• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID please (1 Viewer)

JMikeB

Took these three photos at Crosby Coastguard Station at the weekend. The third bird from the right in the first photo is the one I am querying. It looks larger and with heavier build than the adult Common Gull stood next to it - possible Ring-billed or just a 2nd winter Common?

Attachments

• Gull 1.jpg
    Gull 1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Gull 2.jpg
    Gull 2.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Gull 3.jpg
    Gull 3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 245
JMikeB said:
Took these three photos at Crosby Coastguard Station at the weekend. The third bird from the right in the first photo is the one I am querying. It looks larger and with heavier build than the adult Common Gull stood next to it - possible Ring-billed or just a 2nd winter Common?

Looks like a Ring Billed to me also. The more upright stance stands out for me which is one of the things I would look for in a line of Common Gulls.

Thanks for the info guys. I am dead chuffed with this one - I had almost convinced myself it was a Ring-billed but I have been known to make some howlers where Gulls are concerned. I particularly liked the tip aout the stance Reader - I will remember to watch for that next time.

Jane Turner said:
The stance is even more exaggerated when they walk I find.

Thanks for the tip Jane. I have to say I didn't get brilliant views of this bird - I was approx 150 yards away at the time and the flock was quickly disturbed. When the Ring-billed flew up I failed to relocate it afterwards. Hopefully I will be back soon and will get to observe the bird for a longer period of time.

What age group would you place the Ring-billed at? Second winter?

Hi there,
Are these the only photos that exist of the bird? I ask because, while it may well be a Ring-billed, a few features are unusual for one, and other features can't be seen at all (like the extent and contrast of the tertial crescent, for one).
Whatever the bird is, it is a 2nd-w: adults of both species would have yellower legs, and 1st-w birds would have pinkish or greyish bills with black tips/ juvenile coverts etc. I would associate this odd bluish leg colour more with 2nd-w Common, to be honest, although I have seen it on 2nd-w Ring-billed occasionally. The bill doesn't seem very thick, and 2nd-w Commons often have a bill band, so I'd prefer to see a nice shot in profile. Admittedly, the nature of the breast markings are suggestive of Ring-billed, but I would like to see more detail, or some notes.
Also potentially of interest is the pattern of the tail, best seen in flight, which can often be quite distinctive in 2nd-w Ring-billed: was this noted/ photographed?
Regards,
Harry

Harry,

It's the 'usual' Ring-billed Gull, and as youngbirder18 says, has been present since August last year. I can't see anything wrong to suggest it isn't one, although as you say, a profile shot would be nice.

Josh

Like Harry I hesitated when I noticed the tertial crescent but there are 2 Common Gulls standing directly behind the RBG and I reckoned the rear end must belong to one of them visible because its holding it a bit higher.

Hi Brian,
No, the tertial crescent that is visible is from the adult Common behind, knew that, was just bemoaning the fact that the bird's own tertials are hidden.
Josh, I never said that it wasn't a Ring-billed (indeed, I think it most probably is, especially if the same bird as in the shot that Jan has posted a link to), just that some more detail would, if available, be nice.
Below are some photos that I took of a similarly blue-legged 2nd-w Ring-billed Gull at the Cork Lough about a year ago. The bird was a bit on the small side, and was presumably a small female.
Regards,
Harry

Attachments

• 2nd_wRBGull[1].JPG
    2nd_wRBGull[1].JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 2nd_wRBGull2[1].JPG
    2nd_wRBGull2[1].JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Harry Hussey said:
Hi there,
Are these the only photos that exist of the bird? I ask because, while it may well be a Ring-billed, a few features are unusual for one, and other features can't be seen at all (like the extent and contrast of the tertial crescent, for one).
Whatever the bird is, it is a 2nd-w: adults of both species would have yellower legs, and 1st-w birds would have pinkish or greyish bills with black tips/ juvenile coverts etc. I would associate this odd bluish leg colour more with 2nd-w Common, to be honest, although I have seen it on 2nd-w Ring-billed occasionally. The bill doesn't seem very thick, and 2nd-w Commons often have a bill band, so I'd prefer to see a nice shot in profile. Admittedly, the nature of the breast markings are suggestive of Ring-billed, but I would like to see more detail, or some notes.
Also potentially of interest is the pattern of the tail, best seen in flight, which can often be quite distinctive in 2nd-w Ring-billed: was this noted/ photographed?
Regards,
Harry

Sorry guys - these are the only photographs. I was watching a small flock of mixed gulls coming to bread approx 150 yards away and when viewed through the scope this bird caught my attention straight away. I immediately slapped a Coolpix on the end of the scope - the birds flew immediately after the third photograph and I failed to relocate the bird after (not through want of trying though).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back