Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Field Sketching?

Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 16:41   #1
Swampy Sam

Talking Field Sketching?

I've been doing alot of it lately. I was just wondering if anyone else does it. My binos mounted on my tripod, I draw like crazy as soon as I see a stationary bird. Birds in flight are a bit tough but I still try. Just thought I would see if anyone else did this?
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 12:30   #2
Rotherbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy Sam View Post
I've been doing alot of it lately. I was just wondering if anyone else does it. My binos mounted on my tripod, I draw like crazy as soon as I see a stationary bird. Birds in flight are a bit tough but I still try. Just thought I would see if anyone else did this?
Sketching in the field is definitely the best way to get to know birds and to introduce freshness and realism into your artwork, using photographs for reference only. It teaches you to draw what you actually see rather than what you think you should see! Drawing exclusively from photos tends to produce stilted artwork, a little lacking in 'life'. It can be difficult at first, as you've found, but practice makes perfect, as they say! Perhaps you could post some of your work here?

Good luck and have fun!

RB
Old Saturday 27th July 2019, 01:03   #3
baz1973

I enjoy field sketching too, but I find it much easier with an angled scope. Agree with the comments above, it’s a great way to get life into your work.
Old Saturday 27th July 2019, 07:51   #4
BluePlanet
Sun Sea and Trees. Registered User

I think.... there is a parallel with sketching in astronomy. It really makes you pay attention to the features and details. Much easier with astronomy as long as you can keep following the relatively slow movement and the weather, clouds, and biting insects cooperate.

Birds, unless quite stationary or there're several in the area, like waders?, well.... Bravo to you, truly. I can sketch lifeless things and flora but my sketched horse looks like a dog and vice versa. I admire sketchers' skills. In sketching classes I was surprised though that the artists took photographs and sketched from them.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: