Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.79 average.
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 13:44   #4076
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Nice one Owen. I managed my first Leach’s Petrel today thanks to Tate and Tom’s help.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 18:43   #4077
in vitrio

A lost-looking little auk at Roa Island, Cumbria, UK. It swam into a rocky area under a lifeboat station and then couldn't work out how to do a u-turn. Took a while to get back out.

I'm going to con everyone at work it was a penguin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48700418936_916d78c229_c.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	704256  
Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 19:29   #4078
Owene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
Nice one Owen. I managed my first Leach’s Petrel today thanks to Tate and Tom’s help.

Rich
The sightings list for strumble looked amazing. My last visit a few weeks ago had 4 scoter as the highlight. Think I would have had at least two lifers from your day.
Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 22:28   #4079
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in vitrio View Post
A lost-looking little auk at Roa Island, Cumbria, UK. It swam into a rocky area under a lifeboat station and then couldn't work out how to do a u-turn. Took a while to get back out.

I'm going to con everyone at work it was a penguin.
Sorry, but that one's a juvenile Razorbill - too large for Little Auk, and also lacks the latter's white streaks on the secondary coverts. Young Razorbills take several months for their bills to grow to the full adult size. Also Little Auks are still up in the Arctic, and will be for some time yet.
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 05:52   #4080
in vitrio

Thanks - I thought it was a bit weird, but if it is a young one that explains it. Looks nothing like its parents...

In which case, ringed plover, same day, but on Walney Island.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	48700589297_b5de75e645_c.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	704325  
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 19:37   #4081
bufflehead1

My last life bird is a Reddish Egret feeding in the channel @ Bolsa Chica conservancy Huntington California this past Labor Day weekend. What a sight!
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 21:15   #4082
Bananafishbones
Incoherently Rambling .....

Eastern Bonellis Warbler in Turkey

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 14th September 2019, 09:31   #4083
Swindon Addick
BF Supporter 2019

I got as far as last weekend without a single lifer, due largely to not spending enough time in interesting parts of the country. Things have been livened up with 3 lifer butterflies and completing the set of long-established UK Odonata.

Last weekend was MigFest, the excellent event organised by the BTO and Spurn Bird Observatory. I didn't see the sooty shearwater or the marsh warbler, and the white-rumped sandpiper was my second, but eventually a pomerine skua graced us with a fly-by so I finally have my first lifer of the year.

If any of our UK forumites want to have a go at seawatching but aren't confident, I strongly recommend this event - the seawatching sessions are accompanied by the regular migrant-counters from the Obs, who call out what they see as a matter of course and can give directions in terms of which offshore wind turbine to look at.

BF Supporter 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 16th September 2019, 21:15   #4084
hookem2010

I was able to squeeze in a very small amount of birding on a trip up to Colorado for a wedding. On the way back to CO Springs on the Ptarmigan Lake Trail along Cottonwood Pass, I was able to get ABA #'s...
379) American three-toed woodpecker
380) Canada Jay

It's not listed as a hotspot on EBird, but appears to be a reliable spot for this relatively uncommon woodpecker, based on other reports listing ptarmigan lake trail as the personal location. Creeping ever closer to 400...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old Monday 16th September 2019, 21:37   #4085
dwallace

Eastern Olivaceous Warbler at Farlington Marshes, Hampshire.

Dave W
Old Monday 16th September 2019, 22:23   #4086
Gaz Shilton

Long Billed Dowitcher, Fairburn Ings.
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 12:45   #4087
andyadcock

Olive-bellied Sunbird.

The last of the trip to Uganda / Rwanda which gave me 160 new birds from a total of almost 350 species seen in about ten days birding.
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 13:55   #4088
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Persian Wheatear at Meghri, Armenia last Wednesday, one of three lifers on our latest humanitarian/cultural/ birding and fig eating trip
Old Sunday 22nd September 2019, 09:35   #4089
Bananafishbones
Incoherently Rambling .....

weird weather this morning in East Cheshire, serious tropical downpour with thunder and lightening..... good for garden lifers.
Two Garden lifers this morning:

Little Egret flying over fairly low, presume this had been grounded in the weather somewhere nearby.

Spotted Flycatcher.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th September 2019, 15:45   #4090
raymie

Eastern Whip-Poor-Will. Appleton, WI on September 22 2019. Lifer #222.
Old Tuesday 24th September 2019, 18:51   #4091
Owene

Pectoral Sandpiper at Clifton Pits Worcestershire. Very nice scope views, quite strange to see a pair of transatlantic visitors with one constantly trying to chase and bully the other away from feeding.

My fifth American wader lifer of the year, good to finally get the most common one.
Old Saturday 28th September 2019, 23:32   #4092
Mysticete

Technically not a lifer (seen in native range), and not even countable yet, but seeing 3 separate Great Tits today at Kohler-Andrae State Park and later Sheyboygan Indian Mounds Park in Wisconsin was pretty neat. Introduced and expanding in the last 4 years, so we will see if and when they get added to the state checklist.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Sunday 29th September 2019, 09:45   #4093
Ian Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
Technically not a lifer (seen in native range), and not even countable yet, but seeing 3 separate Great Tits today at Kohler-Andrae State Park and later Sheyboygan Indian Mounds Park in Wisconsin was pretty neat. Introduced and expanding in the last 4 years, so we will see if and when they get added to the state checklist.
Why would anyone want to release Great Tits in North America, they will compete and probably out-compete with native tits/chickadees for food and nesting sites.

Releasing non native species without a licence is illegal herein the UK is it not so in the USA?

Ian
Old Sunday 29th September 2019, 09:49   #4094
Ian Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
Why would anyone want to release Great Tits in North America, they will compete and probably out-compete with native tits/chickadees for food and nesting sites.

Releasing non native species without a licence is illegal here in the UK is it not so in the USA?

Ian
Old Sunday 29th September 2019, 09:57   #4095
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lewis View Post

Releasing non native species without a licence is illegal here in the UK is it not so in the USA?

Ian
Yep - they're bold and aggressive towards Poecile species and other small hole-nesting species (e.g. Downy Woodpecker at high risk), will dominate them and evict them from nest sites, and are more efficient at using bird feeder resources. Serious trouble ahead if they're allowed to establish. This is a potentially very bad invasive species problem for the future; needs dealing with now, before there's too many.
Old Sunday 29th September 2019, 13:12   #4096
Mysticete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lewis View Post

Releasing non native species without a licence is illegal herein the UK is it not so in the USA?

Ian
A bird distributor in the Chicago area...a decade or so ago? went out of business and decided to just release all of his stock. That was illegal of course, but it happened. In the years following that, a lot of very odd European songbirds were seen now and then in the Midwest, including Chaffinch, Eurasian Siskin, Eurasian Jay, Blue Tit, etc. I even, with a bunch of other birders, found a Linnet at Tawas Point some years back.

Most of those birds do not seem to have established breeding populations, the exception being European Goldfinch (which can be found further south along the Great Lakes shoreline) and Great Tit
Old Sunday 29th September 2019, 13:16   #4097
Mysticete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Yep - they're bold and aggressive towards Poecile species and other small hole-nesting species (e.g. Downy Woodpecker at high risk), will dominate them and evict them from nest sites, and are more efficient at using bird feeder resources. Serious trouble ahead if they're allowed to establish. This is a potentially very bad invasive species problem for the future; needs dealing with now, before there's too many.
Probably impossible...removing a cute songbird in suburban areas is...difficult. Plus, the republican legislature has massacred the budget of the Department of Natural Resources, and they already have there hands full with much much worse invasives...
Old Sunday 29th September 2019, 17:39   #4098
Mark Burgess

UK life list
Little Bustard - Methley
Old Thursday 3rd October 2019, 20:51   #4099
in vitrio

Western rock nuthatch, hopping around the citadel of Mycenae. Handsome little thing, like all nuthatches.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	48831022637_5df2ba28cd_c.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	706612  
Old Monday 7th October 2019, 15:18   #4100
birdmeister

Western Sandpiper on the Avalon jetty in New Jersey.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: