Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular bargains

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Thursday 28th December 2017, 23:37   #3426
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Chuck, Elias, Fazalmajid and Dave ..... Thank you for the positive feedback. It is great to hear that you have benefited from the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
I really appreciate Bruce's "sales" or "discounts" postings, although he has cost me more money probably than any single person here! ........
Chuck ...... Just be grateful this is not an automotive forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Bruce:

OP is just a large internet seller. They promote in many ways. You are feeding the beast.

I suppose they could be a sponsor on here, and then have a permalink. You could help them
with that.

I don't find a 10% off to really be a bargain, and some have posted a bait and switch, and not
mentioning they are selling a refurb. or demo. as new.

I am not being negative, it is just you are pushing them way too much. I call it as I see it.

Jerry
Most of Jerry's concerns have been addressed already by myself and other members but since I do post many Optics Planet discounts, then I should address Jerry's insinuation that Optics Planet is a bait and switch scam internet operation.

If I thought that were the case for them or any other vendor, I would not post anything about them in this thread!

If Jerry has a personal experience where he thinks he was intentionally scammed, then he should of included it in his post so we know it is more than just internet innuendo.

Here are my personal experiences with Optics Planet. I have purchased five binoculars from them over several years. Out of the five, one was returned for a full refund, one was exchanged for the same model and one was exchanged for a different model which is sill in transit. On the last one, the rep applied the original discount to the exchange even though it was past the expiration date. Optics Planet paid the return shipping and the second shipping on all of these transactions. The customer service reps handled the transactions courteously, expeditiously and with respect. The refunds where received in a couple of days of the return. I do not know what else they could have reasonably done to improve the resolution of the issues. All the binocular problems were manufacturing problems and were no fault of Optics Planet. Based on my anecdotal experiences, I feel that Optics Planet is a legitimate operation and have no concerns to continue buying from them.

For what it is worth as an indicator, they are an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. They have a 8.17 score out of 10 (9,210 reviews) with Reseller Ratings as compared to 2.87 for Amazon, 8.97 (806 reviews) for Eagle Optics, and 9.66 (111,649 reviews) for B & H Photo. I think any score on that site of 7 or more is acceptable. Most issues with sellers having a rating of 7 or more are related to processes and procedures and not crooked operations. Most of the negative reviews for Optics Planet relate to shipping issues.

The post indicated that Optics Planet is a bait and switch operation by representing used products as new. The statement was non specific as to the source but I assume Jerry is referring to a post from Nixterdurmus where he purchased a Nikon 20X56 from Optics Planet. If that is the incident, then Jerry is factually incorrect. The refurb binocular was not listed as new but as a demo. It appears they classify refurbs, demos and any other used units as a demo. Nixter rightfully thought this was inappropriate because the Nikon warranty is different for a demo vs a refurb. Optics Planet does have a 30 day return policy and they pay the shipping so that option was available. I agree that it is a poor policy to use such a generic classification but I do not conclude it is a deliberate bait and switch scheme, especially if there is a postage paid return policy. So although the demo classification was not precise, this was not a case of a used item represented as new. If Jerry is referring to a different incident, then the obligation is on him to be specific. Getting the facts correct is important.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...11&postcount=7

Feeding the Beast: Well, we can all have our own definition of "beast" and if it is ethically wrong to buy from them. Best I can tell, Optics Planet, in business for 17 years, has about 100 or more employees. They have at least one physical building consisting of a main office and warehouse, computer hardware and a bunch of inventory filling the warehouse. That appears to be an established business and not an internet fly-by. It also does not sound Amazon beast like to me. The difference I see in the basic business model between them and say B & H Photo, the recently closed Eagle Optics and Camera Land is those three also have a retail store operation. I suspect the internet operation is the major part of those businesses. I do not feel morally corrupt or see any ethical difference in purchasing from Optics Planet or from other similar businesses. If it is wrong to purchase from Optics Planet, then I sure hope Jerry is true to his beliefs and never purchases from Amazon or steps foot into a Walmart because they are definitely more beastly then Optics Planet.

The sellers that I normally look at for optics are Camera Land, B & H Photo, Optics Planet, eBay and Amazon. I feel comfortable dealing with all of them and do not view any of them as illegitimate.

The purpose of my response was not to push or promote Optics Planet but was instead to offer additional information to a post by Jerry which I feel unfairly degrades a seller. My response would have been the same if it were about another vendor such as the ones already mentioned. It is always buyer beware. Everyone needs to do their research and draw their own conclusions.

Some of these companies are small operations and the power of the internet can have a very negative impact on the companies and ultimately the lives of the people that work there. It is important to be responsible in comments.

It is great for folks to call things as they see it but that does not make it right or smart.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

Last edited by BruceH : Friday 29th December 2017 at 03:39. Reason: Word correction

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 28th December 2017, 23:43   #3427
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebeam View Post
Some of the 'so-called' bargains are still ridiculously overpriced.
The best advice is to avoid 'new' glass. And the very best bargains are found at local forums.

There are some good deals on used models. Do you have some good sources to list? My primary areas to look are the classified section of the forum and eBay. Goodwill is also interesting but most of the units are older and in poorer shape than I am interested in. Some of the hunting forums have a classified section which have mainly rifle scopes.

I generally do not post on used models here because each is unique and it can be difficult to gauge the seller and the condition of the optic.

Old Friday 29th December 2017, 14:43   #3428
Nixterdemus

Sure, not to beat a dead horse, but why not chime in, eh? That purchase through OP was not bait-n-switch per se in the traditional sense though it could be argued as transgression unto the letter of the law.

OP decided to interpret Demo/Open-Box/Counter-Display/Purchased-Returned-Within-30-Days/Fixed-Under-Warranty-Refurbished or Examined-Accredited-Fully-Functional as one and the same. Everything revolves around length of warranty and OP leading the consumer to believe they are receiving a value that may or may not exist. The value conveyed is the length of warranty.

OP would have you believe that they purchase Demo and Refurbished, not only at the same price, w/o knowledge of being one or the other. OP claims through action that they purchase "Grab-Bags" guaranteed w/90 day warranty w/some perhaps having full warranty though all sold at value of having full warranty. Howevah, they offer these discounted wares at the higher value of Demo instead of determining if it really is a demo or a refurb hence differing terms of warranty.

They could just as easily offer all as Refurbs, but that is not conducive to increased sales. So, they would rather offer all as Demo shipping out the Grab-Bag whilst accepting full shipping charges both ways. Intent to deceive? Most surely intent not to hamper sales. That's all fine und dandy except that is false advertising. OP claims a mix in Demo/Refurb. I can allege they are all Refurbs using the guise of Demo as a hook to boost sales.

The only way to avoid the shadow of impropriety would be either to offer all as Refurb, all Nikons anyway, or acknowledge shipping random Demo/Refurb mix at the same price. OP will not as that could adversely impact sales, so the slight of hand continues w/well worn out assurance being that you can ship back on their dime.

Now that this line has been crossed how far unto selling Demos as NOS? Same warranty and if we apply the argument offered by Bruce paraphrased, sliced, diced, julienned, rendered, in a nutshell naught matters representation wise unto condition, entwined w/warranty, if shipping is paid both ways by OP should purchaser upon inspection care to return.

OP might screw you if you do not realize the difference in terms of warranty or know what you bargained for upfront. It's known as shoddy salesmanship. No amount of white-washing, due to OP paying shipping both ways, can cover that stain. Pick a hand, left or right, as one of them behind me back may contain a Demo w/full warranty. Regardless, you will receive one or the other. You know multiple people surely must have purchased Demo only to receive Refurb w/o realizing the difference.

As an offense maybe jaywalking. Certainly not a pigeon drop though gambit just the same. Perhaps a rake jaywalking whilst littering contemplating leering at girls. Distasteful scofflaw lacking moral fibre, yet requiring not notification of proper authorities. More of a scourge unto himself or those unfortunate enough to have made more than acquaintance.

More repulsive than raising prices, in order to offer a sale/10% off everything NOW! at these prices, though not bait n switch offering merely two excessively discounted items per store. Knowing full well it will drive substantial traffic to brick n mortars all the while demand greatly exceeding the availability of sale items. Which is illegal.

I may still purchase from OP though I prefer dealing w/Dudley Do-Right over Slim Shady.

Next topic at Bargain Bins:

Protocol in Feeding the Beast: Submission, Inclusion, Collusion, Oppression, Dissension, Subversion, Concession, Disillusion, Conclusion.

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom

Last edited by Nixterdemus : Friday 29th December 2017 at 14:53.
Old Friday 29th December 2017, 16:11   #3429
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Optics Planet NEWYEARS 10% and Other

Optics Planet is ending this year and bringing in the new year with a 10% checkout code of NEWYEARS good on orders of $50 or more.

Friday, December 29 12:00 AM – Tuesday, January 2 12:00 AM CST

Other:

13% off Nikon Aculon binoculars with the code ACULON13. Says good while supply lasts. I picked up an 8X42 during the special Midway USA sale and it has a very good quality center view. It is a great choice to for someone looking for quality optics for the lowest entry price. The 8X42 stands out for the wide FOV.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/get-13-...inoculars.html

12% Off Checkout code SB12 on select optics:

Here is a link to give a general idea of what models might be included. I found that some but not all took the code and I found at least one (Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42) was not shown but the code works. Best advice is to try the SB12 code first before trying the NEWYEARS code for 10%.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/g-spcem...ulars1217.html

It appears that at least some of the Opticron, Vanguard and Zeiss Conquest HD models get the 12%. One to consider is the Imagic which is near the same as the Tract Toric. The code gets the 10X42 for $544.72 which compares to the normal selling price of $664.00 for the Toric. The Imagic includes a basic case.

As an additional bonus, here a couple of ways to increase the savings.

Opticron has a $30 USA mail-in rebate for Natura BGA ED and the Discovery WP PC. There is a $100 mail-in rebate on the DBA VHD. The units must be purchased by end of December 31, 2017.

http://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/special_offers.html

Vanguard also has a rebate offer of $80 to $100 expiring Dec 31, 2017.

https://op2.0ps.us/pdf/opplanet-vang...nomir-2017.pdf

The Opticron and Vanguard rebates appear to apply to all dealers.

Note: Clicking on the below links will display shooting products.

$150 Gift Card ......

In addition to the checkout code, a $150 Optics Planet gift card is automatically added to the basket for some Zeiss Conquest models and the Zeiss FL 8X32 & 10X32.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/get-150...ect-items.html

$100 Gift Cards ......

https://www.opticsplanet.com/get-a-1...ect-items.html

$50 Gift Card .......

https://www.opticsplanet.com/get-a-5...ect-items.html

$25 Gift Card ......

https://www.opticsplanet.com/get-a-2...ect-items.html

Note: If clicking on a link takes you to the Viglink page, scroll part way down and then click on the blue rectangular box on the left side with the Continue To text in order to get to the linked page.

Last edited by BruceH : Friday 29th December 2017 at 20:16. Reason: Title Corrrection

Old Friday 29th December 2017, 16:27   #3430
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Sports Optics 12% Holiday code and Meopta

Sports Optics out of Louisiana has a checkout code of HOLIDAY12 to get a 12% discount. Valid Until December 31, 2017. Some restrictions apply (It did not work on a Swaro that I tested). It did work on a Zeiss SF 8X42.

http://www.sportoptics.com/

Meopta

Looks like Meopta products (Meopro, Meostar, and spotting scope) get 15% off with the checkout code of EURO15. I could not find an expiration date.

There is even a larger discount for the Meopta Meopro 10X32 HD. It is on sale for $399.99. The usual street prices looks to be $549.99.

http://www.sportoptics.com/meopta-me...rs-562530.aspx

Last edited by BruceH : Friday 29th December 2017 at 16:38.

Old Friday 29th December 2017, 17:04   #3431
JerryLogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post
Sure, not to beat a dead horse, but why not chime in, eh? That purchase through OP was not bait-n-switch per se in the traditional sense though it could be argued as transgression unto the letter of the law.

OP decided to interpret Demo/Open-Box/Counter-Display/Purchased-Returned-Within-30-Days/Fixed-Under-Warranty-Refurbished or Examined-Accredited-Fully-Functional as one and the same. Everything revolves around length of warranty and OP leading the consumer to believe they are receiving a value that may or may not exist. The value conveyed is the length of warranty.

OP would have you believe that they purchase Demo and Refurbished, not only at the same price, w/o knowledge of being one or the other. OP claims through action that they purchase "Grab-Bags" guaranteed w/90 day warranty w/some perhaps having full warranty though all sold at value of having full warranty. Howevah, they offer these discounted wares at the higher value of Demo instead of determining if it really is a demo or a refurb hence differing terms of warranty.

They could just as easily offer all as Refurbs, but that is not conducive to increased sales. So, they would rather offer all as Demo shipping out the Grab-Bag whilst accepting full shipping charges both ways. Intent to deceive? Most surely intent not to hamper sales. That's all fine und dandy except that is false advertising. OP claims a mix in Demo/Refurb. I can allege they are all Refurbs using the guise of Demo as a hook to boost sales.

The only way to avoid the shadow of impropriety would be either to offer all as Refurb, all Nikons anyway, or acknowledge shipping random Demo/Refurb mix at the same price. OP will not as that could adversely impact sales, so the slight of hand continues w/well worn out assurance being that you can ship back on their dime.

Now that this line has been crossed how far unto selling Demos as NOS? Same warranty and if we apply the argument offered by Bruce paraphrased, sliced, diced, julienned, rendered, in a nutshell naught matters representation wise unto condition, entwined w/warranty, if shipping is paid both ways by OP should purchaser upon inspection care to return.

OP might screw you if you do not realize the difference in terms of warranty or know what you bargained for upfront. It's known as shoddy salesmanship. No amount of white-washing, due to OP paying shipping both ways, can cover that stain. Pick a hand, left or right, as one of them behind me back may contain a Demo w/full warranty. Regardless, you will receive one or the other. You know multiple people surely must have purchased Demo only to receive Refurb w/o realizing the difference.

As an offense maybe jaywalking. Certainly not a pigeon drop though gambit just the same. Perhaps a rake jaywalking whilst littering contemplating leering at girls. Distasteful scofflaw lacking moral fibre, yet requiring not notification of proper authorities. More of a scourge unto himself or those unfortunate enough to have made more than acquaintance.

More repulsive than raising prices, in order to offer a sale/10% off everything NOW! at these prices, though not bait n switch offering merely two excessively discounted items per store. Knowing full well it will drive substantial traffic to brick n mortars all the while demand greatly exceeding the availability of sale items. Which is illegal.

I may still purchase from OP though I prefer dealing w/Dudley Do-Right over Slim Shady.

Next topic at Bargain Bins:

Protocol in Feeding the Beast: Submission, Inclusion, Collusion, Oppression, Dissension, Subversion, Concession, Disillusion, Conclusion.
Agree that getting a real bargain out of OP can take work and attention. OTOH, it is possible and OP declares on its Demo Product Policy page that “Most DEMO items listed on our site are factory refurbished models while others were previously unpacked and used for testing, display, sampling, training or demonstration purposes.”

So yes, if you’re careless or don’t know exactly what you’re buying there can be a problem but I’ve returned several thousand dollars worth of equipment without a squeak from them and 2nd day credit back to card.

Best,
JerryL
Old Friday 29th December 2017, 17:12   #3432
JerryLogan

Speaking of Meopta

Cabelas is rerunning it’s sale prices on the new model rebranded Meostars.
$675 for the 8x32.
Old Friday 29th December 2017, 17:41   #3433
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLogan View Post
....OP declares on its Demo Product Policy page that “Most DEMO items listed on our site are factory refurbished models while others were previously unpacked and used for testing, display, sampling, training or demonstration purposes.”
Best,
JerryL
Thanks JerryL, good to know!

Your comment gave me the idea to look at their About section and I found this to supplement what I said above .......

"Working from a 110,000 sq. foot campus miles from Chicago and right in America's heartland, OpticsPlanet, Inc. currently employs over 300 employees in its state-of-the-art customer service and fulfillment center."

Last edited by BruceH : Friday 29th December 2017 at 17:46.

Old Friday 29th December 2017, 23:21   #3434
PeterPS

Vixen Foresta 8x42, demo, $109, discounted from 490$:
https://www.mrstarguy.com/Vixen-Fore...-p/rc14513.htm

Units available: 2

I kind of doubt they are really demos, I believe they're NIB----so a good price for a reasonably good pair of binos.

Last edited by PeterPS : Saturday 30th December 2017 at 00:33.
Old Sunday 31st December 2017, 00:47   #3435
Nixterdemus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLogan View Post
Agree that getting a real bargain out of OP can take work and attention. OTOH, it is possible and OP declares on its Demo Product Policy page that “Most DEMO items listed on our site are factory refurbished models while others were previously unpacked and used for testing, display, sampling, training or demonstration purposes.”

So yes, if you’re careless or don’t know exactly what you’re buying there can be a problem but I’ve returned several thousand dollars worth of equipment without a squeak from them and 2nd day credit back to card.

Best,
JerryL
No biggie, yet what other vendor sells refurbs as demos regardless of disclaimer? I consider it common practice to list, at the point of sale, either refurb or demo. Ya think OP changed it around to offer an advantage to the buyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
Vixen Foresta 8x42, demo, $109, discounted from 490$
Discounted from $490? Really?

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom

Last edited by Nixterdemus : Sunday 31st December 2017 at 00:52.
Old Sunday 31st December 2017, 01:12   #3436
NDhunter

Bargain or just a discount.....

Bruce:

I see you are still keeping up your pace of posting discounts. Those are quite common and they
do differ among merchants.

Bargains are another thing entirely and that is hard to determine without careful scrutiny.

I don't see that in many of the posts recently on here, and you are not the only one.

I have purchased from Optics Planet, and regard them as a very good source of many things from
optics to sunglasses.

I do not like spam, and often unsubscribe from those who like to fill my mailbox, with unwanted stuff.

Don't spam me bro. Birdforum is much the same.

Think about that for a minute.

Jerry

Last edited by NDhunter : Sunday 31st December 2017 at 02:06.
Old Sunday 31st December 2017, 01:25   #3437
Nixterdemus

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but if for nothing else perhaps a new thread to help end spam.

Jerr's Bin Bargains Extraordinaire.

Old Sunday 31st December 2017, 05:08   #3438
Highway Dog

Since I read the Bargains thread constantly, I do not find a 10 percent discount that remarkable. I follow too much about discounts that it tires me. I am glad that others find it helpful, but it is surprising.

That StarGuy link is interesting. Looks like all the Vixen binoculars are on sale. Some are more than half off the listed price. Some are about 40% discounted.

I can't seem to get all the Vixen equipment listed at one time. You have to look at Astro equipment, Birding, Marine, and others.

Things that impress me....
"Vixen Geoma 82S Spotting Scope Demo Model" is 269 dollars.
" Vixen Foresta HR 8x32DCF Binocular Demo Model" that looks like the Sightron Blue sky is 109.
"Vixen Artes J 10x42 DCF ED Binocular" looks good for eyeglass wearers. the FoV does not make sense. for 449, kind of a regular price.

"Vixen Ascot 10x50 Binoculars" superwides with mirrors to make about a 85 apparent field of view is a regular price of 200. In the Demo listing is shown as 75 dollars. Another page shows 100 dollars on a different one.
https://www.mrstarguy.com/category-s/1881.htm

This "Vixen Alpina 10x42DCF Binocular Demo No Box" is listed as 115. Would we think it could have been 300?
https://www.mrstarguy.com/Vixen-Alpi...p/rc1442nb.htm

This "Vixen Artes 10.5x45DCF Binocular Demo Model" has a Kamakura look to it.
https://www.mrstarguy.com/Vixen-Arte...-p/rc14532.htm
It seems to have an Abbe-Koenig configuration. It was originally 1600, now 490.

Those of us who like bargains should puzzle over MrStarguy website and see if anything is important.
Rob.
Old Sunday 31st December 2017, 14:04   #3439
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Exclamation

Quote:
...I have purchased from Optics Planet, and regard them as a very good source of many things from optics to sunglasses.

I do not like spam, and often unsubscribe from those who like to fill my mailbox, with unwanted stuff...
Personally, have had good service from OP, with any issues being handled expediently and satisfactorily!

Like Jerry, I also really despise spammers (phone, e-mails, text, etc.). However this thread, stated by Kevin almost 10 yrs ago, has been an invaluable tool for me when looking to get the Most for the Least! I appreciate all who have contributed to spending my piggy bank wisely...especially Bruce, who as Chuck has credited with, been extra helpful in keeping me in the black!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ted

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 31st December 2017, 15:04   #3440
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Bruce:

I see you are still keeping up your pace of posting discounts. Those are quite common and they
do differ among merchants.

Bargains are another thing entirely and that is hard to determine without careful scrutiny.

I don't see that in many of the posts recently on here, and you are not the only one.

I have purchased from Optics Planet, and regard them as a very good source of many things from
optics to sunglasses.

I do not like spam, and often unsubscribe from those who like to fill my mailbox, with unwanted stuff.

Don't spam me bro. Birdforum is much the same.

Think about that for a minute.

Jerry
The thread was originally started by Kevin Purcell, not NDHunter. Here is what the original poster had to say in post number one where he describes what he had in mind for this thread.

"Consider this thread to be like the "binocular ramblings" thread as an ongoing thread to share the "best deals" you've found on the net."

In order to get a better idea for the spirit of a deal, here is one posted by the originator of the thread and it turns out to be an offer from Optics Planet.

"opticsplanet.net 5% coupon MD49EN until May 24th."

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=395

As requested, let me think about that for a minute: Tick, tick, tick, .......

Ok, back. Looks like 10% can be considered a deal in the original spirit of this thread. If a 10% or a 5% savings is the best available, then that is the best deal. Some may consider it a bargain and buy, others may pass.

A 10% discount savings may not be much on a $50 binocular but it is a significant savings on a $2,500 to $3,000 top tier model. There is no way of telling what a reader is considering to buy and what amount is significant for that person. If it is an inexpensive model and the savings is not enough, then the reader can scroll on by. If it does result in a meaningful amount for the reader, then that is great and I suspect the reader was happy to come across the post.

Also keep in mind that the 10% or more savings can be stacked with a model that is also on sale and with any manufacturer rebates. The end result is a deal much more than 10%. Here is an example of stacking that allowed me to buy my new in box Zeiss 10X42 Conquest HD at a 33% savings.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...postcount=2842

Then there are those that buy multiple binoculars over the year. Ten percent may not be a whole lot on one unit purchased, but it can amount to a significant amount over the year when considering everything purchased. Hopefully most can see the bigger picture here.

How about this. Would one be gleeful about saving $100 on a Cabela's Guide when buying, as I recall, a $250 binocular for $150 but then disregard a $295 savings on a Zeiss SF because it only had a 10% savings. Let me think about that for a minute. Tick, tick, tick, .........

Just as we all have are own definition of what is a good binocular, we can all have our own idea of what constitutes a good deal. The expression of either should not be stifled. So as originally described in the first post, some of us will post the "deals" that we find and NDHunter can do the "ramblings".

Old Sunday 31st December 2017, 16:41   #3441
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

I kinda wished I had bought those 8X32 Terra EDs for $200. I gave away the Cabela's Guide 8X32 and a Kaufman guide yesterday!

Those two are great binoculars one can afford to give away and KNOW the recipient is getting a quality product.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 31st December 2017, 17:41   #3442
gunut
Registered Offender

Chuck;
The 8x32 Terra was put back on sale at B&H......199.95 TYD
I ordered one to give to my BIL.....Spreading the virus.....

Last edited by gunut : Sunday 31st December 2017 at 17:43.
Old Monday 1st January 2018, 15:13   #3443
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut View Post
Chuck;
The 8x32 Terra was put back on sale at B&H......199.95 TYD
I ordered one to give to my BIL.....Spreading the virus.....
Ok THANKS! I thought that sale was long gone! I'll check it out...

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd January 2018, 14:10   #3444
justabirdwatcher

Bruce, don't sweat it. Ignore the haters and keep on doing what you're doing. I don't see your posts as anything but helpful. We're all educated consumers and decide for ourselves what a "bargain" is or isn't, and that will be different for all of us and will change from week to week and year to year.

If I were you, I'd exercise the "ignore" option for a few members and keep on truckin'
Old Tuesday 2nd January 2018, 19:18   #3445
David in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabirdwatcher View Post
Bruce, don't sweat it. Ignore the haters and keep on doing what you're doing. I don't see your posts as anything but helpful. We're all educated consumers and decide for ourselves what a "bargain" is or isn't, and that will be different for all of us and will change from week to week and year to year.

If I were you, I'd exercise the "ignore" option for a few members and keep on truckin'

Agreed. ESPECIALLY with all these companies going to MAP pricing, 5% or 10% off is a big deal, sometimes, as in the case of flagship bins.

Hoping to retire by the end of 2018! So I can turn around and start my next career... (?)
Old Tuesday 2nd January 2018, 21:58   #3446
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Possible Nikon Monarh HG 8X42 Deal

First ....

Ted, JustaBirdWatcher and David .... Thanks for the support, it is really appreciated. It is good to know you see value in the promotion notices.

Just for the fun of it, I went over my 2017 Optics Planet purchases to see what the codes (all of which I posted) saved me for the year ended. Of the three models purchased and not returned, the savings from the coupon codes came to $201. That is not a fortune, but it will buy me a lot of gasoline to go out and get some nice birding views at my local riparian spots using my new binoculars!

Second .....

Here is a possible good buy on a Nikon Monarch HG 8X42 for some. While looking up the 2017 Optics Planet invoices on their site, I accidently clicked on the line item for the 8x42 Monarch HG that I had bought earlier in the year and ended up on the product page. The price was much less than the normal selling price of $979 when not logged in .

Optics Planet has a VIP system where if you are logged into your account, the prices for some items may be less than what is shown when not logged in. That may be what happened here.

Anyway, I passed because I have one. Then I logged in again to confirm some stuff before posting and again ended up on the Monarch page. This time the savings was even more.

I am not sure what the sellers policies are on this and how it relates to vendor agreements so I think it is best not to publicly post specific amounts. I also do not know if their system offers different pricing to different folks depending on their history so I do not know if someone else will get the same numbers that I got. Just let me say if you are seriously interested in this model and have an account, then it may be will worth you while to log in and see what shows up. The ending price was better than what I paid previously and that was a good price.

I have no idea how this will work for others. Maybe the low price came up because my history shows one already purchased or maybe it is a system glich. Beats me. It did not work for the 10X42. Tthat is what has me wondering if it is looking at my history. If you are an established Forum member, then it would be ok if you want to PM me about it.

Last edited by BruceH : Wednesday 3rd January 2018 at 06:31. Reason: Added a word

Old Wednesday 3rd January 2018, 01:12   #3447
marinemaster

Is that Nikon 16027 model ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wednesday 3rd January 2018, 01:49   #3448
pbjosh

I don't know what you might have paid Bruce but I created an acct and logged in and saw a pretty good price offered. I don't need those bins but they sure are good for the money and that's an excellent price.
Old Wednesday 3rd January 2018, 02:26   #3449
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

marinemaster - Yes, the listing I am looking at shows "MPN: 16027". 2 left.

Pbjosh - Thanks for the confirmation.

You can get a small extra discount by entering a discount code NEWYYEARS. It should come back with a message that the code is invalid but will then hopefully give an alternative code for 5% more.

Last edited by BruceH : Wednesday 3rd January 2018 at 02:29.

Old Wednesday 3rd January 2018, 12:14   #3450
Coin Hound

Weaver Grand Slam 7x42

Natchez has this on sale for $129. Japanese build--decent 7x42--same as Bushnell Discoverer from previous posts?

Are these the same as the Leupold Hawthorne's? Same design, country of manufacture (Japan). We'll see.

7x42s are not common--
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: