• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camping Holiday in Wales (1 Viewer)

ArbroathBirder

We fancy organising a camping holiday in Wales in July and would like some recommendations about what area of the country to go to.

Obviously the priority for myself would be the wildlife so somewhere with a good mix of reserves nearby would be ideal. But also somewhere with some castles/historical interest and some generally touristy attractions to suit the rest of the family.

Does anyone have any ideas? We've never been to Wales before so are openminded!

Oh my! You're a bit spoilt for choice in Wales LOL. I'd plump for the Abergavenny ares ('cos I know it). You've the Brecon Beacons National Park there, not far from the Newport Wetlands, Llangorse Lake and the Forest of Dean. There's loads of castles and other interesting places like the coal and iron museum.

D

Agreed with Delia that Abergavenny is great. There's also some very decent restaurants in that area. I'd also be tempted by Snowdonia. South Stack is easily accessible along with Ynys Hir reserve amongst others. Portmeirion is worth a visit with the family along with the train to the top of Snowdon itself.

Rhayader is also a popular area with the Elan Valley on the doorstep and Cors Caron a fairly easy drive as well. Incidentally, if ever I get a day to myself, I tend to do a circular route from Neath, past Llyn Brianne to Tregaron. Stop at Cors Caron and then back down via the Elan Valley and Builth Wells. It really is a beautiful area.

Have a great trip,

Rich

Thanks for the replies, really have to do a lot more research as we are totally unfamiliar with Wales.

From a birding perspective would really like to get Pied Flycatcher and a good variety of warblers but also really interested in Chough.

You should get Pied flys and other nice warblers in the Abergavenny area; a couple of sites in Opus might help Craig Y Cilau NNR and Silent Valley should give you a start.

A couple of hours drive will get you to Marloes where you should see Chough anywhere on that headland. There's actually a rather pleasant camp site at a farm there if you wanted to stay a couple of days to visit Skomer.

D

Ty Canol farm is a campsite I have used many times at Newport Pembrokeshire.
You have the coastal path,the Nyfer Estuary on the campsite bounderies.
The owner is one of the most friendly and helpful individuals I have had the pleasure to meet.
Ramsey Island is great for Choughs,Boat from St Justinians,tickets from St Davids.
there is also a resident herd of Red Deer on the Island.
See the Skomer thread for other ideas
Beddgelert for Snowdonia is where I will be at Easter, another Great place to visit

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back