• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long range shots of gull, Northern Germany, May 2016 (1 Viewer)

CARERY

Apologies for the poor quality! On 15th May 2016 I took two pictures of this gull flying past our vessel (North Sea off shore, approx. 30 km West of Cuxhaven). The bird was really far away on a very bright day. Best I could get...

My best guess is Mediterranean Gull but I've never seen a 3rd year bird with so much black in wingstips. Happy to get more opinions!

Attachments

• LARUS_20160515_a.jpg
    LARUS_20160515_a.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 97
  • LARUS_20160515_b.jpg
    LARUS_20160515_b.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 95
that's not a pure med gull. should be a hybrid, presumably with common gull.

Thank's for your comments! It also has crossed my mind that this could be hybrid with Common Gull. Is there any proof of hybridisation between these two? Do you know pictures to compare?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back