• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Economical 8x25 (1 Viewer)

Upland

I’m looking for a lower priced 8x25. Main contenders now are the Kowa BD 8x25 and Zeiss Terra 8x25. Have heard good things about both but am leaning towards the Kowas because of the single hinge design. Would welcome any feedback on these two and any other suggestions in this price range only. Not in my budget to go up. Only interested in the 25 mm range. All set at the 32 mm level. Please don’t recommend any of those or more expensive models. Thanks.

I would not recommend the Terra. I like mine optically, but the double hinge design is crap, and both hinges are too loose. Many have had this problem and I suspect it is a inherent flaw in the design.

Upland, post 1,
Only a few months ago I have investigated a number of 8x25 binoculars and compared them with those made By Zeiss and Swarovski (both over 700 euros).
- The Bynolyt Voyager 8x26 WP costs 109 euros but has around 65% light transmission and a smaller FOV.
- A real competition with the Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars is the Bynolyt Seagull ED 8x25 HD, costs 300 euros, very convenient user comfort, very good optcal performance at around 93% light transmission almost equal to the Swarovski and Zeiss models.
A test report can be found (in Dutch, but tables and graphs are easy to read) on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor (with photographs of the binoculars).
Gijs van Ginkel

Minox has also different types of 8x25 binoculars at a fairly low price, but I do not know abouth their performances. I have shortly investigated one a bit and compared it with the the Bynolyt Seagull ED, but the Bynolyt is clearly better.
Gijs van Ginkel

I bought two of the Kowa BD 8x25 for my kids recently.
They impress me with a good build quality (feels like a solid metal housing), crisp optics, just the right size to handle nicely (not too small, compared to my Leica 8x20 dual hinge). I like the pouch too.
The only thing that jumped out at me is that they have a very fast focuser - takes less than a full turn from one end to the other. Haven't used them enough to know if this is something I could easily get used to.

Last edited:
Upland and All,

I like 8x25 including economical, mid range and alpha models, currently own and have tested @ 8 different marques in @ 12 different versions.
IF you get a good Terra and the hinges are not loose and do not become loose over time, it is very good especially for a double hinge but as James says there are many complaints in this regard.
The Vortex 8x28 (Dennis' suggestion) is nice but also note there are two models available, the Classic with a wider FOV and the new version with a reduced FOV but reportedly better optical performance in other areas. I have tested only the new model, again very nice single hinge design and very nicely accessorized in the box with case, rain guard and objective covers.
I agree with GVG, while Minox have truly outstanding construction for the price the optical performance lags a little behind the Terra and the Vortex. I would trust GVG's statement that the Bynolyt Seagull is excellent/better optically but haven't tried it myself.
Likewise, I have no experience with the Kowa 8x25 but the Kowa 8.5 and 10.5x44 Genesis are both excellent on the top end as is the YF 8x30 porro on the economical end so I presume the 8x25 would be a good value for the money as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I have the Kowa BD 8x25, and it's very nicely made (in Japan) and easy to look through. The specification is good - phase and dielectric coated prisms - and it should be a really nice binocular... but I struggle a bit with mine, in that I find it hard to get a critically sharp image. The focusing knob is very smooth, but it's also very fast, and I seem to spend more time overshooting the point of best focus, which is frustrating. I also think that they're just not super, super sharp. The Binolyt Seagull ED is a very nice bino - I've tried a pair, and they're certainly sharper than my Kowa 8x25s, but I couldn't get on with the design of the eyepieces - they didn't play so nice with my glasses - so I had to send them back. The Kowas seemed better made overall.

One 8x25 that has been a bit of a revelation to me is the Pentax UP 8x25 WP - a reverse-porro design that's waterproof, a little chunky, but reasonably light and quite rugged-feeling. Sharp as you like in the centre of the field of view, decent stray light control, and available for remarkably little money. These, and the Pentax Papilios have made me realise that the reverse-porro is a rather underrated design - and they've made me hanker after an alpha-style, compact, reverse-porro. That could be a real gem...

So far I have nothing but good to say about the Zeiss Terra ED 8X25. It's been surprising good optically. I've used them a good bit. If course they aren't my first choice but WAY better than I expected.

My first step to a more compact binocular was the now discontinued Vortex Viper 8X28. Problem with it is the hinges don't fold SO it's really not much more compact than the Monarch 7 8X30. So I took a stab at the Terra ED basically based on some reviews I read. I also wanted a binocular that was somewhat expendable. I take this binocular to the beach, around water, on vacation, out to eat, etc. It's made in Japan. Hinges are stiff with some friction which I like. Plenty of ER. Focus is a little stiff but hasn't been an issue. I realize this isn't a Swarovski Pocket.

Very pleased with this purchase!

BTW...first pic from left to right...is all binoculars at useable IPD...next pic is collapsed as possible...

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_10fd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_10fd.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 173
  • fullsizeoutput_1104.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1104.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 143
  • fullsizeoutput_8eb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8eb.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 157
I like the Zeiss Terra ….just make sure the hinges are snug.....optics are much better than their price would suggest.......

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve checked out the diamondbacks in the past and the eyecups were too short. Did a direct comparison to the Vipers and they were quite a bit shorter. All the larger size Vipers I’ve tried in the past have had annoying barrel reflections but I think the design on the compacts is different. Have ruled out the Terras because of the double hinges. I checked a pair out and don’t care for the design. Also considering a Maven 7x28 that only costs $200. Has anyone tried them?

Have also noticed that the Kowas have Schmidt Pechan SK15 prisms and are made in Japan which are both appealing to me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve checked out the diamondbacks in the past and the eyecups were too short. Did a direct comparison to the Vipers and they were quite a bit shorter. All the larger size Vipers I’ve tried in the past have had annoying barrel reflections but I think the design on the compacts is different. Have ruled out the Terras because of the double hinges. I checked a pair out and don’t care for the design. Also considering a Maven 7x28 that only costs $200. Has anyone tried them?

Yes. The Maven 7x28 is another nice compact bin for the price. Good single hinge and of course 4 mm EP in a compact. However The AFOV is not the best. Also on my sample at least, the focus wheel function is uneven and has some annoying stickiness which makes precise focusing a bit tricky but once you get it adjusted the view is really bright sharp and pleasing. Also on mine the eyecups are a bit rickety but this doesn't matter much to me as I normally use without my prescription glasses but with eyecups fully twisted down. Good ER with close fitting sunglasses.

Mike

Yes. The Maven 7x28 is another nice compact bin for the price. Good single hinge and of course 4 mm EP in a compact. However The AFOV is not the best. Also on my sample at least, the focus wheel function is uneven and has some annoying stickiness which makes precise focusing a bit tricky but once you get it adjusted the view is really bright sharp and pleasing. Also on mine the eyecups are a bit rickety but this doesn't matter much to me as I normally use without my prescription glasses but with eyecups fully twisted down. Good ER with close fitting sunglasses.

Mike

Thanks for the feedback. Going to give those a miss as build quality sounds questionable. Leaning towards the Kowas as they are made in Japan per Kowa and get good reviews.

After having my 8x25 Terra for a year, I am discovering that the concept of having a compact is more positive than the reality of having one.
The terra performs, the hard case protects, but both are awkward to use and less pleasing than larger optics.
Buying seemed like a good idea at the time but just did not satisfy .
My 8x25 s are now thrown into the suitcase to be used for a backup for trips or outings in case my favored binoculars are impaired or lost.

edj

Last edited:
After having my 8x25 Terra for a year, I am discovering that the concept of having a compact is more positive than the reality of having one.
The terra performs, the hard case protects, but both are awkward to use and less pleasing than larger optics.
My 8x25 s are now thrown into the suitcase to be used for a backup for trips or outings in case my favored binoculars are impaired or lost.

edj

I can see how you would reach those conclusions. I agree that the smaller bins are more fiddly to get the view dialed in. Observing with glasses, I don't get subtle tactile feedback about exactly where the eyepieces are relative to my eyes, in a critical fine tuning sense. However, once I'm committed to using them, I get faster at lining up the view. With the Victory pockets, I also find that I periodically move the diopter one click off when pulling them out of my shirt pocket, so if I find myself refocussing a lot, I make sure to check the diopter.

As a full-time binocular there may be better choices for most users than an 8x25.

That said, they work great in museums, where one can peruse close up details of brushwork on paintings without alarming security guards. They've also been on several 6 day packtrips for the long hikes with a pack on. I've found enough circumstances in my own life where they do a great job, in large part because of their size and weight.

In most situations, I'll generally default to a larger bin for the reasons you stated, no question.

-Bill

edj

I tend to agree with this for the most part. If one needs a binocular, get a BINOCULAR. That truly IS the best choice. My binocular choice HAS trickled downwards as far as size goes though. First it was 42mm, then smaller 42mm, then 32mm, and so on. I did finally get to where I wanted A binocular but a full-sized one just wouldn't have been feasible. My first step was the Vortex Viper 8X28. That one was FINE, it's just that it wasn't really THAT much smaller than the Monarch 7 8X30. In fact I USED the M7 8X30(and CL 8X30) for a while in this capacity. But still I wanted a binocular that was less conspicuous, maybe one that would fit in a shirt pocket, and be somewhat dispensable. So I set a budget of $300.00. I settled on a double hinged design for compactness. The Terra ED 8X25 SEEMED to be the most well-regarded so that's the way I went. To date it has surpassed all expectations.

Like Edwin said, I find that a bad 8x25 takes away the potential pleasure of watching through the thing.
That potential pleasure is always somewhere betwen 0-100% of the pleasure watching through a full size binocular.

So you want to have the advantage of something small and light, And I guess you don't want to give up viewing comfort? If that is the case, buy a really good 8x25, because if you buy a bad 8x25, you have something lightweight around your neck that you don't like to use. That's not what you are aiming for I guess.

So if this means you have to get a Swarovski or Zeiss victory, get it. If you really don't like them, you sell them for a minor price reduction compared to a new one and so you will only lose max. 100 dollar/euro on your initial price paid. If you buy one of 300 dollar and it's bad, how much you think it will sell after a year? I reckon you will loose as much or even more if you try to sell a mediocre binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back