• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

2012 Garden species No. 59
Pink Footed Geese

First for the season (and of course the year), incredibly noisy double skien going over containing around 160 birds

Also had a Raven again yesteday evening

update

2012 Garden species No. 60
Greater Spotted Woodpecker male

and a Wren within a minute of the Woodpecker

A good day, and a little warmth and Sun as well

Last edited:
Amusing little tidbit.

Put out 2 large feeders this morning as the hawthorne trees are starting to go bare. 1 packed with nuts the other with sunflower hearts.

Threw out 4 or 5 handfuls of dry rice on the floor in the other direction to keep the pigeons and collared doves occupied.

Low and behold I come home 6 chaffinches and 3 goldfinches ignoring the feeders and walking along the ground pecking up dry rice.. lol.

Ah well :t:

Nice. How is 2012 going compared to 2011?

Just looked through last few years garden lists and I finished last year on 59 species, so 1 up already. Only realistic addition between now and year end is Greylag Goose and any Whoopers that flyover (fingers crossed), and of course a Mealy would be nice for this calander year.

Winter thrushes, Blackcap, Brambling etc were all captured earlier in the year but of course will be welcomed back to brighten up the winter days

Last edited:
Amusing little tidbit.

Put out 2 large feeders this morning as the hawthorne trees are starting to go bare. 1 packed with nuts the other with sunflower hearts.

Threw out 4 or 5 handfuls of dry rice on the floor in the other direction to keep the pigeons and collared doves occupied.

Low and behold I come home 6 chaffinches and 3 goldfinches ignoring the feeders and walking along the ground pecking up dry rice.. lol.

Ah well :t:

intresting food choice and a cheaper alternative ;)

of course a Mealy would be nice for this calander year.

Winter thrushes, Blackcap, Brambling etc were all captured earlier in the year but of course will be welcomed back to brighten up the winter days

Its always a dilemma. Bad winters bring better birds to the garden, but its the higher heating bills and general getting around issues that come with it!

I didn't see a Brambling at all last winter, so it would be a very welcome visitor here. Ideally on 31st Dec and 1st Jan;)

You should be careful with dried rice - it swells up significantly when wet (inside the birds little tummy!)

intresting food choice and a cheaper alternative

Indeed, The pigeons seem to love it and it keeps them occupied. I am not picky about what birdlife feeds in the yard Its all good!

You should be careful with dried rice - it swells up significantly when wet (inside the birds little tummy!)

Oh I am pretty new to birding but not that naive lol :t:

So talking about my noobishness I had posted i nthe identification thread earlier.

I am informed I have had a "Ring Ouzel" in my garden today at sundown and this is not so common. Thought I would share.

Attachments

• DSCN0342.JPG
    DSCN0342.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 65
Indeed, The pigeons seem to love it and it keeps them occupied. I am not picky about what birdlife feeds in the yard Its all good!

Oh I am pretty new to birding but not that naive lol :t:

So talking about my noobishness I had posted i nthe identification thread earlier.

I am informed I have had a "Ring Ouzel" in my garden today at sundown and this is not so common. Thought I would share.

Wow thats a great bird to get in the garden :eek!: and a great image of it too :t:

Last edited:
Superb garden tick - well done
Cheers!

Very busy tonight.
First time I have seen a fieldfare in the garden.

About 8 redwing but they wouldnt come out infront of the branches argh. Ouzel still there as well as 7 blackbirds and numerous great tit/goldfinch.

Cheers!

Very busy tonight.
First time I have seen a fieldfare in the garden.

About 8 redwing but they wouldnt come out infront of the branches argh. Ouzel still there as well as 7 blackbirds and numerous great tit/goldfinch.

pitch black where i am,couldn't see a bloody thing B :)

Don't know if anyone else does this, but I've started putting fat balls and scones in peanut feeders instead of fat ball feeders.

Last longer and the smaller birds get more of a chance as the starlings get frustrated !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back