Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

8 days in Thailand - May 2020

Old Saturday 27th July 2019, 08:49   #1
Mike Hunter

8 days in Thailand - May 2020

Hi

I'm in Thailand taking advantage of another stop-off, from 9th to 16th May (8 days' birding).

I'll be mainly targetting Eared Pitta at their key sites of Khao Yai and Kaeng Krachan National Parks. But there's loads of good birds:Blue Pitta, Coral-billed Ground-cuckoo, White-fronted Scops-owl, a good number of chickens, plus visiting Wat Phra Phuttabath for Limestone Wren-babbler.

This will be my fouth visit to Thailand (but first for 16 years) and I've always seen at least one major bird - this time I hope it's Eared Pitta.

Do please PM if anyone is interested in joining me or email mike.hunter AT education.gov.uk.

It would be remiss of me not to tap into the masses of expertise on BF and any tips from Birdforum members on this trip would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Mike
Old Saturday 27th July 2019, 23:12   #2
Pash44

Hi Mike

Highly recommend staying at Baan Maka in KK. They will have up to date details on what's possible at the various private hides. A friend of mine recently got Eared Pitta at one of them. Best book hides through Ian/Games (great guide) , owners of Baan Maka, in advance as some of them get block bookings. Cheers
Old Sunday 28th July 2019, 19:12   #3
Mike Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash44 View Post
Hi Mike

Highly recommend staying at Baan Maka in KK. They will have up to date details on what's possible at the various private hides. A friend of mine recently got Eared Pitta at one of them. Best book hides through Ian/Games (great guide) , owners of Baan Maka, in advance as some of them get block bookings. Cheers
Hi

Sounds good. I saw that report of Eared Pitta - jealously inducing!

I'll probably do KK first, assess chances of Eared Pitta, leaving time at KY as required. Two years ago trail 33 was really productive for Eared Pitta, but last year and this it seems sightings have been rather more sporadic.

Good advice - thanks. I'll almost certainly be staying at Baan Maka.

Mike
Old Sunday 28th July 2019, 21:25   #4
tony.saw

Another vote for Baan Maka. Games & Ian are both very good birders and extremely helpful
Tony
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: