• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone able to help out Christian with this one ? (1 Viewer)

I started coming over all Groundhog Day with this, because hasn't this photo cropped up before. I seem to remember myself and various others saying it was a Greenshank! It was either this photo or a very similar looking one.

Pity the bill base disappears against the mud - it probably makes it look shorter than it really is. Seems upturned too. Head and neck look oddly dark, but I'd still agree Greenshank.

Deja vu!

Its the uniformity of the neck that bothered me... last time I meant to check if there was any way a Greater-Legs could look like this!

Jane Turner said:
Deja vu!

Its the uniformity of the neck that bothered me... last time I meant to check if there was any way a Greater-Legs could look like this!
But surely, if it's going to be a yellowlegs, on that jizz it would be a Lesser rather than a Greater?

When the pic began to download, I immediately guessed greenshank and I still think it is. That bill is almost certainly upturned and the legs appear "dark" rather than yellowlegs "yellow", although I do think the light is bad.
The one thing bothering me is the clear super! Immediately made me think of spotted redshank......it couldn't be,..... could it?

Bluetail said:
But surely, if it's going to be a yellowlegs, on that jizz it would be a Lesser rather than a Greater?

Interesting Jason.... if it looks more like a Lesser Legs on jizz, as opposed to a Greater Legs...er doesn't that make it more likely to be a Marsh Sand! I think this is an intersring bird and I shall give it a thorouh once over once I have finished the index..... so sometime in 2006! My assumption is that it is Greenshank.. but by defualt rather than it actually looks like one!

This is what I can see on this bird :
• The bill looks a little short for typical Greenshank at a little more than 1.5 x the head width. It is also a little too straight, with only the most imperceptable of upturns. That said it is quite thick tipped unlike Marsh Sand.
• There is an obvious supercilium and more obvious pre-ocular dark eyestripe. I’ve never seen Greenshank with a super and only a weak eyestripe. Marsh Sand often shows the super, but I don’t recall seeing the eyestripe. Lesser Yellowlegs does show the eyestripe and super and I have only seen one Greater-legs.. so help required.
• The head and neck, including the fore-neck is washed uniform grey. I’m sure streaks would be obvious. Winter plumage Greenshank shouldn’t have all the grey at the front of the neck…and I’d expect to see fine streaking – in summer the fore-neck could be marked – but with coarse streaks. Marsh Sandpiper tends to show unstreaked grey…but not on the fore neck. I’ve seen Winter Lesser-legs looking very like this.
• There are 5 or so feathers on the scapulars and wing covers that seem to be rather rounded dark feathers with uniform narrow edges. Summwe plumage Greenshank shows eathers like this – though I think they are normally a little more elongated. Marsh Sandpiper never has feathers like this. From memory Lesser Legs has barred scapulars in summer plumage and I believe Greater Legs has feathers as shown.

So tentatively….very tenatively, I’d like to pass this to our US contingents and ask them if there was any way this could be a Greater Yellowlegs.

I couldn't help myself. I think this deserves more attention!

Attachments

• BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
I´d go for a funny greenshank, the proportions and Jizz thing wouldn´t fit for Marsh sand in my opinion:

1. Bill upturned
2. legs in marsh sand seem to be very long; can´t see this in that bird

No experience with yellowlegs though, but if this turned out to be a yellowlegs, itz should be greater...
But still convinced it´s greenshank.

Been looking for images of Greater Yellowlegs - can't find one coming into summer plumage like this bird, but you can see how Greater Legs could fit the plumage. Looks like we are down to a choice of aberrant Grenshank or dull-legged Greater Legs. Though if you look at the bottom left pic in this collage of Greater Yellowlegs, the legs aren't that yellow!

Also a collection of Greenshank.

Attachments

• BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 211
  • BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Wow, there are so much interessting hints from you! Thank you very much!
This bird is very rare in the nature reserve of Duisburg. In August i will travel to Helgoland to see many seabird and others! Hope i can show you many pictures of them!

Kind regards
Chris

With the caveat that I've only seen a few Yellowlegs (lesser and greater, all in California, not Europe), all of them have had very bright yellow legs, which this bird doesn't have. When I first looked at it, its starkly contrasting dark wings (compared to the gray of the head and neck) doesn't fit with the Yellowlegs I've seen which are more uniformly colored in any plumage.

Was this bird recently photographed? I.e., so that it would be in breeding plumage? If so, the lack of dark spots or bars on the flank doesn't lend itself to either Yellowlegs.

All IMHO. I'd defer to Greenshank just by default (but I've never seen one of those at all so apologize for being less than helpful here).

@ Jane: That's right, no pictures with more details!
But if i see this bird a third time i will make a better photo!

Thank you for your help!

Chris

While indexing the ID photos I found *This* Its an interesting illustration of how un-yellow a yellowlegs' legs can look if the ligh is wrong. Still not certain that what Christian's bird is, Greensank still most likely, but it STILL looks unlike any Greenshank I've ever seen.

Jane Turner said:
While indexing the ID photos I found *This* Its an interesting illustration of how un-yellow a yellowlegs' legs can look if the ligh is wrong. Still not certain that what Christian's bird is, Greensank still most likely, but it STILL looks unlike any Greenshank I've ever seen.
Well, you're half right. The light is "wrong" for being directly on the legs, but as you can see from the reflection on the water (from light bouncing from the water to the belly to the legs), this bird's legs are definitely bright yellow.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back