Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tawny Owl call

Old Monday 26th August 2019, 17:36   #1
Britseye

Tawny Owl call

Was camping out in Devon two nights ago and at dusk a Tawny Owl landed in a pine directly above my tent and started calling softly for five minutes.

No word of a lie, it was going: too-woo too-wit
Old Monday 26th August 2019, 19:09   #2
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
Was camping out in Devon two nights ago and at dusk a Tawny Owl landed in a pine directly above my tent and started calling softly for five minutes.

No word of a lie, it was going: too-woo too-wit
Thats the dyslexic ssp Strix ocula I think
Old Tuesday 27th August 2019, 10:56   #3
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2019

V interesting britseye, especially for me https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...55&postcount=1

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th August 2019, 19:55   #4
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by davercox View Post
V interesting britseye, especially for me https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...55&postcount=1

Cheers, Dave. I can reverse that and say your link is very interesting to me. I didn't realise there was documented evidence of the too-wit too-woo call. Until two minutes ago, I was in the Shakespeare got it wrong camp. I once vaguely thought I imagined it somewhere out there in the dark of night, but laughed it off at the time. Did you see the thread about the Tawny Owl's Tengmalm's-like call, I think earlier this year? I heard that same call for only the second time a few months back. The local ones that I've lived with on and off for eleven years now were making some weird squeaky calls at midnight last night that I didn't actually match to Tawny Owl until they properly got going.

Always learning
Old Tuesday 27th August 2019, 20:04   #5
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Cheers, Dave. I can reverse that and say your link is very interesting to me. I didn't realise there was documented evidence of the too-wit too-woo call. Until two minutes ago, I was in the Shakespeare got it wrong camp. I once vaguely thought I imagined it somewhere out there in the dark of night, but laughed it off at the time. Did you see the thread about the Tawny Owl's Tengmalm's-like call, I think earlier this year? I heard that same call for only the second time a few months back. The local ones that I've lived with on and off for eleven years now were making some weird squeaky calls at midnight last night that I didn't actually match to Tawny Owl until they properly got going.

Always learning
Likewise here, the past couple of weeks Ive been hearing them doing odd calls, is it likely to be this years young starting to find their voices do you think?
Old Tuesday 27th August 2019, 20:20   #6
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Likewise here, the past couple of weeks Ive been hearing them doing odd calls, is it likely to be this years young starting to find their voices do you think?
It would make sense, but unlike the previous two summers when youngsters have been EXTREMELY vocal around the garden, I haven't heard any juvenile calls at all. So I'm not sure I can attribute last night's somewhat unearthly calls to this year's young? I've no doubt BWP will have some very detailed info - in fact, it does, I know, cos I've looked before - but I'm just skimming at the moment and don't have time to follow up.
Old Friday 6th September 2019, 21:33   #7
Britseye

Quote:
last night's somewhat unearthly calls
One of them has just been doing it again. This time I got a much clearer handle on the call and I would describe it as sounding like one of those grating Red-wattled Lapwing calls that make you want to cut off your ears! This type of sound for a minute and then morphing into a strangled ke-wick, followed by a soft hoot. I know this is the time of year the adults kick the young off the territory and tell them to go get a life, I've heard it happen many times. But this call is still relatively new to me. Not like the usual youngster calls at all.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: