• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Targets for 2019 (1 Viewer)

Forgot to mention that we had a red squirrel on Sunday. Daniel had his first lifer of the year whilst not birding yesterday! Last week whilst driving home I saw a woodcock fly in front of the car - which rather annoyed Daniel. On Sunday we had an abortive attempt to boot one out of a neighbour's copse. However yesterday whilst out with the school running club he happened to see one come out of some bushes and land on the adjacent golf course!

Rob

January 19th

Busy day today, but managed to get down to Parkgate for dusk where we enjoyed a hunting Short-eared Owl and a distant male Hen Harrier heading to roost. No sign of Bittern though. Another time.

January 20th

With a bit more time to play with, today we went in search of Owls with longer ears, and found the Groby Mere Leos with ease, in spite of being the only birders on site. Two were sitting out nice and obvious, and there seemed to be more deeper in (you can just about make out bits on the photos), but it was hard to tell how many. These are the first we've managed to catch up with since the BMW one three years ago, so were well worth the trip, including the very muddy, in some places rather steep, foot path, of a type that can be perilous to those with little legs. Quite surprised none of us slipped over, as we all have form.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9944.JPG
    IMG_9944.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9925.JPG
    IMG_9925.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 88
I would love to see a White's Thrush or Siberian Thrush if they make it to British shores in autumn, plus Tawny Pipit, Pechora Pipit, Trumpeter Finch, Lesser Kestrel which I still flippin need in the UK./QUOTE]
I think your chances of either of the thrushes and the Pechora would entail a trip to Shetland. White's and the Pechora are just about annual in recent years, Fair Isle has had consecutive autumns with a White's and has had four autumns since 2013 having an individual on there. Always possible are these three somewhere on the east coast but likely to be a tall order but anything is possible.

A couple of weekend outings with Daniel. On Saturday we went to Kingsbarns and had nice views of a hunting short-eared owl with a corn bunting best of the rest.
On Sunday we kicked off with dipper in St Andrews (with bonus red squirrel). Near Craigrothie we came upon a spectacular finch flock in an area of set aside containing up to 300 bramblings! Lesser black-back at Leven was new for the year as was the adult Mediterranean gull wandering around on the grass at Buckhaven. Next it was on to my WeBS count at Ruddons Point. Rather quiet but the first time I have had jack snipe but not common there - presumably a result of unusually dry conditions.

Rob

January 28th

A quick post school foray to Parkgate to try for Barn Owl & Bittern proved successful. We stationed ourselves at the south end of the town to be able to check for Bittern flying in to roost in Little Neston reedbed to our south, and got distant views of one at around 16:50 doing just that. We could also scope the action taking place off Old Baths Car Park off to our north, and could see at least three (possibly four) Short-eared Owls (including one dogfighting with a ringtail Hen Harrier) as well as a single Barn Owl. The views on offer to those gathered at Old Baths must have been spectacular. Stonechat, Marsh Harrier & Great White Egret also made appearances.

Nice. Rather more successful than our targeted outing yesterday in search of twite. No sign in biting wind but we did add peregrine to the year list. Also got purple sandpiper for Daniel's year list plus enjoyed the amazing spectacle of the scoter flock in St Andrews Bay.

Rob

February 3rd

A bit late on writing up, but it was an unremarkable day out really. Not without some nice birds though, kicking off with a Hawfinch in the gloomy dawn at Llanrwst; nice to get this species at a new location for me.

Best of the rest was good views of Brent Geese at Inland Sea and a couple of Hoodies at Holyhead Macdonalds (which I hadn’t forewarned the boys about and were met with much excitement). Other than that just bog standard yearlist fare up and down the North Wales coast, missing out on Slavs in the Penrhos area and getting to the Bangor Red-necked when it was just too far out to clinch.

Then a post school foray on Monday over to World’s End which yielded no Grouse of either species but gave nice photo ops for Beluga going over!

Attachments

• IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 47
Nice to see familiar birds (Hoodie). :t:

What is it on that other gooses beak? Line?

The Hoodies, I'm pretty sure (although I've not read anything to support this) come to Anglesey from over the Irish Sea, rather than down from western Scotland. The day before we saw these two, thirty five were seen at South Stack, heading out to sea, presumably back to Ireland.

It's algae dribbling from the Goose's beak, they were troughing away on it (see attached).

