• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help me to identify the stint (1 Viewer)

yohay

hello everybody

a month ago i saw a very strange stint

attached here a picture of the bird in very bad quality, i hope it helps and maybe you can help me identify the stint

have a nice week
yohay

Attachments

• çåôéú2-1.jpg
    çåôéú2-1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 365
From the image alone this could be either Little (most likely of course) or Red-necked Stint or perhaps even a Sanderling. What was it exactly that made you think it was 'strange'?

Spud

Hi Yohay,
This photo has me slightly puzzled: the reddish areas of the throat/upper breast seem unstreaked(which would appear to rule out Sanderling),but on my monitor at least it looks as if there MAY have been a white area on the upper throat under the bill?
If this was present(and not just a photographic artefact),was the WHOLE "chin"/throat white,or was this area uniform reddish?
Were there any "normal" Little Stints present for comparison?
COULD be a Red-necked Stint,but,as Spud says,it's hard to say from this photo alone,and the species is quite a rarity in the Western Palearctic.
Harry H

My thoughts are also towards a Sanderling, with the details burned out of the photo by the bright light. The body looks a mite bulky for a stint, and the bill perhaps a bit long. Even more so if the really pale bit on the mantle is new winter plumage feathers moulting in. But I suspect it isn't going to be possible to get a definite answer from this pic alone.

Michael

i dont think that is a Sanderling because the head was BROWN and not red.
the most closer bird looks to me as a baird's sandpiper
when i comper it to a pictures of baird's sandpiper it looks very similiar

yohay

Hi Yohay,

I agree that the bird does look somewhat like a Bairds but the primary length beyond the tail doesn't look particularly long (although the primary tips might be crossed which would make the projection seem shorter). I'm afraid that the image does not allow the level of detail needed to be seen. Do you have any other images of the bird, even if just from different angles?

Spud

Welcome, indeed, Yohay, on behalf of Birdforum Admin and Mods.

The quick replies you've gotten -- if not a specific answer :) -- are proof of the friendliness to be found here. Birdlovers from all over the world contribute to the wealth of knowledge to be had.

I'd also like to extend an invitation to the Great Global Bird Count -- GGBC 2 -- an event organized to count birds globally and a great excuse to get out and go birding in October. We'd love to have a report from Israel (or anywhere else you might be at the time!). You can find full details on the Member's Notice Board.

Oh this is fun - another triky bird with an ambiguous photo. It looks ever so long-billed and not much like a Sanderling. Unfortunately the pic isn't good enough to see if it has a hind toe or not. If I'd seen it, especially in Israel, I'd be trying to turn it into Red-necked Stint.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back