• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gill Osborne's 2009 List (1 Viewer)

Gill Osborne

Thursday, 1st January
Alnwick, Northumberland

Out at first light for a nice walk along to Hulne Park to try for those fabled Hawfinches *no show...they don't exist!!!* and then down a field along to the Canongate Bridge. Then walked back up Canongate to home.

1: Jackdaw
2: Feral Pigeon
3: Wood Pigeon
4: Robin
5: Starling
6: Pheasant
7: Rook
8: Blackbird
9: Mistle Thrush
10: Chaffinch
11: Greenfinch
12: Blue Tit
13: Nuthatch
14: Coal Tit
15: Great Tit
16: Dipper
17: Moorhen
18: House Sparrow
19: Collared Dove
20: Goldfinch

I eventually managed to get hubby out at 1pm :smoke: We headed over to Boulmer but it was absolutely HEAVING with once-a-year walkers so we then decided to try somewhere more peaceful so we drove up to Budle Bay (Neil's suggestion! :eek!:) Had a relaxing time scanning the Bay and then popped over to Stag Rocks to try for divers and grebes. No sign of them but hey, no worries - I've still got 364 days of birding left to catch up ;) :king:

21: Carrion Crow
22: Black-headed Gull
23: Magpie
24: Lapwing
25: Kestrel
26: Herring Gull
27: Coot
28: Oystercatcher
29: Redshank
30: Mute Swan
31: Wigeon
32: Teal
33: Curlew
34: Great Black-backed Gull
35: Mallard
36: Shelduck
37: Eider
38: Long-tailed Duck

Sunday, 4th January
Boulmer, Northumberland

39: Pied Wagtail
40: Turnstone
41: Sanderling
42: Ringed Plover
43: Bar-tailed Godwit
44: Grey plover
45: Cormorant
46: Red-breasted Merganser
47: Stonechat
48: Song Thrush
49: Grey Heron
50: Rock Pipit
51: Dunnock
52: Reed Bunting
53: Wren
54: Yellowhammer
55: Dunlin
56: Fieldfare
57: Redwing

Biggest dip of the day was Tree Sparrow and Grey Partridge :smoke: Both have been regulars in one particular spot for MONTHS yet today.....not so much as a feather to be seen! :eek!: And to add insult to injury, I HEARD a grey partridge a number of times from one particular field but would he show? Would he heckers!!!! :C I'll try again on Tuesday :-O

Last edited:
Friday, 9th January
Driving along A1, south of Morpeth.

58: Common Buzzard ~ being mobbed by a Rook.

Last edited:
Tuesday, 13th January
Alnwick, Northumberland

59: Long-tailed Tit ~ four feeding in trees opposite Baillifgate Museum.

Thursday, 22nd January
Alnwick, Northumberland

60: Treecreeper ~ one clinging to wall opposite living room window. Very unexpected but extremely welcome! :t:

Last edited:
Tuesday, 27th January
Morpeth, Northumberland

61: Common Gull
62: Waxwing

Cresswell, Northumberland

63: Red-throated Diver ~ just offshore at Caravan Park.
64: Pink-footed Goose
65: Barn Owl
66: Goldeneye
67: Little Grebe
68: Shoveler
69: Snipe
70: Peregrine Falcon
71: Scaup
72: Tufted Duck
73: Greylag Goose
74: Golden Plover
75: Whooper Swan

A good day all round :t: Very pleased to tick off a couple of tricky blighters that may have proved awkward towards the end of the year! It's happened before but it's NOT happening this year! ;)

Last edited:
Sunday, 1st February
Alnwick, Northumberland

76: Tawny Owl - one 'kewicking' in trees behind my flat just before midnight!

Last edited:
Thursday, 5th February
Jesmond Dene, Tyne & Wear

77: Stock Dove
78: Grey Wagtail

Dene very quiet today and no sign of any kingfishers at all!!! :eek!::-C

A flock of c.12 Waxwings seen from car at approx 3pm along A191 as you approach the Holystone Roundabout. Very unexpected and the second flock I've seen in ten days!!! :t:

Last edited:
Sunday, 15th February
Cresswell Pond, Northumberland

79: Canada Goose
80: Skylark
81: Gadwall
82: Pochard
83: Bittern :loveme:
84: Grey Partridge

Last edited:
Friday, 13th March
Holy Island, Northumberland

86: Meadow Pipit
87: Fulmar
88: Common Scoter

Budle Bay

89: Lesser Black-backed Gull

Stag Rocks, Bamburgh

90: Gannet
91: Slavonian Grebe *Lifer No. 196* :loveme:

Last edited:
Wednesday, 1st April
The Pastures, Alnwick

94: Chiffchaff ~ at least four back and singing well from Lion Bridge and The Pastures.
95: Great Spotted Woodpecker ~ female watched pecking away at bark on tree.

Also two Roe Deer - male with only one antler and female - seen grazing on opposite bank at 6pm as I sat by river and watched fish jumping. Completely unbothered by my presence :t:

Last edited:
Sunday, 5th April
St Mary's Wetland, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear

96: Linnet
97: Sand Martin ~ 1st of the year :t:

Amble Harbour, Northumberland

98: Mediterranean Gull *Lifer No. 197* :loveme:

Boulmer, Northumberland

99: Wheatear

Last edited:
Thursday, 9th April
Druridge Pools, Northumberland

100: Little Egret
101: Willow Warbler

No sign of Garganey :-C

Had to go down to NE to visit mother-in-law so nipped in to St Mary's first to try for that elusive Garganey....still no show!!! Very strong wind so it was probably staying in the shelter of the reeds :smoke:

Last edited:
Friday, 10th April
Druridge Pools, Budge Hide

102: Garganey :king:

Finally!!!!! On the fourth attempt in five days 3:)

Last edited:
Thursday, 16th April
Alnmouth, Northumberland

103: Sandwich Tern ~ 5 feeding at mouth of river.

Last edited:
Hulne Park, Northumberland
Thursday, 16th April

104: Siskin
105: Swallow
106: House Martin
107: Blackcap

Well, not a bad couple of hours :t: Had three summer migrants and heard a Green Woodpecker yaffling twice but couldn't see him :smoke: Jays heard too but, again, no sight obtained. Also - whilst trying to spot the screeching jays - I missed what I think may have been bullfinches which were in a small tree right in front of me!!! :eek!: First I knew was when they flew up and just as quickly dropped down into the valley below :smoke: The general impression was of a small bird with a white rump and dark (black?) tail. Never mind, I'll catch up with them at some point.
Also had a lovely red squirrel feeding on opening shoots in a small tree and, further on, a superb roebuck picking his way delicately through the trees next to the livery stables.
Also had two new butterflies for the year - a Peacock and a Green-veined White.

Last edited:
Thursday, 7th May
Druridge Pools, Northumberland

108: Swift
109: Sedge Warbler
110: Black-tailed Godwit

Also on the floating island and then swimming/playing in the water before heading over to the far bank, three Otters - Neil's first! He was chuffed to bits! :t: I'll get him into birding/wildlife yet! ;)

Tuesday, 12th May
Druridge Pools, N'land

Just a quickie today as I finshed work at 1.30pm and had to be back home by 4pm to do the tea before Neil went off to work :smoke:
Fairly quiet from the Budge Hide - skylark/sedge warbler/willow warbler/wren singing...a pair of greylag with 4 goslings, three pairs of gadwall, reed buntings very active and chasing each other around and lots of Garlic Mustard in bloom which was absolutely heaving with St Mark's Fly *Bibio marci*...a bug-phobic's nightmare 3:) Yes, I'm heartless ;) :king:
As I left the Budge Hide to walk to the other two I heard a bird singing away in the trees around the path. My first thought was of something 'warbler-ish' like a blackcap but it didn't sound quite right for that species. After almost ten minutes of waiting it showed itself...Whitethroat! :t:
Further on was another and this showed itself extremely well, albeit briefly once it realised I was watching it!
Nine dunlin in summer plumage and five ringed plover in front of the smaller hide and not much from the Oddie Hide - redshank, male Pied wagtail, Grey Heron, 5 male Mallard...no otters showing today :smoke: Bit of a shame as a couple from the Midlands were staying at Alnmouth for a holiday and otters would have been a nice treat for them. They said they've seen them many times on scottish islands though.

111. Whitethroat

I would have loved more time to nip along to Cresswell Pond, East Chevington and Hauxley but it was not to be :smoke: And Thursday, my one day off, is a non-starter too as I'm at the dentist for root canal work *oh joy* :smoke: :-C Darned work!!!! Gets in the way of my birding!!!! :C

Last edited:
Just been checking out my list I keep at the back of my diary to check what I have seen so far and, more importantly, NOT seen! Oh dear lord...the list is embarrassing :eek!:

Still To Get include such easy birds as *don't laugh* goldcrest...bullfinch...goosander...guillemot...jay...kingfisher...kittiwake...knot...puffin...red kite...red-legged partridge...ruddy duck...shag...tree sparrow!!!

Disgusting!!!:smoke: And I call myself a birder!!!! 3:)

Nae worries...I know exactly where to go to pick up all of these birds and I'll get to work on it over the next few weeks :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back