• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser or Greater (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

This is not about any specific id, but rather an observation that I have made about birders posting here.

I noticed that more often than not, when a question is asked about whether a species is Lesser or Greater something, that the ID is inevitably Greater. I wonder why that is :smoke:

I also wonder if anyone else has noticed this at all 8-P

This seems to be the case for those not so straightforward birds, such as Scaup, Yellowlegs .. etc.

I don't have incontrovertible scientific proof but I did a quick search on this forum and it seems to be the case ;)

Be interesting to see the stats for sandplovers ( one of the ID forum regulars). I have a feeling more of the resolved ones might be Lesser.

On the West Coast of the US, Greater Yellowlegs are far more likely, so an unknown bird there is usually going to be Greater. Lesser Scaup are in general more widespread, so I'd give better odds to them over Greater in the US. For Black-backed Gulls, it's usually people trying to turn a Great into a Lesser.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back