• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best place to see Manx Shearwater UK (2 Viewers)

Earnest lad

Dear colleagues

The Manx Shearwater is a bird I have never seen.
I understand they can often be seen far out to sea from various places, but please does anyone know of good spots for getting good views
Would it be necessary to go out on a boat trip or not, and if so which would be the place to go on a boat to guarantee good views

Your kind support is appreciated

Can see thousands some days in the Firth of Clyde from, for example, the harbourmouth at Irvine. Often they pass less than 100m from the shore.

Dear colleagues

I understand they can often be seen far out to sea from various places, but please does anyone know of good spots for getting good views
Would it be necessary to go out on a boat trip or not, and if so which would be the place to go on a boat to guarantee good views

14 seen this morning from Heysham Power station- might not be too far from you. Probably best to go on days like this with strong westerly winds.

As you are planning a trip to Devon soon you could try Berry head near Brixham or Portland Bill which is not too far away.

There is also a chance of Balearic shearwater there too but it is probably abit early for those.

If you want good close views, I know there is an evening boat trip from Martins Haven, you can get tickets from Lockley Lodge visitor center in Pembrokeshire, which goes around skomer Island where they breed, although I have not done the trip myself

Heysham, Lancs. Depending on where you live in Lancashire this is probably the nearest location.
Latest report this morning- 196 manx but numbers reducing as the wind dies down.
You can watch from North harbour wall normally but it is temporarily closed for construction work. Otherwise park at Middleton Caravan site or just outside, and walk along the prom beneath the power station

Last edited:
Dear colleagues

I also note you are going to Devon soon. Berry Head ought to be a guaranteed place to see 'em, if you give it half an hour or more. However, should you want to head on into Cornwall, hundreds and occasionally thousands pass Porthgwarra every evening in the summer. The majority can be pretty close and enjoyed through bins whilst lying back in the heather.

If, let's say for the sake of it, you took my suggestion of Prawle Point for Cirl Bunting, it's likely a glance out to sea would produce Manx and you could enjoy both at the same time! Nice pub there too, on the village green, the Pig's Nose!

Dear colleagues
Thank you all for your kind and helpful response
The various locations including Devon, and more local are most helpful. Also the boat trip at Pembrokeshire sounds a good one maybe even for some photo opportunities. This business about a pigs nose though I'm not so sure.
Thanks once again with kindest regards to all.

As you are planning a trip to Devon soon you could try Berry head near Brixham or Portland Bill which is not too far away.

There is also a chance of Balearic shearwater there too but it is probably abit early for those.

If you go to Berry Head I wouldn't bother looking from the top of the cliff - it's too high. The regular seawatchers go down the road to the quarry and watch from there.

What about Starr Gate in Blackpool and Formby Point in Southport - some pretty decent counts there over the past but these could be seasonal ?

Portpatrick Galloway Scotland is a good location to see them passing by.
There are benches near Portpatrick Hotel which give a grandstand view.

If you want good close views, I know there is an evening boat trip from Martins Haven, you can get tickets from Lockley Lodge visitor center in Pembrokeshire, which goes around skomer Island where they breed, although I have not done the trip myself

If you want really good views you can stay overnight on Skomer https://www.welshwildlife.org/events/shearwater-week-the-manx-shearwater-experience/ and get to see the Shearwaters at extremely close quarters.

Nick

If you're near Heysham why not catch the slow ferry to the Isle of Man? Lovely weekend trip and plenty of sea birds during the crossing :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back