• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Trinidad & Tabago (1 Viewer)

BarryE

MessageHi everyone! Has anybody visited Trinidad and Tabago? Can anybody recommend a bird book to cover the birds on these islands, preferably one with pictures? So far I've only found the one by Richard ffrench and have had mixed reviews of it.

AFAIK, the only other book of much use is Hilty's Venezuela book. Or perhaps its predecessor. Hilty's book is rather large, I cut the plates out for use in the field.

if anyone finds one them let me know!! Will someone produce a Hilty just for TnT before next September please ;)

welcome to the forum Barry.

We asked Bill Murphy and response came back
"N.A. field guide is needed for migrants only -- shorebirds, terns, gulls, warblers -- if you don't know them well. Hilty's is overkill but has Crane Hawk, which ffrench lacks. If weight's not a problem, take it. "

I have looked at most of the books relevant to T&T and my favorites in order of priority are:

1) Birds of T&T by R. ffrench - Well written but could do with a few more plates.
2) A Birdwatchers Guide to T&T - Not a bird ID book but the best guide I have seen to know where to go and bird in T&T and what to expect.
3) Birds of NA by K. Kaufman - Good for Shorebirds (Terns, Plovers, Sandpipers etc.)
4) Birds of Venezuela by S. Hilty (2nd Ed.) - This book stays at home but is an excellent reference for bird IDing. It covers probably everything that could be found in T&T. It's BULKY.

If you just wanted to buy 1 book for bird ID in the field, the ffrench would probably be the most practical.

rka

Last edited:
Trinidad & Tobago

BarryE said:
MessageHi everyone! Has anybody visited Trinidad and Tabago? Can anybody recommend a bird book to cover the birds on these islands, preferably one with pictures? So far I've only found the one by Richard ffrench and have had mixed reviews of it.

You might find my "Trinidad Birding" website interesting -- http://www.birderbill.us

-Bill Murphy, Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back