• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies in VietNam, December 2015 (1 Viewer)

glennmanc

Can anyone ID the attached photos?

Attachments

• AA-unknown-CamLy1.jpg
    AA-unknown-CamLy1.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 24
  • DNS-3.jpg
    DNS-3.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 14
  • HTL2.jpg
    HTL2.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 28
  • HTL4.jpg
    HTL4.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 11
  • HTL1-small.jpg
    HTL1-small.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 16
Thank you so much - that is incredibly helpful.

Heliophorus mogoka seems to be out-of-range in VietNam - do you think it could be Heliophorus delacouri? (http://boydung.blog.163.com/blog/static/12025492620150685313317/)
Or could it be Heliophorus Ila? (I have to admit they all look the same to me!)

For No.2, Thaumantis diores splendens seems to be the only option, but all the images I've found have only one plain white spot, instead of 2. Is this any cause for concern?

Are you still thinking about the last 3 photos?

Last edited:
Re Heliophorus,
the lack of literature means that the butterflies of Thailand is the main resource. There is great overlap in most ranges, delacouri is a good call.

Thaumantis, unless there is more than one race in Vietnam, a big country so very possible, it will be something else but I reckon it's one of this species races.

I am pondering the others still.

Andy

Dr Yutaka (see last post) has kindly suggested IDs for the last 3.

1: Melanitis sp. (Melanitis leda or Melanitis zitenius)
2 : Rohana sp. (Rohana parisatis or Rohana tonkiniana)
3 : Abisara burnii timaeus (Fruhstorfer,[1904])

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back