Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular bargains

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Thursday 14th July 2011, 15:51   #876
gwsudiro
x-frost

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinoBoy View Post
Thanks for pointing these out Galih!

I've ordered a pair, but it wasn't easy. I called on the 12th and talked to Neil. Doug was out of the office and Neil had not heard anything about this. I called back on the 13th and talked to his assistant. She said that they would have them next week. I called back today and talked to Neil again. He still wasn't aware of them, but he talked to his boss and found out that they were only going to get them if someone ordered them.

I don't know what the serial number range will be, but this is a great price! They are selling for $450 or more used. They're also getting hard to find.

Thanks again Galih!
Mark
yow Mark, youre welcome!

later I received email from Doug, there are demos 10x42 and 12x50 SE too...but the prices was kinda weird, I thought it was a typo (because 10x42 SE was more expensive than 12x50 SE although the prices actually very interesting.. hehe)

so I mailed back, asked if those were correct price, but no answer til now...maybe they've been busy..

I think you should check those out if you interested in bigger SE Mark!

congrats and enjoy your new SE!

best regards
Galih

Last edited by gwsudiro : Thursday 14th July 2011 at 16:02.
Old Thursday 14th July 2011, 16:49   #877
BinoBoy

Neil says they can get the 12x50 for $499.99. That's about what used ones go for.

Mark
Old Thursday 14th July 2011, 16:53   #878
gwsudiro
x-frost

Thumbs up

Quote:
Neil says they can get the 12x50 for $499.99. That's about what used ones go for.

Mark
hoo...so it's true Mark, $499.99 for 12x50 and $619.99 for the 10x42...

strange..but wow! hahahaha!!
Old Thursday 14th July 2011, 17:08   #879
BinoBoy

Swarovski SLC HD 8x42

For those of you who missed out on the L.L. Bean 30% off coupon, Amazon Warehouse has a pair of customer returned Swarovski SLC HD 8x42 for $1328.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

They say that they are in like new condition with minor cosmetic issues. I've bought bins before that were described as having cosmetic flaws and I couldn't find them. They would still be warrantied as new, I think.

Mark
Old Thursday 14th July 2011, 18:30   #880
Bob A (SD)

Quote:
Mark

That's a GREAT price! I always wanted a pair of those and now that I can afford them I can't hold 'em steady :( I'm forced to go no higher than 9x (and that's a stretch) in my old age.

So for mounted optics I'm sticking with telescopes.....

Bins: Swaro 7x42 B SLC; ZenRay 7x36 ED2; Pentax 8x32DCF-WP/9x21UCF; Minox BD6.5x32 IF; Leupold GR 9x35IF/8x30Yosemite; Dakota 7x28; Binolux 7x35s 11 & 10.5; ZOMZ 6x30 12.5
Old Saturday 16th July 2011, 02:06   #881
FrankD

Noticed this one on the popular auction site.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-PREMIER-8X...item5193c426bd

Not sure what the 8x32 LXLs have been going for these days but $650 seems like a pretty good deal.

Edit:

...and actually, after looking through the seller's online store, it appears he has quite a few good deals. How about a 8x42 or 10x42 LXL for $800 (wrong picture attached but the specs in the description are accurate for the LXL). $160 for the original Bushnel Legend 8x42 (originally over $300). 8x42 Legend Ultra HD for $199. How about a 7x42 Nikon EDG for $1299? $999 for a Nikon Fieldscope 82 ED!

Last edited by FrankD : Saturday 16th July 2011 at 02:18.
Old Saturday 16th July 2011, 03:29   #882
Highway Dog

I have enjoyed Scopestop's deals before! I got a wonderful Minox BD 7x42 from that seller. I also believe I got a good deal on a Minox Porro too. (That was before the recent reductions of that model.) That seller has been reliable to me.
Rob.
Old Saturday 16th July 2011, 17:07   #883
TFM70

http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Spiri.../dp/B001N44CQU

Any thoughts on these? Junk possibly?
$51.48 plus free shipping

Last edited by TFM70 : Saturday 16th July 2011 at 17:10.
Old Saturday 16th July 2011, 19:37   #884
jr.samples

Vanguard Spirit 8x36

I bought a pair for my kids. Definitely not junk and definitely worth the price.
The camo one felt too slippery but the green one was acceptable. Fast focus-only one turn from stop to stop. I may order a second pair at this price.

Last edited by jr.samples : Saturday 16th July 2011 at 19:41.
Old Saturday 16th July 2011, 20:02   #885
TFM70

I went ahead and ordered a pair to keep in my truck.
Old Monday 18th July 2011, 22:33   #886
jr.samples

Thumbs up Swarovski SLC 8x42 HD

I order the open box Swarovski SLC 8x42 HDs from Amazon referred to above. They came today. I was expecting that something would be wrong with them, but they appear to be in new condition, except that it is apparent that someone opened the box which is slightly ripped. Right now, I'm feeling like I got a pretty good deal for approximately $1,330.00. I plan to compare them against some more reasonably priced binoculars, such as the Vanguard Spirit ED 8x42, the Eagle Ranger 8x42 and the Vortex Viper 8x42 HD. I realize that the Swarovski should be better, but that might be lost on me. However, I sort of feel like the Swarovskis were such a great deal I should probably keep them anyway.
Old Monday 18th July 2011, 22:43   #887
birdazzLED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM70 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Spiri.../dp/B001N44CQU

Any thoughts on these? Junk possibly?
$51.48 plus free shipping
What's the deal with: Price: $51.48 - $199.99? Looking at the price chart, there are only two price offerings and it doesn't say what is included such as phase coating. The list prices are obviously inflated. Amazon does that often.

edit: ok I selected the green one but the features didn't change. When offering a wide price range it leaves one to believe certain features are not included and it's more confusing when it reads as such:

Quote:
P2 Phase Coating: When treated with VANGUARD P2 Phase coating the BaK-4 prisms offer crystal clear images and high resolution. This coating has been specially developed to provide enhanced image clarity and true color reproduction.

Last edited by birdazzLED : Monday 18th July 2011 at 22:53.
Old Monday 18th July 2011, 23:38   #888
jr.samples

Thumbs up Vanguard Spirit 8x36 8360

I bought them from Amazon for $52.00 or so. According to the box, they have BaK4 prisms, P2 phase coating, Hydro-guard coating on the objective lens, an Emerald coating on the objective lens and it also says fully multi-coated. They also have a limited lifetime warranty, but it doesn't appear to cover accidents.

I'm no binocular expert and was somewhat skeptical when I ordered them, but I figured that if I didn't like them I could ship them back within 30 days and I would only be out the return shipping. When I received them I was quite pleasantly surprised with what I got for my money.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2011, 01:52   #889
brownpelican1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.samples View Post
I bought them from Amazon for $52.00 or so. According to the box, they have BaK4 prisms, P2 phase coating, Hydro-guard coating on the objective lens, an Emerald coating on the objective lens and it also says fully multi-coated. They also have a limited lifetime warranty, but it doesn't appear to cover accidents.

I'm no binocular expert and was somewhat skeptical when I ordered them, but I figured that if I didn't like them I could ship them back within 30 days and I would only be out the return shipping. When I received them I was quite pleasantly surprised with what I got for my money.
I ordered a pair also. I'm not expecting Swaro performance for $52 bucks but (and take this with a grain or two of salt) the folks at the Cape May Bird Observatory rated the Vanguard Spirit 8x36 number 31 in a field of 63 bins tested. This was a rather un-scientific survey but non-the-less it indicates a level of quality that should be pleasing considering the $52 dollar price tag.
I'll comment on my impressions of the Vanguard when it arrives.
Tom
Old Tuesday 19th July 2011, 02:16   #890
FrankD

Well, you guys got me thinking a bit after seeing the Spirit posts above. I will be honest, if it was an 8x42 instead of an 8x36 then I probably would have pulled the proverbial trigger and ordered one. I didn't.

However, I did go on Amazon and searched for "8x42 binoculars" and then sorted by price. On the low end of the price scale was the Barska Huntmaster 8x42s. They look quite a bit like the Swift Reliant and the Zhumell Short Barrels I tried a few months back. They do advertise a water-repellant coating and phase coating on the roof prisms plus, and get this, they are currently on Amazon for $29.

So I ordered one. I don't have a lot of faith in Barska after having some bad experiences with some of their optics previously but then I had similar bad experiences with Vanguard as well.

Still, I will wait and see what happens when they arrive. I will say that I do enjoy these ultracompact 8x42s...at least the way they feel in my hand. ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/Barska-Huntmas...1041747&sr=8-2
Old Tuesday 19th July 2011, 02:24   #891
brownpelican1

Regarding birdazzLED's post #888:

Both Optics Planet and Gander Mountain list the Vanguard Spirit 8x36 (model 8360) on their websites and indicate that model 8360 has the P2 phase coating.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2011, 03:22   #892
jr.samples

Amazon's Return Policy

One of the nice things about Amazon is their return policy. Just try to keep everything in order so you can put it all back in the original packaging and if you don't like them, just send them back. You'll have to pay the return shipping which is only a few dollars. The return shipping for me has never exceeded $7.00 for a pair of binoculars and I've sent 3 pairs back. The refunds have always been very prompt, as well. I know that other optics dealers have the same sort of policy. If you see a good deal it's worth risking the cost of return shipping to give them a try. I wouldn't have ordered the Vanguard Spirit 8x36 or the open box Swarovski SLC 8x42 HD if not for the return policy.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2011, 15:59   #893
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Noticed this one on the popular auction site.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-PREMIER-8X...item5193c426bd

Not sure what the 8x32 LXLs have been going for these days but $650 seems like a pretty good deal...
Here was even a better deal, a mint condition 8x42 Premier for $595.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

B & H had a used (9 condition) 8x42 Premier for $449 for sale (for 60 seconds) last week. I was almost tempted! Could have flipped those babies for $100 more if they were in decent shape. The softer armoring on the Premier (or at least HGL, not sure if they changed their armoring on the Premier) shows wear a lot quicker than the tougher skinned HG.

I would have jumped on either of those and kept them for myself if I were immune to "rolling ball" and not sensitive to CA, though the full sized eights seemed to have less CA than the midsized I tried. They also have better depth perception and 3-D effect and are easier to for me to hold.

Add enough pincushion for smooth panning (although Henry said the 8x42 HG/L has too much pincushion, which puzzled me?), increase the FOV slightly to 7.5* (they might be able to do that by just moving the field stop), and add an ED element (Henry also said that ED glass wouldn't help, given the amount of lateral CA these have). And add thumb indents.

Instead of merely changing names and labels, and putting all their latest technology in the EDG, Nikon missed the opportunity to "advance the model" with the well reviewed HG/L series by making some changes.

Not everybody is a fan of the open bridge design. Having two top tier bins with different designs like Swaro might boost sales, but only if they could keep the price of the Premier II several hundred dollars under the EDG.

As anyone who has been following various review sites such as Peter Dunne's and allbinos, the ranking of the Premier and the EDG vary wildly depending on whose eyes are looking through them.

Even their top o' the line EDG still has a hard time getting accepted as an "alpha" and I'm not sure the alpha level price on the EDG II is going to help that perception.

After Nikon failed to sell their original HG at a price higher than the alphas were selling at the time and then kept lowering their price to the point where the Premier is now selling new for less (~$899) on eBay than the original HG, and with the EDG I fiasco where they were discounted up to 50%, I think the monetary value of Nikon's top roofs are etched in the minds of the birding community as being of lesser value than the Teutonics, even if that isn't actually the case in terms of image quality and build.

The other factor may be where they are made. "Made in Japan" has come a long way, baby, since I was a baby when it meant what "Made in China" does to many people today - cheap trinkets that won't last.

However, "Made in Japan" still doesn't carry as much cachet as "Made in Germany". I personally don't subscribe to this and feel that Nikon's Japanese bins (including their EIIs and SEs) are among the best made and every bit as good optically, and for the roofs, also mechanically as the "Made in Germany or Austria" bins. But I suspect in this, I'm "the voice of one crying in the wilderness".

Brock

Last edited by brocknroller : Tuesday 19th July 2011 at 19:41.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2011, 22:09   #894
lilcrazy2

Brock
Even in a "bargain thread" we have to be subjected to your endless gibberish and dissertations on Nikon marketing speculation, CA, rolling ball, etc.

There are many great bargains on ebay that sell very quickly - thats why they are great bargains and don't last. You have to pick out an ended auction that benefits no one to launch into another one of your endless diatribes. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Give us a break!!
Old Tuesday 19th July 2011, 23:00   #895
brownpelican1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcrazy2 View Post
Brock
Even in a "bargain thread" we have to be subjected to your endless gibberish and dissertations on Nikon marketing speculation, CA, rolling ball, etc.

There are many great bargains on ebay that sell very quickly - thats why they are great bargains and don't last. You have to pick out an ended auction that benefits no one to launch into another one of your endless diatribes. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Give us a break!!
I know I'm probably going to regret this post but I have to respectfully disagree with Lilcrazy2. I usually enjoy Brock's posts and look forward to his “dissertations”. His is a unique voice that for some of us adds spice and color to the Binocular Forum. I realize that his unique style is not everyone's cup of tea but that's OK. I would hope there is room for all of our thoughts and ramblings on this forum no matter how quirky, unique, pedantic, technical, stuffy, off topic, etc., etc., etc.

Personally, I think we take our subject a little too seriously sometimes. Allow me to paraphrase Robert Northshield from his book “The People's Birds”.

“Afrter long years of trying I have been able to attach myself to my binoculars without becoming anything more then their owner and operator. I'm not their slave and they are not my soul: they have a job to do and when directed properly, do it. I don't mistreat them but I don't revere them. They are a machine that allows me not to be one.”

Tom
Old Wednesday 20th July 2011, 00:58   #896
lilcrazy2

MY Comments Stand!

While Brock certainly has knowledge, experience and opinions of value to add, I don't think his post above was in anyway appropriate to this thread. We've all read the same thing hundreds of times in every other thread, over and over.

If you like clowns - go to the circus

Tom
Old Wednesday 20th July 2011, 01:17   #897
David Swain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcrazy2 View Post
If you like clowns - go to the circus
Umh, heat getting to you? Maybe Brock hasn't seen a shorebird in awhile, so he writes his grand narratives. You probably can get your shorebird fix, so don't be grumpy. Have a beer. Besides, isn't it nice he's gotten the lead out of things?

David (who also needs a shorebird fix)

Nikon 8x32SE, 8x30E II
Old Wednesday 20th July 2011, 02:14   #898
lilcrazy2

David
Just around the back of my redneck All I have to do to see shorebirds is drive up to the local Kmart parking lot about 2 miles away, which saves the extra 20 minute drive to the Delaware River/Bay.

When is a bargain not a bargain?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

When they refund your money for the 2 pairs you bought on Thursday, today claiming an inventory error! I knew it was too good to be true but ya never know. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

tom
Old Wednesday 20th July 2011, 04:34   #899
FrankD

Here are two more bins that might be of a interest to some. The specs look good though they don't list some of the obvious ones. A 7x28 and an 8x32....$19.99 and $29.99 respectively. Phase and silver coated prisms...water/dirt repellent coatings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dakota-7x28-Bino...item3f07b10e9d

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tumi-Dakota-Elit...item3a67df1d92

I ordered one of the 7x28s and will comment on it once it arrives.
Old Wednesday 20th July 2011, 05:19   #900
flossiepip

I see FrankD post 891 is going to check out a set of Barska Huntmaster 8x42s. I bought a set of Maushaus 8x42s some five or more years ago as a back up set. As far as I can tell they are the same binoculars as the Barskas and straight from the box loved them and have used them far more than I should but they have always seemed like lucky bins for me in the terms of birds that I have seen! Used them hard for five years on two continents and still like them.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: