Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best bird guides by region...Asia

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 20th August 2013, 17:31   #26
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen S. Moore View Post
Is this the field guide for Hong Kong, or is there a more specific book for there or, at least, southern China?
There is a specific FG for Hong Kong: The Birds of Hong Kong and South China, by Clive Viney, Karen Phillipps and Lam Chiu Ying. I have the 8th edition of 2005, but would think that there might be a new one. Though that 8th ed. had been fully revised, so maybe just a reprint in the meantime?
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th August 2013, 16:30   #27
Allen

Best guide for China (Beijing )

Can anyone advise on the best field guide to take on a trip to Beijing / beidahe area of china?

"Old birders don't die, they just stop twitching"
Old Friday 30th August 2013, 01:17   #28
Allen

Just bumping this up in case anyone can help

Thanks

"Old birders don't die, they just stop twitching"
Old Friday 30th August 2013, 20:57   #29
DMW

Although I don't own it, I suspect the Helm Field Guide to the Birds of North East Asia by Mark Brazil would be the best option. I have the Field Guide to the Birds of China by John MacKinnon, which covers the whole of China but is not, in my view, up to the standard expected of a modern field guide.
Old Friday 30th August 2013, 21:55   #30
Gretchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
Although I don't own it, I suspect the Helm Field Guide to the Birds of North East Asia by Mark Brazil would be the best option. I have the Field Guide to the Birds of China by John MacKinnon, which covers the whole of China but is not, in my view, up to the standard expected of a modern field guide.
I think this is the general consensus of the birders in the China subforum. If you are in west China, the Brazil book won't do, but in the east it is preferred. The pictures in MacKinnon are quite uneven, and the range maps were compiled when there was less info on birds in China. Still, someone might prefer particular items on the layout or info provided in MacK. It would be safe to go with Brazil, but you might look over MacK to be sure you don't prefer it.

PS On checking, I see the Brazil title is "Birds of East Asia" (though it is clearly not southeast Asia, the title does not mention "north").

Last edited by Gretchen : Friday 30th August 2013 at 21:58. Reason: add PS
Old Saturday 31st August 2013, 11:57   #31
DMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
PS On checking, I see the Brazil title is "Birds of East Asia" (though it is clearly not southeast Asia, the title does not mention "north").
You're quite right. Thanks for picking up the error, which might have caused confusion.
Old Sunday 8th September 2013, 15:33   #32
Allen S. Moore

The Birds of Hong Kong and South China, by Clive Viney, Karen Phillipps and Lam Chiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
There is a specific FG for Hong Kong: The Birds of Hong Kong and South China, by Clive Viney, Karen Phillipps and Lam Chiu Ying. I have the 8th edition of 2005, but would think that there might be a new one. Though that 8th ed. had been fully revised, so maybe just a reprint in the meantime?
I have now bought the 2005 edition of this book from NHBS. It looks good, including sections on good areas for birds in HK. I am particularly impressed with the symbols showing the relative abundance of the species in HK, as well as mentions in the text as to the months some of them occur there.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd November 2013, 20:23   #33
pietrod
Dr.

Hi guys,

What about Japan? Any suggestion?
I am quite confuse because there are quite many choices out there.

Thanks

Pietro
Old Sunday 24th November 2013, 09:22   #34
stonechat1
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrod View Post
Hi guys,
What about Japan? Any suggestion?
I am quite confuse because there are quite many choices out there.

Thanks, Pietro
"Birds of East Asia" is the way to go, IMO.
http://www.bookdepository.com/Birds-.../9780691139265
Old Monday 25th November 2013, 12:51   #35
pietrod
Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonechat1 View Post
"Birds of East Asia" is the way to go, IMO.
http://www.bookdepository.com/Birds-.../9780691139265
Reading verious reviews it seems there is no doubt! That is the best.
Thank you.

Pietro
Old Friday 20th December 2013, 10:10   #36
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonBirder View Post
What about a guide for the country of Georgia. I assume the birds of Central Asia (when it is published) will be a good choice, .....?
Nobody commented on this so far. Georgia is not included in the Central Asia FG. The book's range is delimited by the Caspian Sea in the west. Further countries outside the range of the book are (clockwise) Russia, China, Pakistan (as the only -stan country not included), Iran.

But as Edward had mentioned in post #14, Georgia is still within the range of the "Collins".
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Friday 20th December 2013 at 10:16.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 23rd December 2013, 00:52   #37
Leon Vlieger
Forum Member

Only thing I can recommend for the moment, though 8 years old now and more a site guide than a proper field guide, is "A Birdwatching Guide to Georgia: With Information on Other Wildlife"

http://www.nhbs.com/title.php?bkfno=151792.html
Old Monday 23rd December 2013, 01:23   #38
DeaneRenata

I have read a few bird guides, and have bought -- but they were all field guides.
Old Thursday 13th February 2014, 17:52   #39
Papuan birder
- Lost in the Pacific -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papuan birder View Post
That is a though one, as I have used both the Myers and Phillips (second edition) Guides in the field and found them both to be most excellent. Personally I much prefer the plates and distribution maps used in Myers, and I find the species accounts to be much more detailed. This guide also includes the Natuna Islands off NW Borneo.

On the other hand the introduction chapter in Phillips is much more detailed, and make for interesting reading. There is also a very useful index and at the end there is excellent coverage to the best and most important birding sites on Borneo. The taxonomy used in the Phillips Guide is more up-to-date as well (52 endemic species recognized including that yet undescribed flowerpecker vs. 50 in Myers).
Apparently the third edition of Phillipps' Field Guide to the Birds of Borneo has just been published. This book was first published in 2009 so aim failing to see the need for another "revised" edition, especially when there is no apparent changes from the second edition published in 2011.

http://www.nhbs.com/phillipps_field_...no_211170.html

They recognize 669 species in both the second and third editions, meanwhile the number of recognized endemics have decreased from 52 to 51. Seems to me the publisher is trying to cash in much as possible on this book.
Old Friday 4th April 2014, 18:25   #40
Mike R. K.

Birds of East Asia, by Mark Brazil, second edition?

Does anyone know if they'll be a second printing of Mark Brazil's guide to Birds of East Asia? I was wondering because it's been since 2009 that the guide first came out.

I know there are some corrections (I think he has a list somewhere on the web) of some range maps and a few new species that always occur and a small number of errata.

I was considering buying this guide and didn't know if I should wait on a second printing or not.

Thanks in advance
Old Thursday 1st May 2014, 17:35   #41
Arbu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike R. K. View Post
Does anyone know if they'll be a second printing of Mark Brazil's guide to Birds of East Asia? I was wondering because it's been since 2009 that the guide first came out.

I know there are some corrections (I think he has a list somewhere on the web) of some range maps and a few new species that always occur and a small number of errata.

I was considering buying this guide and didn't know if I should wait on a second printing or not.

Thanks in advance
Also, is the Princeton version of this guide essentially the same as the (dearer) Helm one?
And I don't know if anyone can tell me how much these books weigh? I'll be hiking in Kamchatka and need to keep the weight down. If it's too much I might stick with my Wild Bird Society of Japan guide for Japan which seems to cover virtually everything I might see.

Last edited by Arbu : Thursday 1st May 2014 at 18:05.
Old Thursday 1st May 2014, 21:38   #42
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbu View Post
Also, is the Princeton version of this guide essentially the same as the (dearer) Helm one?
And I don't know if anyone can tell me how much these books weigh? I'll be hiking in Kamchatka and need to keep the weight down. If it's too much I might stick with my Wild Bird Society of Japan guide for Japan which seems to cover virtually everything I might see.
My Princeton version weighs 955 grams. The two editions are likely the same, except for the cover.
!

Old Thursday 1st May 2014, 21:49   #43
Arbu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
My Princeton version weighs 955 grams. The two editions are likely the same, except for the cover.
Many thanks. I'm already looking at carrying a 30kg rucksack on this trip, so an extra kilo will be too much, but maybe I'll buy it anyway and refer to it before and after the trip.
Old Tuesday 10th June 2014, 17:48   #44
nikothomsen

I'm going backpacking to india and southeast asia later this year. I noticed that there has been recommendations for east of these areas separately (each over 500p). I figured both books may be a little too much to carry, so if i compromise with quality, is there any field guide that covers both regions?
Old Tuesday 10th June 2014, 20:27   #45
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikothomsen View Post
is there any field guide that covers both regions?
Don't think there is, for sure not of decent quality. I wouldn't compromise (at least if birding makes a good share of your trip) and rather buy one in the region and send the other one back (or give to a local birder/guide). For SE-Asia, you can go for the condensed 2005 version of the Robson
Old Tuesday 28th October 2014, 04:22   #46
BabblerVille

New Taiwan Field Guide

The new Taiwan Field Guide (painted, Chinese language) has just been published. My first impressions (overwhelmingly positive) are on the blog:

http://birdingtaiwan.blogspot.tw/201...eld-guide.html

I look forward to other reviews, but expect this to become the default guide.
Old Saturday 3rd January 2015, 11:43   #47
RayMurray

Birds of SE ASia

I have heard somewhere, some months ago, that there was a new edition of Robson's Field Guide to Bords of SE ASia due that would have many of the latest taxonomic revisions.
As I'm off to Vietnam/Cambodia next month - I'm interested if anyone has any word if it is indeed immenent..... or just wind !

Ray Murray
Old Saturday 3rd January 2015, 11:51   #48
Papuan birder
- Lost in the Pacific -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayMurray View Post
I have heard somewhere, some months ago, that there was a new edition of Robson's Field Guide to Bords of SE ASia due that would have many of the latest taxonomic revisions.
As I'm off to Vietnam/Cambodia next month - I'm interested if anyone has any word if it is indeed immenent..... or just wind !

Ray Murray
It looks like it's just a reissue.

http://www.nhbs.com/title/202208/bir...outh-east-asia
Old Saturday 3rd January 2015, 12:10   #49
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayMurray View Post

Ray Murray
The second edition of the full version (2008) has the most up to date taxonomy. I have not heard of any update in the works. The compact field guide version (2005), which I personally prefer for field use, is not as current, but handier and lighter. Only the field guide version has main text opposite the plates.

Last edited by Jim M. : Saturday 3rd January 2015 at 12:25.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 3rd January 2015, 12:21   #50
RayMurray

My thanks for the link - I see however from the page length that it is the 'larger' version - I recall this was not especially 'field-friendly' and remember in the early 2000s swapping the old large version of the book for the abbreviated version of half as many pages and 2/3rds the dimensions - just plates and facing pages and the smaller format that meant you were not lugging around 2km of book.
As I've got the most recent taxonomy on computer I might just have to cope with the old 2005 version plus advice from the bird guides we encounter ! A pity !

My thanks again for your help.

Ray
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: