Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular bargains

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 14:53   #3301
wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ok, the Euro's are on their way back to Cabela's. I hope they get grease on their hands when they inspect them. I am getting on the Bushnell 8x42 Legend M bandwagon. I ordered one from Ebay. Let's see if they are any better than the Euro.
Thus ends another episode of 'Denco's Duds'.... One man's eternally heartbreaking search
for a cheap binocular that will please in all aspects for eternity, or until he grows tired of it, and seeks a new optical thrill, which all too often ends up being the same binocular clad in a different outfit, much to his dismay and disappointment..

Next week's episode: Bushnell, 'The Legend' Mwah... (steeply discounted)
Fulfillment or Fraud?
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 15:07   #3302
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
I am getting on the Bushnell 8x42 Legend M bandwagon. I ordered one from Ebay. Let's see if they are any better than the Euro.
You will be getting a a $300 to $400 class binocular for $161. Hopefully this one will be of good quality for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreorless View Post
I bought a Nikon 8x42 Aculon off of Midway for $25.01 , price was $22.47 I had to add something to make it $25 and free shipping, best $25 I ever spent.
My 8X42 showed up from Midway USA Thursday and all is good. It has a very good center view that is sharp, bright and a near natural color balance. The mechanics are solid. It is amazing how little money one can spend to get a nice quality view. It is a true binocular bargain.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 15:20   #3303
gcole

Quote:
Ok, the Euro's are on their way back to Cabela's. I hope they get grease on their hands when they inspect them. I am getting on the Bushnell 8x42 Legend M bandwagon. I ordered one from Ebay. Let's see if they are any better than the Euro.
First off I am sorry to hear about your Cabela EURO, but I am glad you did not get my pair ... perfect focusing with just the right tension for me giving me just the right speed. Diopter looks & feels pretty healthy. I almost bought the Legend M when Rogers Sporting had them first on Ebay for $159. Lets face it .... you, me & many others that post here often that have many BINO years behind us will never be totally satisfied with any binocular made in China no matter what the cost. We are just to Anal when it comes to our optics.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 16:01   #3304
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
First off I am sorry to hear about your Cabela EURO, but I am glad you did not get my pair ... perfect focusing with just the right tension for me giving me just the right speed. Diopter looks & feels pretty healthy. I almost bought the Legend M when Rogers Sporting had them first on Ebay for $159. Lets face it .... you, me & many others that post here often that have many BINO years behind us will never be totally satisfied with any binocular made in China no matter what the cost. We are just to Anal when it comes to our optics.
It was weird how the IPD just suddenly loosened up. I think the Euro's could be returns that were sent to Meopta for repairs. There was probably a problem with the IPD and they tightened it but when I used it it loosened up again. Watch your Euro closely to see if it develops any problems. Is it leaking grease? I am buying the Bushnell 8x42 Legend M just for a knock-around binocular. For $160 bucks I wouldn't care if somebody stole it.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 16:02   #3305
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
You will be getting a a $300 to $400 class binocular for $161. Hopefully this one will be of good quality for you.

My 8X42 showed up from Midway USA Thursday and all is good. It has a very good center view that is sharp, bright and a near natural color balance. The mechanics are solid. It is amazing how little money one can spend to get a nice quality view. It is a true binocular bargain.
Let us know how the focus is on your Bushnell Legend M 8x42 when you get it.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 19:36   #3306
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Let us know how the focus is on your Bushnell Legend M 8x42 when you get it.
The Bushnell Legend M 8X42 from the ebay Rogers listing arrived a little bit ago. Looks like UPS Ground is doing Saturday deliveries. I do not know if they were delivered by UPS Ground folks or contracted out as they just left them by the door without knocking.

The focus checks out fine. There is no free play. It is slightly on the stiff side but I can rotate it with one finger and not jerk the binocular. It may loosen up a little with use. There a very slight difference in tension through the full travel but that seems to be going away after a few cycles. It is not a Nikon EDG focus but it is very good and I have no complaints. I do not know if it will get stiff in the CO cold like your old Sightron. So far, everything else checks out fine. The eye cup and hinge mechanics are good and the color balance looks close to neutral. Dennis, you will be happy to know that no grease is oozing out of the focus!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 19:42   #3307
David in NC

Quote:
Looks like UPS Ground is doing Saturday deliveries. I do not know if they were delivered by UPS Ground folks or contracted out as they just left them by the door without knocking.
Santa Claus.

Hoping to retire by the end of 2018! So I can turn around and start my next career... (?)
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 20:41   #3308
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
The Bushnell Legend M 8X42 from the ebay Rogers listing arrived a little bit ago. Looks like UPS Ground is doing Saturday deliveries. I do not know if they were delivered by UPS Ground folks or contracted out as they just left them by the door without knocking.

The focus checks out fine. There is no free play. It is slightly on the stiff side but I can rotate it with one finger and not jerk the binocular. It may loosen up a little with use. There a very slight difference in tension through the full travel but that seems to be going away after a few cycles. It is not a Nikon EDG focus but it is very good and I have no complaints. I do not know if it will get stiff in the CO cold like your old Sightron. So far, everything else checks out fine. The eye cup and hinge mechanics are good and the color balance looks close to neutral. Dennis, you will be happy to know that no grease is oozing out of the focus!
The Cabela's Euro HD 8x32 did two things that I have never experienced on any of my binoculars even the Chinese ones. Oozed grease from the focus mechanism and the IPD tension loosened up so much the binoculars were unusable. No more Meopta's for me. Nikon has the best focusers don't they. Even the Nikon Action has a better focuser than a Swaro. Thanks for the feedback Bruce.

Last edited by [email protected] : Saturday 11th November 2017 at 20:44.
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 21:18   #3309
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
The Cabela's Euro HD 8x32 did two things that I have never experienced on any of my binoculars even the Chinese ones. Oozed grease from the focus mechanism and the IPD tension loosened up so much the binoculars were unusable. No more Meopta's for me. Nikon has the best focusers don't they. Even the Nikon Action has a better focuser than a Swaro. Thanks for the feedback Bruce.
Dennis,

You just reminded me ... the Euro HD I had briefly had the same issue with hinge being a bit loose and changing the IPD setting. I also remember someone else on the forum mentioned the same problem.

My sample didn't have oozing grease. Focus was a little too tight, but precise.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 21:35   #3310
NDhunter

Quote:

Bruce and Steve: I also ordered the Nikon Aculon 8x42, and found it
much the same, nice fit and finish, and a very good center view. This
would be a great starter binocular. I find the 8x42 to be better than
the 7x35, that one seems to have a smaller sweet spot, and a bit dimmer.

My 8x42 refurb. seems like new, and works like that. This model size
may be the sweet spot in the Aculon lineup. If there are any left at
Midway, for those watching, I would check. A great Christmas gift, and
more than that.

Jerry
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 21:51   #3311
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
Dennis,

You just reminded me ... the Euro HD I had briefly had the same issue with hinge being a bit loose and changing the IPD setting. I also remember someone else on the forum mentioned the same problem.

My sample didn't have oozing grease. Focus was a little too tight, but precise.
In all the binoculars I have had none has ever developed a loose IPD hinge until the Euro. What was really weird is one moment it was tight and then "bam" it was so loose it would not begin to stay in position. It is something that would have to go back to Meopta to be repaired also and then I would worry it would happen again. Back to Cabela's.
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 01:52   #3312
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Chuck, if you feel like taking a China gamble, go for it. If you get a good one (and I think the odds are better as a Bushnell than say a Zen Ray), you will most likely find it superior to the Eagle Optics you bought recently. The $161 price is an incredible buy for what it provides, assuming consistent good quality.

Agree on Rogers. They provided great customer service to me a couple of years ago on a Zeiss UPS mangled shipment.
Well Bruce I bit on it! I supposed it arrived safe and sound. Doing a little birding on the Gulf coast so I haven't even seen it. Sounds like nice binocular by all accounts.

Quote:
In all the binoculars I have had none has ever developed a loose IPD hinge until the Euro. What was really weird is one moment it was tight and then "bam" it was so loose it would not begin to stay in position. It is something that would have to go back to Meopta to be repaired also and then I would worry it would happen again. Back to Cabela's.
I got mine but haven't even looked at it. I put it up and headed to the coast. Hate you had an issue...

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 03:56   #3313
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
Thus ends another episode of 'Denco's Duds'.... One man's eternally heartbreaking search
for a cheap binocular that will please in all aspects for eternity, or until he grows tired of it, and seeks a new optical thrill, which all too often ends up being the same binocular clad in a different outfit, much to his dismay and disappointment..

Next week's episode: Bushnell, 'The Legend' Mwah... (steeply discounted)
Fulfillment or Fraud?

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 04:15   #3314
[email protected]
Forum Member

"One man's eternally heartbreaking search for a cheap binocular that will please in all aspects for eternity"

Not just cheap binoculars. I have searched at all price ranges including the alpha's but I must say I enjoy the hunt. I just like trying different binoculars. Stay tuned for the next episode. "Bushnell M...To keep or not to keep. That is the question. Or is a Bushnell focuser really as tight as a Habicht's?".

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 12th November 2017 at 05:10.
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 11:38   #3315
mooreorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Bruce and Steve: I also ordered the Nikon Aculon 8x42, and found it
much the same, nice fit and finish, and a very good center view. This
would be a great starter binocular. I find the 8x42 to be better than
the 7x35, that one seems to have a smaller sweet spot, and a bit dimmer.

My 8x42 refurb. seems like new, and works like that. This model size
may be the sweet spot in the Aculon lineup. If there are any left at
Midway, for those watching, I would check. A great Christmas gift, and
more than that.

Jerry
Jerry I don't see any moore of the Nikon 8x42 Aculon refurb binocular. I think we bought them all. I would of liked to get on of the 10x25 for my Grandson, but that is ok I have another I might give him. One of the best $25 I have spent.

Last edited by mooreorless : Sunday 12th November 2017 at 11:42.
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 17:48   #3316
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

New member here,

I was at Cabelas today, saw the euro 8X32 and while the store viewing did not compare to being outside, it seemed good, much better view than the nikon Monarch 7 8X30 which I also . They only had the store sample, (none currently for sale) and the first thing I noticed made me aware of the statements made here - try it before you buy it - and how does it fit your facial features.
I found the eyecups small, not as comfortable in my eye sockets as my old 8X32Hgs, and the ocular seemed small, I guess I feel more comfortable with a large diameter ocular lens.
Should it fit someone, and there will be many, it is a good deal for $450 a nice compact glass with good build.

Andy W.

There were no Nikon HG models to view, I guess it may take a while before they get behind the counter

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 18:12   #3317
RioTuitoBirder
parrotstowarblers.weebly. com

I am pleased to see some of the more recent binocular reviews were favorable to the ones I have and am acquiring. I'm not especially savvy or picky but as I'm going on my first serious birdwatching expedition in Mexico soon I felt an upgrade was in order. For a couple years I've been using a pair of Nikon Aculon 8x42's which were a serious upgrade from my old Adams 7x35's. They really seemed to brighten up the views in the forests and jungles where I like to roam. What's coming in the mail on Tuesday is a set of Bushnell Legend M 8x42. They seemed to compare favorably to the highly recommended Nikon Monarchs at a lower price point on Amazon. Of course there are a lot of choices on Monarchs but my eyes began to glaze over with all the comparisons and the specs which I frankly can't fathom just yet. It looks like there is plenty of positive buzz about the Legend so I'm feeling good about my choice. Some of us just don't have the capital (or the keen eye) to benefit from a $3,000 Swarovski purchase. Thanks for sharing, folks. I'll let you know how the new 'nocs work out!
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 20:05   #3318
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
New member here,

I was at Cabelas today, saw the euro 8X32 and while the store viewing did not compare to being outside, it seemed good, much better view than the nikon Monarch 7 8X30 which I also . They only had the store sample, (none currently for sale) and the first thing I noticed made me aware of the statements made here - try it before you buy it - and how does it fit your facial features.
I found the eyecups small, not as comfortable in my eye sockets as my old 8X32Hgs, and the ocular seemed small, I guess I feel more comfortable with a large diameter ocular lens.
Should it fit someone, and there will be many, it is a good deal for $450 a nice compact glass with good build.

Andy W.

There were no Nikon HG models to view, I guess it may take a while before they get behind the counter
The Euro HD has smaller than average eyecups which creates problems because you tend to insert them into your eye sockets too far and then you have too much ER and you get blackouts. After the IPD hinge loosened up on mine I would steer clear of them. They have QA issues or at least mine did. Could be an isolated issue I guess.

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 13th November 2017 at 03:21.
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 20:07   #3319
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioTuitoBirder View Post
I am pleased to see some of the more recent binocular reviews were favorable to the ones I have and am acquiring. I'm not especially savvy or picky but as I'm going on my first serious birdwatching expedition in Mexico soon I felt an upgrade was in order. For a couple years I've been using a pair of Nikon Aculon 8x42's which were a serious upgrade from my old Adams 7x35's. They really seemed to brighten up the views in the forests and jungles where I like to roam. What's coming in the mail on Tuesday is a set of Bushnell Legend M 8x42. They seemed to compare favorably to the highly recommended Nikon Monarchs at a lower price point on Amazon. Of course there are a lot of choices on Monarchs but my eyes began to glaze over with all the comparisons and the specs which I frankly can't fathom just yet. It looks like there is plenty of positive buzz about the Legend so I'm feeling good about my choice. Some of us just don't have the capital (or the keen eye) to benefit from a $3,000 Swarovski purchase. Thanks for sharing, folks. I'll let you know how the new 'nocs work out!
I have a pair of the Bushnell M's 8x42 coming next week also. Let us know how the focus is.
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 01:15   #3320
RioTuitoBirder
parrotstowarblers.weebly. com

Will do.
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 16:56   #3321
wdc

Quote:
.... I must say I enjoy the hunt. I just like trying different binoculars.

... Or is a Bushnell focuser really as tight as a Habicht's?".
I think many enjoy the hunt here.

As far as focusers go, I've found the Tract Toric to be the stiffest among the binoculars I've owned and/or tried, with the Zeiss Conquest the least. We'll see where the Legend lands on that spectrum.

Bill
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 18:39   #3322
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
I think many enjoy the hunt here.

As far as focusers go, I've found the Tract Toric to be the stiffest among the binoculars I've owned and/or tried, with the Zeiss Conquest the least. We'll see where the Legend lands on that spectrum.

Bill
Have you tried a Swarovski Habicht 8x30?
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 20:22   #3323
wdc

Quote:
Have you tried a Swarovski Habicht 8x30?
Never bothered to. The eye relief specs rule them out for me. Same with the Nikon porros.
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 23:33   #3324
summer-blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreorless View Post
I bought a Nikon 8x42 Aculon off of Midway for $25.01 , price was $22.47 I had to add something to make it $25 and free shipping, best $25 I ever spent. I would of bought the 10x25 but non left I wonder why.
Think I am the one who contribute most to the 10x25's disappearance . I bought 10! Today I just gifted 3 of them to 3 gentlemen who did a great job of building a solar system to our home.

BTW, I also bought 5 of those 8x42 Aculons.
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 00:30   #3325
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Well I was on the midway site and purchased two 10X25 aculons for gifts. They both are in proper working order and will check out when the sun comes up. In addition I procured a new HG LX 8X20 for less than half price, wonder how the optics are on those.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: