Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular bargains

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Friday 26th January 2018, 00:33   #3476
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Doug of Cameraland posted a quick note on another site that Meopta has reduced the price of their binoculars.

As an example, the Meopta MeoStar 10X42 HD is now $999.95.

http://cameralandny.com/products.htm...ance&x=18&y=14

This model is supposed to be the same as the Cabela's Instinct Euro HD 10X42 other than styling and the shape of the focus knob. The normal Cabela's price is $1,299.99. Cabela's does put it on sale a few times a year for $899.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti...8.uts?slotId=7

Personal opinion, but the styling of the Meopta is nicer looking than the recent restyling done by Cabela's.

The price on the Meopta right at the moment for B & H Photo and Adorama is $1,189.99.

Doug also mentioned a reduction on the MeoPro line of binoculars. I do not know about the scopes.
Bruce:

Thanks for the updates, Doug at Cameraland is a great place to purchase
optics.

The new Cabela's Instinct is in the running for the ugly binocular styling
award. That has been mentioned in another post.

Jerry
Old Friday 26th January 2018, 12:17   #3477
cycleguy

Cabelas has the old Swarovski CL 8x30 and 10x30 on sale - $779.88 & $849.88. Nothing I'm interested in but figure someone else might be....

I have no affiliation with Cabelas other than being a customer for the last three decades or so.

CG
Old Friday 2nd February 2018, 15:41   #3478
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Optics Planet 10% Off Superbowl PUNT Coupon Code

Optics Planet has a 10% Off coupon code promotion going on right now. It requires a $50 minimum order. The offer ends 2/5/18 at 11:59 PM CST.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/g-spcem...v_gridSize=120

This stacks well with some other promotions on the site.

They are offering Optics Planet gift cards with some products. For example, a $150 card is added to the shopping cart for Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42 and 8X42 models along with the Zeiss FL 8X32 and other models. This is in addition to the 10% discount.

Optics Planet has a VIP pricing program where lower prices appear when the shopper is logged into their account. (I am not sure if a purchasing history is required.) The 10% discount looks to apply to the lower prices.

Here is a great deal on a Nikon Monarch HG 8X42. B & H price is $969.76.75. Optics Planet VIP pricing is $868.99. Final price after the PUNT code is $782.09 with free shipping. There is also a great VIP deal on the Opticron Imagic 8X42 BGA VHD which is equivalent to the Tract Toric. There are other models besides these. One will have to log on and check to see if there is VIP pricing on anything they are interested in.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 4th February 2018, 00:07   #3479
JerryLogan

Midway has posted some nice looking demo scopes and binoculars from Swarvoski.

Best,
Jerry
Old Saturday 10th February 2018, 13:45   #3480
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Optics Planet 13 Percent Off Code

Checkout code VIEW13 gets 13 percent off many models. Ends February 14, 2018, 11:59 central time. Gift cards are still automatically added with some models.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 11th February 2018, 14:31   #3481
[email protected]
Forum Member

If you add the Honey Extension to your browser it will automatically apply the best coupon code at checkout. No more searching for the best coupon codes.

https://www.joinhoney.com/page/h1c-y...t=H1C-Y&from=r

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 11th February 2018 at 22:55.
Old Sunday 11th February 2018, 14:36   #3482
[email protected]
Forum Member

Here is a LNIB Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 for $550.00 with free shipping on Astromart. Good Deal!

https://www.astromart.com/classified...fied_id=970903

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 11th February 2018 at 15:11.
Old Sunday 11th February 2018, 15:08   #3483
[email protected]
Forum Member

Here is a good price on the New Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion Binocular (Green / Wild Nature) for $1159.0 or Best Offer with free shipping from Focus Camera which is a good dealer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-8...MAAOSw8H1acLJD

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 11th February 2018 at 15:11.
Old Sunday 11th February 2018, 15:54   #3484
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here is a good price on the New Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion Binocular (Green / Wild Nature) for $1159.0 or Best Offer with free shipping from Focus Camera which is a good dealer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-8...MAAOSw8H1acLJD
Thanks Dennis! Although Specs appear to be of the older model, the bay sale does state the MN as 86135 (the New CL Companion). B&H has it for the same price and all pics and specs are of the correct model!

Ted

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 11th February 2018, 16:23   #3485
[email protected]
Forum Member

Your welcome. I am sure it is the new model at Focus Camera. I bet they would accept an offer of $1100.00.

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 11th February 2018 at 16:28.
Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 19:47   #3486
black crow

Didn't look too far back to see if someone put this up but here a great deal IMO on the Vanguard Endeavor ED and EDII. With the $80 rebate the EDs are $154.99 at BHPhoto I've never owned a pair but from a lot of great reviews I might get them at that price. Even though don't like to carry anything over a 32mm. Isn't that silly? Conspicuous consumption. I can't help it though. I get a lot of pleasure out of testing new optics. I'm not even good at it and I still love it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Binocular.html

Last edited by black crow : Wednesday 14th February 2018 at 21:38.
Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 22:17   #3487
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out
BF Supporter 2018

Vanguard Endeavor ED 10x42

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
Didn't look too far back to see if someone put this up but here a great deal IMO on the Vanguard Endeavor ED and EDII. With the $80 rebate the EDs are $154.99 at BHPhoto I've never owned a pair but from a lot of great reviews I might get them at that price. Even though don't like to carry anything over a 32mm. Isn't that silly? Conspicuous consumption. I can't help it though. I get a lot of pleasure out of testing new optics. I'm not even good at it and I still love it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Binocular.html
Hey good catch, Mr Crow! What the heck, I haven't tried that one before, except in 8x, so why not for this price?! I think you should try some kind of harness, whether it be a Rick Young, Vortex side sling, or other harness for the heavier ones. You probably will be happier with any binocular while hiking with one than without.

But enjoy your BSII 8x32's any where you carry them-not much of a burden, for sure. And I hope you found a nice 10x in the Endeavors-me too! Always fun to try new ones on for view and fit, especially at great prices-which seem to be there, as long as you wait for them to show up thanks to the reporters that keep us up to date here in this thread!

I'm sure there is something to the upper echelons of binoculars, from $1K to $2K and above, but I don't think it's as much fun as trying these modern bargains in the offering when they come up. But hey, you play where you are comfortable playing, low or high, and find your niche by doing so.

Thanks for the heads up BC, and I hope you found another bin you will cherish using where you may go. I wish I could spend some time there with you-it sounds like a great place to be! But to tell you the truth, sometimes I am just happy to have a window to lookout on the world, and not stress my body when it is hurting. We all have that zone where we live and play. I am impressed with your travails given your body's protests-good for you, and keep it up-it can only help make things better for you! Blaze that trail and see and smell the world up close! There's nothing better, in my opinion!

Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 23:02   #3488
black crow

Now now, I haven't gone for it yet.lol.

I do have three harnesses. I even use them on my 32mms. It's a very comfortable way to carry when you hike for hours. I love having Blue Sky's back but I love all my bins. I feel like I'm missing a piece of clothing if I go out without a pair.

My friend I know what it's like to have your body hurt. Before they got my opiate meds worked out there was a time I couldn't walk more than a few blocks. I got very depressed. Almost suicidally when I thought about life without hiking with my dogs. However a friend walked my dogs for awhile and I did what you say. I sat on my upper deck and looked for elk and coyotes and read some books. Then I got lucky and talked a doc into trying opiates for polyneuropathy. It was the first thing that worked and I've been walking ever since and I try not to miss even one day out because I know now it's all hanging by a thread. Every step has some pain to it but the opiates take the edge off and I've learned how to use my mind to "forget" the pain. It's there when I stop to think about it but when I get looking around and watching the dogs and moving my brain forgets it.

I do hope you find ways to cope with whatever pain you have to deal with and enjoy your binos wherever you are. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I appreciate it.
Old Thursday 15th February 2018, 01:12   #3489
gunut
Registered Offender

hope the government doesn't decide to ban them because some Xholes have to misuse them.....
Old Thursday 15th February 2018, 03:46   #3490
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
Now now, I haven't gone for it yet.lol.

I do have three harnesses. I even use them on my 32mms. It's a very comfortable way to carry when you hike for hours. I love having Blue Sky's back but I love all my bins. I feel like I'm missing a piece of clothing if I go out without a pair.

My friend I know what it's like to have your body hurt. Before they got my opiate meds worked out there was a time I couldn't walk more than a few blocks. I got very depressed. Almost suicidally when I thought about life without hiking with my dogs. However a friend walked my dogs for awhile and I did what you say. I sat on my upper deck and looked for elk and coyotes and read some books. Then I got lucky and talked a doc into trying opiates for polyneuropathy. It was the first thing that worked and I've been walking ever since and I try not to miss even one day out because I know now it's all hanging by a thread. Every step has some pain to it but the opiates take the edge off and I've learned how to use my mind to "forget" the pain. It's there when I stop to think about it but when I get looking around and watching the dogs and moving my brain forgets it.

