• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera trap delights (1 Viewer)

I am currently volunteering on a elephant project in Makgadikgadi Pans National Park in Botswana. I have been putting my camera trap out in the area and here's a video of some of the footage I've collected.

Camera trap footage

I've been persevering with baited camera trapping since April with limited success, but have finally been getting better results in the last month or so. Some useful advice from Nick Littlewood seems to have helped - placing the camera closer to the bait (1-3 metres) and at a lower level relative to the bait. Here are a few recent pics from local forests.

Attachments

• Fox.JPG
    Fox.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Squirrel.jpg.JPG
    Squirrel.jpg.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Roebuck.JPG
    Roebuck.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 128
  • Badger2.JPG
    Badger2.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 106
  • PM2.JPG
    PM2.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 132
Wow they're some great pictures Capercaillie71. It's a great idea baiting slightly higher than the camera as the target is right in the centre of the picture.

I must admit it's much easier with the elepants here. I recently had the breeding herd of elephants on my camera which was nice as they are very cautious in this area. Hope you like the footage.

African Elephant breeding herd

I've been persevering with baited camera trapping since April with limited success, but have finally been getting better results in the last month or so. Some useful advice from Nick Littlewood seems to have helped - placing the camera closer to the bait (1-3 metres) and at a lower level relative to the bait. Here are a few recent pics from local forests.

Very nice to have those targets nearby

Nice captures

Mark

Beech Marten

Beech Marten....Martes foina ssp bunites

I recently purchased a Maginon from Aldi. I did not want anything expensive as there are not that many mammals here in Crete. All the same at half the price of many camera's I have found it a good one. I wish that I had bought one at Aldi in Germany when I first saw them as it was half the price of the same camera in UK !!!

The best species are endemic subspecies of Badger, Beech Marten, Hedgehog, Brown Hare and European Rabbit. Some rats and mice and now believed to be extinct , the Cretan Wildcat. Anything large is Sheep and Goat !

After a few nights of hare, and a few early morning birds, on the third night managed to get one of the Beech Marten. Really pleased with one so soon.

ColD

Attachments

• 1beech marten martes foinaIMAG0003.jpg
    1beech marten martes foinaIMAG0003.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 108
Software/camera trap footage upload

Hi all,

I'm interested to know what software you use for uploading moving footage from memory card.

Thanks

Dean:t:

Just a heads up for those with an Aldi close-by. I noticed today that they had some camera traps available for £70. They look exactly like the Little Acorn Cameras that I use and seem to have the same spec, might be worth investigating for those that are looking to purchase as the Acorns are more than twice this price.

Pimp My Camera Trap

With fieldwork currently underway for a NE Scotland Mammal Atlas, we've been experimenting a bit to see if we can use camera traps to get distribution records of small mammals by less invasive means than Longworth trapping. We sometimes see rodents on cameras set conventionally but often not identifiable with certainty. So, following things read elsewhere, we tried attaching a lens from a cheap pair of reading glasses over the camera lens (to reduce focal distance) and taping over the flash (to reduce "whiteout" images). Finally we taped the camera to a length of old drainpipe, placed it in long grass or under a fallen tree trunk and sprinkled a little bird seed in the pipe.

Have tried this the last three nights, different location each time, and on each occasion the set-up has been instantly discovered by Wood Mice. No voles yet (and I imagine there might also be potential to attract shrews, Stoats or Weasels) but seems at least like a easy way to get new tetrad records for the mice.

Not the clearest of the videos obtained but this one shows just how successful the approach is.

Images of the pimped camera trap below

Attachments

• pimped cam 1.jpg
    pimped cam 1.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 167
  • pimped cam 2.jpg
    pimped cam 2.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 198
  • pimped cam 3.jpg
    pimped cam 3.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Very Nice! What cam are you using?

Its actually a pretty cheap one, its a Bushnell 5mp from walmart.

Also, just a heads up to anyone who might not be aware there is some new tech out on some of the cams where they will just take a picture every 5, 15, etc minutes throughout the day and play it like a movie. With this you can overlook a whole valley or large area because you do not need an animal real close to set off the camera. Pretty cool for the right situation. I think some manufacturers are calling it just Time Lapse.

Bank Vole video

We're having good success with a "pimped" camera trap for getting records of small mammals. There is a Mammal Atlas project underway in NE Scotland so its proving a good way of getting records of Bank and Field Vole and Wood Mouse in particular but also Common and Pygmy Shrew and Weasel. Here's a Bank Vole video as an example: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=543729342409934&set=vb.465483193567883&type=2&theater

Cheers,
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back