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 20
February 17th

I’ve been kind of putting this one off, given our ill fortune trying to all get views of the Kingsbury Dusky, but today I bit the bullet. Given its wayward habits and high dip potential I was mighty relieved when, after barely any wait at all, the Leigh Blyth’s Reed Warbler gave itself up, foraging low in its favoured bramble bank, calling occasionally. Over a forty minute period it showed three times and we all obtained decent views, although it never sat still enough for thorough scrutiny (or photos, evidence attached!)

Our next target was Taiga Bean Goose, one of which seemed to have been reasonably faithful to a Pink-foot flock at Eagland Hill. Unfortunately, on arrival, there was no sign of any Geese, and quite a few people were out on the fields (not birders I don’t think, farmers maybe, or shooters). I wasn’t really up for spending several hours seeking out Goose flocks to scan through, so given the absence of the Eagland Hill flock we decided to go and look for other stuff.

First off, Bewick’s Swans, with a couple of small parties recently reported nearby off Moss Lane near Upper Thurnham. It seemed that the two small parties reported hand banded together, as we found a herd of ten north of the road, with a few slightly larger herds of Whoopers dotted about too. We stopped here to nose-bag for a bit, and in between sausage rolls I glanced up to see a Hare sitting in the middle of the road! Nice bonus!

Various options of what to go for next, but the boys’ choice was Waxwing, two of which had been hanging around Scotforth, a southern extension of Lancaster. Off we go then, quickly located Lentworth Drive and started scanning tree tops. In trees opposite number 30 was the suggested venue, but no joy here, so I suggested the boys let off steam in a nearby playground, and while they hit the climbing frames I patrolled the road looking for Waxwings. After half an hour with no sign we decided to head off, so it was back to the car and off we go. A few hundred yards up the road I caught sight of a familiar silhouette out of the corner of my eye, hit the brakes, and there, in a small berry tree, were the two Waxwings. I checked the house number so I could report it correctly, and it was number 30! Hang on, thinks I, that was way back down the road wasn’t it? No, turns out Lentworth Drive segues seamlessly into Claughton Drive half way down; I’d been staking out the wrong number 30! Still, no harm no foul, Waxwings in the bag, off we go again.

One last stop on the way home. Tempted by reports of up to 40 Water Pipits at Warton Bank we swung by that way, but drew a blank. Someone on site reckoned they only really turn up back end of the day, pre roost sort of thing, which seems reasonable given the high numbers involved. We ended up settling for Great White Egret & a couple of ringtail Hen Harriers out on the saltmarsh and a year tick Cattle Egret showing well in amongst a load of Littles in a cow field on our way out. Today it felt like, after a couple of false starts, we properly started the year.

Attachments

• IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    431.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 41
In theory the 16 “easiest” birds to target are -

Taiga Bean Goose
Cory’s Shearwater
Leach’s Petrel
Montagu’s Harrier
Rough-legged Buzzard
Common Quail
Dotterel
Pectoral Sandpiper
Grey Phalarope
Pomarine Skua
Little Auk
Yellow-browed Warbler
Red-breasted Flycatcher
Red-backed Shrike
Richard’s Pipit
Lapland Bunting

With Blyth's Reed Warbler coming in as first tick of the year I can lose one from the original 17 required to get over the line. I have chosen White-winged Black Tern. With half term on its way hopefully we can move things on a bit further.

Boys' half term just coming to an end without all that much to show for it. On Friday we all headed to Perthshire with the hawfinches at Scone giving themselves up readily (20-30 seen) along with 2 nuthatches. We then headed into the hills where we only managed to add red grouse and red kite to the year list. Despite good conditions no black grouse or scarcer raptors.
Today Daniel came with me on my WeBS count. We stopped off at various set aside fields around St Monans where the undoubted highlight was a flock of 103 corn buntings! The wind picked up during the WeBS count but the wintering whimbrel was a highlight along with the long staying water pipit.
Opportunities look limited for the next couple of weekends.

Rob

February 25th

Half term is finally here, but with commitments this afternoon and no targets within local striking distance I decided that our best use of the morning would be an attempt on the Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers at Moore. We were not disappointed, when after a couple of brief views we finally got to watch a pair in full pursuit, spiralling round the trees at break neck pace, yelling away, between bouts of fluttering display flight, I’ve never been treated to such a comprehensive performance from this species, it really was outstanding. So quick when they were on the go that I could barely follow them in my bins, let alone catch them in the camera. After a while an extra male joined the party and they moved away into the woods. After staying quiet for a bit one started drumming, but try as we might we couldn’t locate it, and when it finally went quiet we headed off to the feeding station to look for Willow Tit.

No Willows, but a brief visit from a Marsh was nice, then it was back for second helpings of the Woodpeckers, eventually getting visual lock on a drumming bird that I managed to get a couple of record shots of.

Later in the week should have a couple of full days to play with. Just hope that there’ll be something to target within striking distance (Shetland is a bit far I’m afraid)!

Attachments

• IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1648.JPG
    IMG_1648.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 45
Nice lesser spots. I Also spent a big part of Sunday out looking for them in and around Sherwood and woolaton park but to no avail. Did get a nice Great Grey Shrike at Clumber though.

They are so much trickier to see these days. It is almost with some disbelief that I think back on the days I used to regularly encounter them while out walking my parents'dog in their village, or in the grounds at work near Chester. Such a shame.

Currently out on a trip, fast food tea followed by night in a Travelodge. Two ticks down already, potentially another tomorrow. Write up in due course. B :)

February 27th: part I

A decidedly contradictory day today, thanks to the glorious weather. The roads of North Norfolk have acquired something of a familiarity over the years, and driving them today in bright sunshine, cloudless sky and above all warmth, it felt like we should be on the trail of Montagu’s Harriers, Kentish Plovers, Turtle Doves and the like. As it was the day’s avian fare was flavoured by an altogether different season. It started with Arctic & Mealy Redpolls at Sculthorpe Moore, visiting the feeders and hanging around to give excellent views, although like a tool I spent so much time snapping the Arctic that I didn’t get any Mealy pics! On up to Holkham next, where we were greeted by a Red Kite low over Lady Anne’s Drive and a couple of Egyptian Geese, both year ticks, as well as a Muntjac going about its business. We headed out towards the saltmarsh, a couple of Grey Partridge clattering off as we passed, and before long we were heading off towards the roped off area recently favoured by Shorelarks and by now I was seriously regretting wearing a coat, I was roasting!

Attachments

• IMG_1965.JPG
    IMG_1965.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2024.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2265.JPG
    IMG_2265.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 52
February 27th: part II

We scanned the saltmarsh as we went, picking out mostly Meadow Pipits, but also a rather littoralis looking Rock Pipit, before we fetched up just shy of the roped off area where we found a small gathering of birders admiring, and considerably outnumbered by, the Shorelarks. Eighteen Larks in total, they shuffled their way past, just a few yards off (arriving birders, us included, were consistently scanning too far away in initial attempts to get on the birds). They were (to quote Sam) stunning, and we spent quite a while watching them before heading back to the car and on to Titchwell.

We grabbed a quick lunch at the café at Titchwell before heading off on a nice birdy walk to the beach. The roll call of masses of Brent Geese, small flocks of Knot and Golden Plover, and smaller numbers of Grey Plover & Bar-tailed Godwits all serving to remind us that this was a winter birding trip, despite the hot sun beating down. The Med Gulls and Avocets seemed a much better fit to the prevailing conditions. By the time we reached the beach much of what was on the sea had drifted off into the haze, a scattering of Great Crested Grebes, Red-breasted Mergansers & Goldeneyes just about identifiable, but little else of note. Over time though, bit by bit, I managed to find some of the more interesting stuff; a trio of Slavonian Grebes; near them a Great Northern Diver; further on a couple of Red-throated Divers were accompanied by a single Black-throated. No Red-necked Grebes in range though. On the way back to the car a Water Rail gave itself up to good views in the ditch near the car park.

Off to Holme Dunes next, a site I associate with dipped megas (Ruppell’s Warbler & Yellow-breasted Bunting). Never seen anything here, and in keeping with this today the sea was ungenerous. We had some luck on the drive out though, with a perched up Short-eared Owl giving excellent drive-away views. On one of the attached photos you can see the differential dilation of the pupils, one small in sunshine, the other larger in the shade! A quick stop at the golf course gave us Stonechat in the scrub, Ringed Plover & Sanderling on the beach, and a small group of Eider out on the sea. Last year tick of the day were Fulmars at Hunstanton, before heading down to Kings Lynne where we were overnighting.

Attachments

• IMG_2515.JPG
    IMG_2515.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2522.JPG
    IMG_2522.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2587.JPG
    IMG_2587.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2898.JPG
    IMG_2898.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2952.JPG
    IMG_2952.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back