• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is this a hairy woodpecker? (1 Viewer)

Odds say never argue with Michael Frankis, but I think it looks a bit large (compared to the feeder-- what I conceive is a big rustic American one) for a Downy, and the head is a bit too long and angular. I can't see the bill well-- a combination of the perspective of her turned head, and the smallness of the image on my monitor, but females do have slightly smaller bills than males, of both species. A longish tail (granted, it's a longish view) and no barring on the outer tailfeathers (granted, a variable character). Hairy.

PS: Pardon my discourtesy. Welcome aboard BF, Andrew. Looking forward to more of your challenges.

The first impression I got was that it was a larger bird. But looking at the bill (or what seems to be the bill) it seems rather short and now that I look at it again the bird isn't really that big. I'm leaning towards Downy right now, but it could very easily be a Hairy (hard to say for sure from angle of shot).

Even though we don't know the size of your feeder, my first thought when I saw it was Hairy.

The head is turned away in this photo and the bill blends too much into the mortar crack in the background.

However, when I blew up the photo to get a look at the rectrices, there are no black spots which is diagnostic for Downy (except for Pacific coast Hairy). If this was shot in NJ, this is a Hairy.

Katy,

The feeder is maybe 9" tall, the bird appears to be about 6" head to beak. This is shot in New Jersey on the Raritan Bay Coast. I have plenty of Downys around, but I 've never seen one with this pattern. My first thought was a young female hairy. I ll try to get a better picture.
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back