I do hope you find ways to cope with whatever pain you have to deal with and enjoy your binos wherever you are. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I appreciate it.
Heh, I know what you mean there, black crow! When I'm out enjoying nature, so often I would not feel any pain either, and I wasn't trying to forget it, but I guess I am so engrossed in being in nature that it breaks the connection to it, and I sometimes am very surprised when I realize it.

Right now I'm just on the tail end of some wicked Shingles I had since mid December, but my other arthritis and/or back muscular pain has been keeping me down for a while now. I was even on some Oxy for a while too, and another pain med, but weaned off of those for now. Haven't been out in the woods for a long while, but I did manage a walk down and around the block the other week when I felt OK, and funny-no pain outside when I walked slow and stopped to observe, and rest, sitting on a step for a while in mild weather. I thought it was marvelous to see some dark green moss colony growing on a sidewalk-curb crack, right across from where I sat and thought it was great! I think I need to get out more! ; )

Well, I went for the Vanguards for that price with the $80 rebate, thanks to your finding the deal! I like 10x for most viewing I do, other than woods walking, and had a pair of the 8x Endeavors once, so I would like to see how the 10's do compared to a couple of others now. So, thank you!

Old Thursday 15th February 2018, 13:48   #3491
gunut
Registered Offender

I think you will be happy with the Vanguards....Did you get the ED or EDII edition...I have one of the 10.5x45 ED that they discontinued when they came out with the EDII....they are bright, sharp, well made....the EDII is supposed to control CA better than the ED model....but the minor CA I see in mine now and then isn't really distracting.......
Old Thursday 15th February 2018, 16:52   #3492
black crow

Quote:
Well, I went for the Vanguards for that price with the $80 rebate, thanks to your finding the deal! I like 10x for most viewing I do, other than woods walking, and had a pair of the 8x Endeavors once, so I would like to see how the 10's do compared to a couple of others now. So, thank you!
Great, I'm still on the fence so I'll be waiting for your evaluation once you have them in hand.

I've owned more than a dozen pair of bins but believe it or not I've never owned a 42mm. I have a 50mm a 56 mm a 100mm and most all the smaller sizes but but not the elusive 42mm, which is likely the most common size.
Old Thursday 15th February 2018, 17:46   #3493
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out
BF Supporter 2018

Vanguard Endeavor ED 10x42 deal

I still think they are a good deal, but I decided to un-buy them after reading the posts and reviews on them again. It's been a while since I did, but it seems there is one thing most people agree on, and that they (both 8x&10x) have a problem with too much CA, or chromatic aberration: neon like colors (yellow and/or magenta) when viewing dark objects against a bright sky.

My main viewing area from the apartment is usually in bright light, so I think that might bother me too much now that I don't see it much with my others. I do remember seeing it a little when I had an 8x before, though I can't say it was there all the time, just once in a while. So maybe I will be missing out on a good deal, but after you buy and try so many times, it gets old, having to return them if they don't suit you.

And, I did get in on a deal for the Bushnell Legend M 10x42's that are really great, so I think they will do for a take anywhere bin that perform above their bargain prices recently like the 8x deal that was (might still be on Ebay) around too. I haven't noticed any CA yet in these, and if there weren't those numerous reports about it on the Endeavor, I would have done it, just to know how they perform in comparison.

Hey, I might even do it anyway if I get thinking about it too much! I know I liked how they were put together, and generally how nice the optics were. ; )

PS There is no hurry to order these by the way (if you want to think about it and research a bit), as I just called B&H to find out how many they have in stock, and the agent told me they have many. The rebate is the limiting factor, and that ends March 31 to purchase, and it has to be mailed by April 30th.

Last edited by bluespiderweb : Thursday 15th February 2018 at 18:08. Reason: To add PS

Old Thursday 15th February 2018, 20:15   #3494
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2018

Since we're on this topic, I'll chime in with my recent experience with Endeavors.
I bought two. 8x32 EDII and 10x42 EDII. With rebates the 8x32s were $200, net, and the 10x42s were $300, net.

The 8x32s are very good generally, show very little CA, have good contrast and are pretty sharp. The focus on my first pair of these was rubbery and had stiction issues, like the O-rings were dry. These were exchanged and the replacements were fine with the exception of a bit of play transitioning direction when focusing. Not great but also not too objectionable. Eye relief is a bit too long for me (w/o glasses) but that's pretty typical these days and I deal with it. Hinge has just the right amount of tension; stays put but adjusts smoothly. Eye cups are multi position and stay put as well with good resistance.

Overall a very good value IMO.

The 10x42s were, frankly, brilliant in all aspects except CA. Very comfortable viewing with great contrast and sharpness. Perfect focus action, smooth and moderately damped. Eye relief was bingo perfect for me w/o glasses. Build quality seems excellent and they even balance and hold well for 42mm bins.
They were returned however.
Primary reason was the CA. I'm usually not too fussy about this, but unfortunately it reared it's ugly head way too often with these bins. Not bad down the middle mind you, but starting just off axis and getting much worse toward the edge of field. The second, more minor, reason I returned them was I can only use 10 or greater power bins any more with the aid of a mono or tri pod.

Still an amazing value and if not viewing against bright sky deliver an exceptional image.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Thursday 15th February 2018 at 22:37.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 15th February 2018, 23:51   #3495
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out
BF Supporter 2018

Vanguard Endeavors-how do they work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
Since we're on this topic, I'll chime in with my recent experience with Endeavors.
I bought two. 8x32 EDII and 10x42 EDII. With rebates the 8x32s were $200, net, and the 10x42s were $300, net.

The 8x32s are very good generally, show very little CA, have good contrast and are pretty sharp. The focus on my first pair of these was rubbery and had stiction issues, like the O-rings were dry. These were exchanged and the replacements were fine with the exception of a bit of play transitioning direction when focusing. Not great but also not too objectionable. Eye relief is a bit too long for me (w/o glasses) but that's pretty typical these days and I deal with it. Hinge has just the right amount of tension; stays put but adjusts smoothly. Eye cups are multi position and stay put as well with good resistance.

Overall a superb value IMO.

The 10x42s were, frankly, brilliant in all aspects except CA. Very comfortable viewing with great contrast and sharpness. Perfect focus action, smooth and moderately damped. Eye relief was bingo perfect for me w/o glasses. Build quality seems excellent and they even balance and hold well for 42mm bins.
They were returned however.
Primary reason was the CA. I'm usually not too fussy about this, but unfortunately it reared it's ugly head way too often with these bins. Not bad down the middle mind you, but starting just off axis and getting much worse toward the edge of field. The second, more minor, reason I returned them was I can only use 10 or greater power bins any more with the aid of a mono or tri pod.

Still an amazing value and if not viewing against bright sky deliver an exceptional image.
Thanks Kevin, that's very helpful to potential buyers, I'm sure. Too many reports of CA in the 10x42 ED's is what kept me from ordering those, even with the good deal now with the $80 rebate, and $150 cost after. Yes, some people are not as sensitive to it, and they are lucky for that, or maybe thier usage is not under those conditions mostly. So for them, yes, they are a good bin at a good discount like they are now. But if you see it, it is quite distracting. So, according to your report, even the EDII's didn't improve that much it seems for Chromatic Aberration. That is a real shame, and I would say inexcusable for a manufacturer (or rebranding company) to ignore, especially the second time around. I think that is an indicator of their business model, and I won't support it now, hearing this about the next generation EDII Vanguard Endeavors having the same problem. It's a shame; they have something good there, except for that one major flaw. Maybe it is not cost effective to fix, but that still leaves us with a product that delivers less than adequate performance for a lot of users, because of it.

Right, nothing is perfect in this world of ours, but we have to pick and choose what works for us or doesn't. I really would love to hear from people that these work for, without any notice of a problem. I wonder under what conditions that they do work well. Maybe low light-which my original ED 8x42's seemed to have a great view there, though it wasn't a scientific observation at all. Just a gut feeling that they were working very well in those lighting conditions. But I did see a little CA on occasion too, but I wouldn't say it was so intrusive I couldn't use them. Maybe that is the point-if it works for you, without great distraction, then it works for you! The only way to know, is to try for yourself though. That's why buying from a known seller with a return policy is so necessary.

It does seem a particularly a hard product to get right in engineering and production; the binocular. Mechanical problems seem to be the norm, where more sophisticated items that are more electronic in nature work better without the glitches sometimes than their mechanical relatives. Like any camera today vs the mechanical ones of times past, which would go out of adjustment over time, and need an overhaul to make them right again. Mechanical shutters were not very reliable, without regular service it would seem. I did work for a camera shop in the repair dept for a little while, and saw a lot of repairs at the tail end of the film cameras, which was my niche playing with and using them, and learning how to repair some of them as well.

That is just another life and binocular use story with the Endeavors, and one not everyone can relate to, nor embrace, naturally. It's just my story, even though it's just highlights of my experiences with the Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x42 and hoping the 10x would be better in that regard, or just work so well for other situations to let it slide for CA. But I do think they should have gotten it together for the EDII at least, and corrected that significant problem and moved on to a better product for all.

I imagine the economy and cost of doing business today got in the way of ideals, and we were left with the results. Not great, but good enough for some of us possibly? I'd like to hear that from some users, if it is true. Oh well, enough rambling-time for a nap!

Last edited by bluespiderweb : Friday 16th February 2018 at 04:04. Reason: tmi

Old Friday 16th February 2018, 00:41   #3496
black crow

Well I read a awful lot of positive reviews on Amazon and some of the warehouses without much mention of CA issues And also this review https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.co...avorED-106.htm

Now I don't know what to think. Bluespiderweb where did you see those bad reviews? I'd like to read what they have to say.
Old Friday 16th February 2018, 04:00   #3497
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out
BF Supporter 2018

CA discussions Vanguard Endeavor

Hi black crow, yes, I know-sometimes on Amazon reviews about binoculars are done by people that know little about them, other than how bright or sharp they look to them, and nothing about what most guys on birdforum are accustomed to looking for in flaws and such in the optics. So you will see more positive reviews there and other websites that more novices post their reviews.

Here is the link to the post I was reading here on Birdforum, and if you go down to post #33, bh lists 3 other links to other discussions about the CA problem with them.:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....vanguard+10x42

But, like I said too, there may be times when you see none at all, in some regular use, especially if you're not looking up in the sky at branches, or dark objects against snow, etc-any high contrast situation. And then they could be a fine pair for regular observation. So yes, maybe we are more critical here, and Cloudy Nights, etc. If it doesn't bother you to see it, then it's not a problem either! ; ) Otherwise it sounds like the optics are very good.

But it's just like Kevin said above about his experiences with the Vanguards-in post #3494, 3 above this one.

Last edited by bluespiderweb : Friday 16th February 2018 at 04:16. Reason: add info

Old Friday 16th February 2018, 06:42   #3498
black crow

I disregard a lot of reviews on Amazon but there was about 500+ if I remember and the at BH warehouse about 50 and also the BBB review I linked to. I've use that reviewers advice on other binocular purchases and been very satisfied with his advice and so I have some some faith in him. But this place is in a league of its own and I don't presume to think many here don't know what they're talking about and I do know I'm nowhere near as critical or knowledgable as most posting here. And let's remember we are talking about very inexpensive binoculars. I don't expect perfection for around $150. With that rebate you might have a hard time doing better. Maybe Carson but I can't think of many others that get good reviews in that price range. If I really would use a 42mm I'd risk it at that bargain price but the truth is I don't like to use anything over 36mm that I'll be carrying.

I read your link and thanks for finding it, there were only a few that noticed a CA problem and a lot who did not. It's hard to find a 100% positive in reviews anywhere and especially in the non Alpha bins. I'd really like to check them out myself and see who I end up agreeing with but that's just going to have to be another one of those unanswered questions my life is plagued with. What I really want is a good pair of 10x32 to 36mm for under $400. Those Celestron's I bought as a gift were pretty darn good actually for under $200. I might end up buying a pair for myself if I don't find anything else. Those guys were really small and I liked the feel of them in the hand and at the eye.

Last edited by black crow : Friday 16th February 2018 at 06:53.
Old Friday 16th February 2018, 07:32   #3499
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out
BF Supporter 2018

Yes, agreed, for $150 it's still a great deal, and I will add for most viewing, the optics in the Vanguard Endeavor ED should please most people. I'd like to try them myself.

Good luck with your search for the 10x32!

Old Friday 16th February 2018, 22:18   #3500
Upland

LL Bean has 25% off sitewide this weekend which includes all their Nikon optics. Unfortunately they only have Monarch through 7s ( no HGs☹️) and Swaros are not included. I ordered a pair of Prostaff 3S 10x42s for the car. They have a 367’ fov and weigh 20 oz. Not a bad deal for $98!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: