• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (1 Viewer)

Just a "heads up" to anyone visiting "The Ness" over the next week or so.There Is a large number of Travellers parked up In Walkers Park,by the Lighthouse.

Perhaps It may be best avoiding the Park Itself and If In the area,keeping optical equipment hidden,If In cars.

They were gone this morning, and the big concrete blocks put back in place, so it looks like that's them, till the next time...

Interesting day in the 'hood today - a caldrid sp and a small flock of black-tailed godwits flew through the fog past my office window on Wellington Road!

Nice!

over the last few days (well - since the last time I updated...)

More tree sparrows (inc a flock of 30 going over), a wigeon lingering in the harbour, a tystie at the foghorn, 19 canada geese on the 3rd, and on the 4th a reed warbler in Abbey road and a POCHARD (my first here) briefly in the harbour.

I did ask PWCers on twitter if anyone had had notable counts, but didn't get much response. Teamscotch noted a flock on the gramps, and another patcher in fife noted increased numbers. Also, there was a flock of 37 at Elie Ness (via trecktellen) that was noted as being exceptional on 2nd.

Can't find anything else on Birdtrack though.

As for origin - I wouldn't like to say. All I know is that having seen them about 4 times before this recent influx, these recent numbers are obviously unprecedented, and now they're all gone. The fact that others noted large numbers further south on the east coast suggests a continental origin might not be too far fetched.

A brisk walkabout this morning,produced a single Whimbrel at the Bay of Nigg and also 5 Herons taking advantage of the low tide.A Goldcrest on the South Bank and a Common Whitethroat on North Bank were welcome.A Kestrel was hunting the rough ground around the new pools and a single Dunlin was there also.

A pair of House Martins were still feeding young on Abbey Road and Swallows were still flying around the Foghorn and the Battery.

Hmm, it's a while since I've posted anything here and I guess a while since I've done much birding in Torry. I did go out last weekend but didn't see a lot.

So... today was a little bit more interesting, in still, misty weather. I had a fairly good look around the St Fittick's area but it was a rather quiet. A Common Snipe winged over and a couple of Coal Tits were heard. Six Teal and a Red-breasted Merganser were in Nigg Bay. Perhaps the most gratifying sight was a male Stonechat on the south bank.

The calm waters at sea revealed two Harbour Porpoises, along with large numbers of loafing seabirds. These included both an Arctic Skua and a Bonxie. I'm guessing there might be a few more rodents around than usual. At least two Kestrels were very active over the golf course and I then found a dead Field Vole on the north side. This was followed by the strange sight of a live Field Vole pottering about on the concrete path by the north shore. Odd. Migrants weren't all that much in evidence, barring three Wheatears, two Whitethroats and two Willow Warblers. It looks interesting over coming days though.

The most unexpected sighting came late on. I looked around from the north shore to see a large flock of waders heading northwards over the harbour mouth. These turned out to be Black-tailed Godwits - 21 of them in fact. I wonder if anyone's ever seen more at Girdle Ness.

So yeah, easterlies: I'm a fan. Especially in September.

A few bits were along the north shore. A Lesser Whitethroat was in amongst five Common Whitethroats and a Willow Warbler. Today's entry in our ongoing series of 'potential highest ever wader counts at Girdle Ness' was a group of six Common Sandpipers. The re-emergence of Stonechats has moved up to three - two males and a female. Five Knot flew south and five Purple Sandpipers were on Greyhope Bay.

It was good to see a bit of Bottlenose Dolphin action for the first time in a while. Two Harbour Porpoises were again seen a bit further out. Other stuff on the sea included four Red-throated Divers and a Bonxie. 17 Wigeon and 12 Teal were on the move. Then things went a bit Patch Mega when no less a bird than a Kingfisher appeared on the rocks below the Coo, where it proceeded to spend several minutes battering a small fish (a blenny perhaps?). A Girdle Ness tick for me.

I walked around the coast a bit further to view Nigg Bay and soon picked out a dusky looking small grebe on the water. On closer inspection this proved to be a moulting Slavonian Grebe - quite unexpected.

Migrants hadn't been too conspicuous but yesterday I noted a recently burnt patch of gorse on the south side, which I thought might be promising. On reaching there today a small bird immediately flew up. Bingo - a Red-breasted Flycatcher. It proceeded to show really nicely for quite some time. It's quite a bright, orange-buff looking one. In the same area a female Common Redstart and another Lesser Whitethroat were also about. The emergence of Yellowhammers has moved up to at least four.

There are lots of birds about at the moment, both on land and sea. There was a fairly substantial overhead movement of Meadow Pipits and Skylarks this morning and many of them were feeding up on the golf course. I also saw a Field Vole again, this time along the path in Greyhope Bay - what's going on with them?

Some illustrative material:
1&2. RBF. Such nice. Wow.
3. An actual Girdle Ness Kingfisher.
4. Impressive though both those are, by far the most unexpected find today was a vibration massage plate in the car park by the Battery. That really wasn't on my radar at all.

Attachments

• RB Fly_Girdle Ness_140914a.jpg
    RB Fly_Girdle Ness_140914a.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 81
  • RB Fly_Girdle Ness_140914b.jpg
    RB Fly_Girdle Ness_140914b.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Kingfisher_Girdle Ness_140914a.jpg
    Kingfisher_Girdle Ness_140914a.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Massage_Girdle Ness_140914a.jpg
    Massage_Girdle Ness_140914a.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 76
Impressive though both those are, by far the most unexpected find today was a vibration massage plate in the car park by the Battery. That really wasn't on my radar at all.

I'm so pleased to see your spotting skills are well intact Andrew:-O

What an amazing find.

I had a walk round "The Ness" this afternoon but It was quiet,compared to late.Perhaps I was too late In the day.One strange sighting,that may Interest Andrew was,while walking towards "The Coo" I noticed two people In bright orange clothing,which I presumed were Sea Anglers.

When I got to "The Coo" the orange clothing actually belonged to two members of Hare Krishna,which Is a new tick for me around there.

While we're on the subject of strange sightings round the Ness, caught this chap last week trekking round the golf course, that's what I call a handicap !

Jim.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 110
Some impressive sightings there gentlemen.

I had a quick look around this morning, although only had time for Abbey Road, the allotments and the north bank. I'm sure there were a fair few migrants about but in an hour I only managed a couple of Garden Warblers, a Blackcap, a Whitethroat and two Wheatears. A Knot was along the shore.

I notice RB Fly was reported again today, but don't know if it's thought to be the same one as on Sunday.

Up in the perma-fogged wilds of Tullos there were 2 Yellow-browed Warblers tonight. There's also been a bit of a chat build up lately with Stonechat, Whinchat & Redstart on the heath when I can see it. Annoyingly a monster warbler sat up on the railway fence by the coast road down to Nigg Bay as I cycled home...I thought it was a Barred but it disappeared into out of bounds cover and the light was going.

It certainly felt that there were plenty of migrants around yesterday. Only had about an hour (at lunchtime in the mist and drizzle) so headed up to the Battery. Poor views of a small brown warbler (skulking in a bush) on the way make me unsure of its identity. A Stonechat and numerous thrushes were about once I got there, and I had a couple of brief in-flight glimpses of what looked like a Redstart. Would like to have stayed longer...

Last edited:
It was interesting if unspectacular today. The best migrant was seen early on: a juvenile Yellow Wagtail on the golf course by the allotments. It was only on the deck for a short time before flying off again. Other migrants included two Garden Warblers, two Blackcaps, three Whitethroats, a Willow Warbler, three Goldcrests, four Wheatears, four Song Thrushes, five Chaffinches, a Siskin and 22 Pied Wagtails. There were also quite good numbers of Robins, Blackbirds and Meadow Pipits.

Four Common Sandpipers were still on the north shore. A few parties of Golden Plovers on the golf course eventually amalgamated into a group of 13. 30 or so Wigeon were resting on the sea. Two Harbour Porpoises were again offshore. A rather lovely juvenile Little Gull was roosting in Greyhope Bay amongst the Kittiwakes. Also there were quite good numbers of terns: 37 Common and one each of Arctic and Sandwich.

The fog finally lifted off the gramps today...revealing few birds! 'Chat Corner' is still going well with a loose flock of 2 Stonechats (m and f type), 1 Whinchat, 1 Wheatear, 1 Redstart (m) and a few robins.

We're into 'birders at Girdle Ness who are on their way to Shetland' season now. This meant there were quite a few people out there today and that also meant that loads of stuff was seen that I didn't see.

I only got out late in the afternoon. What I presume is yesterday's Yellow Wagtail was again around on the golf course by the allotments. It showed rather well this time. Warblers were a bit more conspicuous, mostly around Abbey Road and the allotments/north bank area. A Lesser Whitethroat was on Abbey Road and there were also three Chiffchaffs, two Willow Warblers, two Garden Warblers, a Whitethroat and three Goldcrests. I didn't see too much else except a Wheatear and a Siskin. There were again two Harbour Porpoises.

Everyone else has been seeing a Red-breasted Flycatcher around the allotments. I'd like to see it to check if it looks like the same bird I had on Sunday. Other people also reported Yellow-browed Warbler and Black Redstart and the Little Gull was apparently seen again today too.

Here's the Yellow Wag.

Attachments

• Yellow Wagtail_Girdle Ness_190914a.jpg
    Yellow Wagtail_Girdle Ness_190914a.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 96
Gripped by that Wag, Andrew. Obviously need to replace those nice horse paddocks at Doonies with a Golf Course!

I had a long boot round the gramps today in fine weather convinced that there must be a seam of Red-breasted Flys hiding somewhere. Alas reality was much more mundane. Chatfest 2014 on the Heath had diminished to a Redstart and a Stonechat plus a number of new in Robins and there was another Redstart at Doonies. There was a good movement of Reed Buntings through early on and I saw 6 Redwing arrive (my first of the autumn). There seems to have been an arrival of Chiffchaff (c.20) & Willow Warblers (c.5) and birds of both species were singing in sunny spots! Still a few Whitethroats about and 3 Blackcap were new.

A really nice feature of the autumn has been the number of Kestrels about, largely juvs, has anyone else noted this? There are up to 12 daily on the hill and I could see 6 in my bins at one time today. It seems there is a glut of voles on the hill as they are catching them continuously. I've seen a juv Sparrowhawk associating with them a number of times - it goes for the small birds the kestrels put up when they descend for prey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back