Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Paphos Sewage Works Cyprus Trip October 2018

Old Saturday 19th January 2019, 20:02   #1
DamianP

Paphos Sewage Works Cyprus Trip October 2018

The Paphos Sewage Works is a well known birding destination in Cyprus particularly for spur-winged plover. I almost didn't do the trip as I could not find any definite information about the site's location on the internet, and surprisingly, our holiday rep had no idea where it was! Hopefully this guide will help anyone else planning to pay it a visit.

The sewage Works was walkable from our hotel (Louis Phaethon) and the local buses which were excellent would get you fairly close if you were staying further away along the coast.

The Paphos Sewage Works is located here:

https://goo.gl/maps/xa8asAXqHY32

and I got to it from the hotel by walking along the coast and then cutting inland as shown on the attached route. (I've numbered where I saw all the interesting stuff but you might have to zoom in!)

There were some good birds along the way including a flock of around 12 stone curlew in a field just off the beach (1) which also contained a few crested larks. There were a few fan tailed warblers as I crossed the dry Ezousa riverbed (2) and a black redstart fly catching from some farm machinery (3).

I flushed a jack snipe from a small puddle along the side of the road (4) and saw a few red-throated pipit around the same puddle on the way back.

At the sewage works (5) the spur-winged plover were around the works themselves and also kept flying to and from the grass fields opposite the works. There were around 30 birds there. A sardininan warbler also put in an appearance and I thought it was a black-cap until I got back and looked through my photos! A few hummingbird hawk moths were feeding from the flowers too.

It's probably worth noting that you are not allowed access to the sewage works and have to stay on the road. Most of the pools are visible from the road though.

I believe that the Acheleia reedbed is close by this site but I could not find exactly where it is on the internet. If anyone knows where it is, please let me know as I may well be going back to this place again in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	685114  Click image for larger version

Name:	black redstart.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	685116  Click image for larger version

Name:	cl.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	685117  Click image for larger version

Name:	rtp.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	685118  Click image for larger version

Name:	stone curlew.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	941.3 KB
ID:	685119  

St Helens Bird Blog - http://sthelensbirds.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Saturday 19th January 2019, 20:07   #2
DamianP

More photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sw.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	802.5 KB
ID:	685120  Click image for larger version

Name:	swp1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	685121  Click image for larger version

Name:	swp2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	685122  Click image for larger version

Name:	swp3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	685123  Click image for larger version

Name:	zitting cisticola.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	685124  

St Helens Bird Blog - http://sthelensbirds.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Monday 2nd September 2019, 16:28   #3
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianP View Post
The Paphos Sewage Works is a well known birding destination in Cyprus particularly for spur-winged plover. I almost didn't do the trip as I could not find any definite information about the site's location on the internet, and surprisingly, our holiday rep had no idea where it was! Hopefully this guide will help anyone else planning to pay it a visit.

Thank you Damian, the info might come in handy if I really make it to Cyprus next year.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd September 2019, 08:22   #4
wolfbirder

The Achelia teedbed and river is just a few hundred metres along the coast towards Paphos. From memory it runs alongside the approach road you probably took to get to the sewage works.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: