• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need some eyepiece help please! (1 Viewer)

justabirdwatcher

I'm calling on all the binocular gurus here for your help.

I have a pair of 8x42 Cabelas Outfitter HD's that I absolutely love. I believe these are Kamakura-made bins. They have fantastic glass - on par with Zeiss Conquest HD in virtually every way. I really want to use these bins more... BUT

They have eyecups that are too large in diameter for my big nose bridge. I actually replaced the factory rubber eyecups with bicycle tube rubber just to make them thinner. That helped, but I still cannot fit the eyepieces in my eye sockets, so there is always a lot of stray light getting in.

These eyepieces are very high quality metal eyepieces that unscrew. I included some pictures of the eyepieces, and the threaded portion of the barrel, complete with measurements.

What I'm hoping is that someone, somewhere can help me find another pair of smaller diameter eyepieces that I can screw on to these.

If I were an eyeglass wearer, I would have no complaints. The large eyepiece lenses provide a huge image when the eyecups are turned down. But I would love to use these without glasses and get them to fit into my eye sockets (past my big nose) if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    485.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    470.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    485.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    534.4 KB · Views: 25
In the interim, and depending on your angle, a pair of flat, clear (non-prescription), everyday / fashion / safety / shooting glasses may get you to where you want to be at very little cost.

Quite a few on here match their eye-wear to their binos.

Regards, Steve

Nah, I'm not going to bother with eyeglasses. I actually thought of that, but then there are two things I have to keep track of instead of one.

I have been using these more with the eyecups twisted down. I like the wider apparent field of view, but the stray light and lack of stability makes it a frustrating exercise.

I would even be willing to buy a cheap pair of used bins if I knew of some that had the same thread size for the eyepieces. Maybe I could get lucky and swap the eyepieces and sell them again.

Kinda desperate for a solution here because these are just gathering dust these days, and that's a real shame as good as they are. :(

How about keeping the eye cups all the way down and installing a pair of Field Optics Winged eye cups to keep the stray light out on the sides? Either that or just sell these and buy another pair of binoculars with smaller eye cups. I think you are just "Barking Up A Tree" trying to find smaller eye cups that will fit these. I don't think you will ever find any. You could also do what I do when the eye cups don't work. Just cup your hands around them and rest your hands against your forehead to adjust the eye relief. Essentially your hands become the eye cups.

https://www.amazon.com/Binocular-Ey...+optics+winged+eye+cups&qid=1568554625&sr=8-3

Attachments

• 31mWNY3TCoL.jpg
    31mWNY3TCoL.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sometimes eye cups just won't fit properly in your eye sockets.

I have never been able to use binoculars with the eye cups back in my eye sockets.

You might find the proper eye relief you need by bracing the eye cup up and against your brow ridge, just under your eyebrows; either by keeping the eye cups down or extending them the distance you need.

Bob

Last edited:
Bicycle tube rubber directly over the threads.

3D printing?

Would a 35mm film canister fit over the thread and add bicycle tube rubber, after cutting the film canister to the correct height?

Regards,
B.

P.S.
Just tried a 35mm film canister. It is too small.
There are eyecups for astro eyepieces that may fit?

Last edited:
Bicycle tube rubber directly over the threads.

3D printing?

Would a 35mm film canister fit over the thread and add bicycle tube rubber, after cutting the film canister to the correct height?

Regards,
B.

P.S.
Just tried a 35mm film canister. It is too small.
There are eyecups for astro eyepieces that may fit?

I've thought about the bike tube over the threads. I plan to try that still. But of course I'd prefer a screw-on eyecup - something tapered at the top like the Zeiss (but they don't fit unfortunately).

The 3D printing isn't the worst idea I've heard. I know a few folks who can do that and I may ask them about it.

I'll look into the astro eyepieces too. Thanks for the tips.

Hi,

could you prolong the twisted down eyecups with some bicycle tube to get a fit?

Or 3D printing as has been recommended by Binastro!

Joachim

Hi,

could you prolong the twisted down eyecups with some bicycle tube to get a fit?

Or 3D printing as has been recommended by Binastro!

Joachim

I did experiment with elongating the bicycle tubing over the screwed-down eyepieces. The large diameter of the eyepieces caused the tubing to deform so much that it was a futile exercise.

Inner tube with a wider diameter?

Joachim

Most likely that's what I need to find.

But I was sure hoping to discover there were other bins that used the same thread, and had better eyecup designs! :D

I'm sure this seems like a futile exercise to some for a "cheap" pair of Cabelas bins, but that's because most people don't realize just how good these Outfitter HD's are. They are definitely worth putting some time into.

I did find some microscope eyecups that are designed for 32-34mm diameter. I'm going to give those a try and see how they work.

https://www.amscope.com/microscope-...VRF8NCh0QHwelEAkYAiABEgI5hPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

• eye-guards-eg-sm-01.jpg
    eye-guards-eg-sm-01.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back