlong88

Thank you for your help.

I don't think we have gray squirrels at all (we are in North Central Texas). We have a lot of wildlife but only occasionally see squirrels (they are brown). I don't know if they will be a problem or not.

My son became very interested in birding last fall and has identified 91 bird species on our property, alone. (He is actually the number one birder in our county for this year on ebird) He has a hummingbird feeder that he takes good care of and he requested a feeder for sunflower seeds. He reads much and for some reason wanted to attract the type of birds that like sunflower seeds. I think he will want more feeders to put other types of seed/food in the future. :-) He takes a lot of great photos of the birds, too.

I'm sure more birdfeeders are in our future...lol

Thanks for the help.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 19:48   #6
keithdog

I would go with the tube feeder myself. It looks like the second choice would allow a lot of moisture to get into the seed which could cause mold and rot if the seed is not consumed fast enough. The tube offers more protection against the elements, especially if you add a dome cover to it.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: